The firm behind Dolmio pasta sauces and Uncle Ben's rice says some products should only be consumed once a week due to high salt, sugar or fat content.
Mars Food said it would distinguish between "everyday" and "occasional" items on packs and website.
The company said some foods were higher in salt, sugar or fat to maintain the "authentic" taste of products.
The advice is part of its Health and Wellbeing Ambition to "create and promote healthier food choices".
Mars told the BBC that just 5% of its products would be labelled "occasional".
These include Dolmio lasagne sauces, pesto, and carbonara and macaroni oven kits.
'More work to do'
Mars said its website would be updated over the next few months with a list of "occasional" products to be eaten not more than once a week, and "everyday" ones.
Those products, including Uncle Ben's oriental sauces, are to be reformulated over the next five years to cut salt, sugar or fat.
Shoppers will see the new guidance appearing on websites in the coming months.
Nutritionist Laura De La Harpe told BBC Radio 5 live it should not be difficult to reduce the sugar content of products.
"The tomatoes are quite sweet anyway," she said. "I think they need to trial it I suppose, and just bring it right down to a natural level. I think what would concern me would be in they start adding sweeteners, artificial sweeteners to replace the sugar."
Mars said its "nutrition criteria" has been developed based on recommendations from leading public health authorities such as the World Health Organization.
Fiona Dawson, a global president of Mars, said: "Our nutrition criteria sets a very high standard for our products, and we also want to help our consumers understand the difference between 'everyday' and 'occasional' products within a balanced diet.
"The food industry has already made great strides in reducing sodium, but we have more work to do to help consumers reduce sodium intake.
"We support release of the US FDA's draft sodium reduction guidance, because we believe it's important to begin a stakeholder dialogue about the role industry can play in this critical part of consumers' diets."
The move comes after Chancellor George Osborne announced a sugar tax, with the aim of tackling childhood obesity, in his recent Budget.

I'm more worried that some people think that people treat an advertising slogan as a diet guideline.

Just fucking make your own pasta sauce anyway. It's not hard.

The little Uncle Ben/Dolmio microwave rice/pasta pots are decent lunches at work though.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

This is why you make your own sauces hmu

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I sure hope Ben & Jerry's is still fine to eat regularly
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
fkin buzz-RAB titles
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
fkin buzz-RAB titles

You won't BELIEVE what they put in their chocolate bars!

There's a Mars production plant in the city I grew up near
It makes pet food
And they dump the rotten unusable meat out early in the mornings
Right when I was driving past for school...
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Sort of a metaphor for your life really isn't it Pasta?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Don't people read what's in the shit they buy? You don't have to be a fucking genius to google RDI for whatever is in it. Or do people simply not care?
Quote by Pastafarian96
There's a Mars production plant in the city I grew up near
It makes pet food
And they dump the rotten unusable meat out early in the mornings
Right when I was driving past for school...

It's like that one song

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Kaleidoscalp
Don't people read what's in the shit they buy? You don't have to be a fucking genius to google RDI for whatever is in it. Or do people simply not care?

The sort of people who need to buy premade bolognese are not the sort of people to research what's in it.

Quote by Banjocal
I sure hope Ben & Jerry's is still fine to eat regularly

+1
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
Quote by RAB11 at #33927540

It's bugs isn't it

The average chocolate bar contains 8 insect bits
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
It's bugs isn't it

well i mean in some cultures they eat incests anyway
Quote by kalypto
well i mean in some cultures they eat incests anyway

Quote by kalypto
in some cultures they eat incests anyway

Quote by kalypto
they eat incests anyway

Quote by kalypto
they eat incests

Quote by kalypto
incests

Quote by kalypto
incest

Quote by kalypto
incest

hue
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Apr 15, 2016,
Reminds me when Coca Cola said that nobody should believe that VitaminWater is good for their health

Quote by Trowzaa
It's bugs isn't it

It'd actually make the food healthier and more nutritious if it had bugs in it instead of sugar/salt/etc.

I don't think I'll ever eat a bug with its bug shape (just like I wouldn't eat a chicken's head with its shape or stuff like that). We just need to create a paste of bug meat and make hot dogs and stuff. I mean, there is a lot of shit in hot dogs, with the usual "you'll vomit when you find out what's in a hot dog", so making it with bugs wouldn't make a difference
the shocking admission is that their food is made from electric eels
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't know why these pasta sauces are so popular. They are basically tinned tomatoes with a few herbs and garlic chucked in. So simple to make your own and far less unhealthy.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
i used to eat those Uncle Ben's microwavable pouches and then i realized they're gross.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Gatecrasher53
fkin buzz-RAB titles

Quote by RAB11

Had the same thought, Heh.
whoever eats this garbage constantly deserves whatever misery that is coming.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana