I'm entertaining snagging a bass to have on hand for a few reasons: learning and understanding the rhythm section better & recording. If I need amps, I'll just dick around in Rocksmith.

My main focus will be metal and I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm looking at the likes of the Ibanez GSR200 or Washburn XB-100. I'm not brand-centric, but I'm impressed with the WG-587, so I'm considering the XB-100. I don't know if the P-style pickups will be the best configuration for my needs. From what I understand, they have a noise-cancelling nature like humbuckers do on guitars. To me, that seems up my alley, but, then assumptions don't always end well.

When/if I buy, it'll be used, and I'm looking under $200 as an estimate. More than price, I'm interested in what to look for in a bass aimed at recording.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I have seen those pop up when I searched Guitar Center. Seems like Ibanez has a fair amount of options.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Most basses are probably single coils of one kind or another, and all seem to do very well with recording.

I had the same reasons for getting into bass a few years ago, and I found a Fender Squire Skull Bass on a GC used wall for around $100, with gig bag. Silly looking thing, all black, with a skull and crossbones graphic on the body and as the inlay at the 12th fret (I've taken it to play with a P&W band, where it gets giggles). It's a basic passive pickup (Precision and Jazz bass pickups) with basic tone controls. Playability was very good, and I had them toss in (and install) a new set of strings. it's been excellent for almost everything, honestly. I eventually added a Carvin LB75 five-string with active controls, neck-through construction and a full 24-fret board, but for most things the Fender is more than adequate.