Hello, Can someone help me with my Floyd rose? It's all the way at the top and it looks like it's going to come out any second. Can someone please help me?

I don't have a photo but it really up and it looks like it is going to pop out.
Quote by hulkisexy
Hello, Can someone help me with my Floyd rose? It's all the way at the top and it looks like it's going to come out any second. Can someone please help me?

I don't have a photo but it really up and it looks like it is going to pop out.

Is it pulled all the way forward? (like say a ramp.) Or it is coming out of the cavity (Flat but at the top of the two pegs).
I'm assuming you mean that it is as if the whammy bar were pressed down all the way? Need some info, what guage strings are you using, what are you tuned to, how many springs are attached to the Floyd in the back, etc.

Pics will help but until then let's start by gathering as much info as possible
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'm assuming you mean that it is as if the whammy bar were pressed down all the way? Need some info, what guage strings are you using, what are you tuned to, how many springs are attached to the Floyd in the back, etc.

Pics will help but until then let's start by gathering as much info as possible

My G string just broke and I use Ernie Ball .009-.042

My Floyd Rose looks like this now: http://postimg.org/image/6mm3t1ffx/

It has 3 springs

And is Tuned in E Standard (EADGBE)
you mean it's raised too much where the studs are?

if you tighten the studs (loosen the strings first so you don't kill the knife edges) that should lower it

it's also angled a bit towards the rear of the guitar (you want it parallel to the top of the guitar), so you could tighten the claw round the back a bit.

but you want to get new strings on first because you need to balance the trem's springs versus the string tension.

you also want to jam something under the trem to block it while you're changing strings. you want to do that before you do anything else. assuming that's a pic of your guitar and not just a random pic you got off the internet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you mean it's raised too much where the studs are?

if you tighten the studs (loosen the strings first so you don't kill the knife edges) that should lower it

it's also angled a bit towards the rear of the guitar (you want it parallel to the top of the guitar), so you could tighten the claw round the back a bit.

but you want to get new strings on first because you need to balance the trem's springs versus the string tension.

you also want to jam something under the trem to block it while you're changing strings. you want to do that before you do anything else. assuming that's a pic of your guitar and not just a random pic you got off the internet.

I don't get what that means. I do understand what you mean about the new strings and the trem to block it part.

Do you think I should bring to Guitar Center to set up the Floyd Rose? Is it worth the money?
Quote by hulkisexy
I don't get what that means. I do understand what you mean about the new strings and the trem to block it part.

Do you think I should bring to Guitar Center to set up the Floyd Rose? Is it worth the money?

Guitar Center are useless when it comes to setups and anything technical. Most of the people you'll find there will be just as clueless as you are... No offense intended.

It would be so much easier if guitars with Floyds included instructional guides on how to set them up properly. But then if that happened not so many people would be wasting so much money on trying to get Guitar Center to 'fix' their Dimebag ML's when they only wanted to tune down to drop D...

There are tons and tons of guides online for on how to set up a Floyd Rose-style bridge. Hit up Google. There are also tons of videos on Youtube that'll teach you how to do essentially the same thing.

Presumably you don't want to mess around with the action or the intonation. You just want to get the guitar restrung and playing again. If that's the case, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qLi_cWQLc

If you need to adjust the Floyd's action and/or intonation, then you can look up separate videos for that too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Guitar Center are useless when it comes to setups and anything technical. Most of the people you'll find there will be just as clueless as you are... No offense intended.

It would be so much easier if guitars with Floyds included instructional guides on how to set them up properly. But then if that happened not so many people would be wasting so much money on trying to get Guitar Center to 'fix' their Dimebag ML's when they only wanted to tune down to drop D...

There are tons and tons of guides online for on how to set up a Floyd Rose-style bridge. Hit up Google. There are also tons of videos on Youtube that'll teach you how to do essentially the same thing.

Presumably you don't want to mess around with the action or the intonation. You just want to get the guitar restrung and playing again. If that's the case, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qLi_cWQLc

If you need to adjust the Floyd's action and/or intonation, then you can look up separate videos for that too.

I changed them but then the Floyd Rose goes crazy and goes either up or down.

My E string and G string broke twice because of it. I don't why :/
Is the post on the bass side coming out? Something doesn't look right. Can you screw it in or I guess rather push it in? I'd remove all the strings until you can get that resolved first.
The bridge is sunk in in the back because the string is broke. So don't mess with the trem claw screws or springs until you get it all strung with new strings. The post on the left looks fine it does not look like the insert is lifting out at all, it's just adjusted to high. You kind of want to keep both posts/sides adjusted pretty close to the same height on Floyd Rose's.

The one side being adjusted so high is probably why the bridge is acting funny. The knife edges are at an extreme angle on the post slots which can cause problems with stability. I wouldn't bother lowering it until you restring. You want to try and avoid screwing them in/out under string tension.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Apr 16, 2016,
^ yeah. i probably should have put that first in my post.

there's a sticky thread about floyd roses too, there might be some info there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I say give the videos and the Floyd set up thread a try but if your Floyd is that far out of whack and you are strugglinge to get it sorted, take it to a tech for a re-string and set up, just avoid Guitar Center and look for a store with a reputable tech.

If you have no experience and with what looks like multiple issues, string height, spring tension etc. it may be better to get a pro set up, once everything is set correctly it will be easier for you to watch videos and do the adjustments yourself.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Do you know how to tune the guitar? You need to replace the strings and get it tuned correctly and the trem will go back to how it should sit.
Quote by hulkisexy
I changed them but then the Floyd Rose goes crazy and goes either up or down.

My E string and G string broke twice because of it. I don't why :/

Read this.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Floyd_Rose#How_it_works

What is basically happening is that as you're stringing the guitar up, you're putting the bridge under more tension. The more tension the bridge is put under as you're stringing, the more the bridge falls forward. When the string tension releases, the bridge falls backwards into the cavity under it.

If the guitar is missing some strings, the bridge is going to fall backwards because there's not enough overall string tension to pull the bridge forwards enough for it to sit level.

What governs how much the bridge moves backwards and forwards are the strings pulling the bridge one way, and the springs in the back of the guitar pulling the other way. In order for the bridge to sit level with the plane of the body as it should, the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar need to be pulling equal tension backwards that the strings are pulling it forwards.

So therefore you cannot set up and play the guitar properly without having a full set of strings on it first. So restring the guitar and tune all the string up to pitch. You need to fully stretch out all the strings and retune them as many times as you have to for the strings to stop detuning when you try and stretch them.

Once all the strings are fully tuned up to pitch, THEN you can adjust the amount of spring tension in the back of the guitar so that the bridge sits level with the plane of the body while the guitar is perfectly in tune.

Of course, doing this requires a lot of re-tuning of the guitar because as you affect the tension of one, you affect the tension (and therefore the tuning) of the other. You just have to keep adjusting the springs using the screws that mount them to the claw in the back of the guitar, and retuning the guitar to see how much further adjustment you need to make.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 19, 2016,