I'm looking for an amp that can give me a John Mayer tone. I almost decided on the VHT Special 6 + a 1x12 cab, but then i found a Blues Jr. NOS for a very good price. And it got me thinking. I know John Mayer himself uses a BJr NOS, but the amp seems to get bashed all over the internet. Your opinion?
I would not worry about getting the NOS Blues Jr. Just go with the regular version if it saves you money.

The reason the Blues Jr. gets a bad rep is mainly because the power tubes are biased really hot. Some people have had issues, some people do not. It is not too difficult of work from an amp tech to fix it.
Quote by Will Lane
I would not worry about getting the NOS Blues Jr. Just go with the regular version if it saves you money.

The reason the Blues Jr. gets a bad rep is mainly because the power tubes are biased really hot. Some people have had issues, some people do not. It is not too difficult of work from an amp tech to fix it.

The Blues Jr. NOS is only 20 euro's more than the regular. And i like the tweed look better than the tolex. If you had to choose beween the three, which would you choose?
Blues Jr amps do run on the hot side, but, if you're concerned about the heat just point a small fan at the back of the amp while jamming in the bedroom.

The stock speaker is a point of contention for a lot of people. I know quite a few folks who really like the stock fender/eminence speaker. I know others who despise it. YMMV.

With any amp, there will be those who love it and those who hate it. There will be those who keep them stock and others who go on a modding quest. I think the Blues Jr. is a fine sounding amp and probably right up your alley for the style of music you like to pay. I'm not sure if the Blues Junior has the same volume jump issue that the other Fender amps (Hot Rod Series) have. If it does, it might be on the loud side. Hopefully that won't be an issue for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Blues Jr amps do run on the hot side, but, if you're concerned about the heat just point a small fan at the back of the amp while jamming in the bedroom.

The stock speaker is a point of contention for a lot of people. I know quite a few folks who really like the stock fender/eminence speaker. I know others who despise it. YMMV.

With any amp, there will be those who love it and those who hate it. There will be those who keep them stock and others who go on a modding quest. I think the Blues Jr. is a fine sounding amp and probably right up your alley for the style of music you like to pay. I'm not sure if the Blues Junior has the same volume jump issue that the other Fender amps (Hot Rod Series) have. If it does, it might be on the loud side. Hopefully that won't be an issue for you.

The Blues Jr. NOS has the Jensen C12N speaker, not the Eminence. The Eminence speaker is in the standard version of the Blues Jr. So, the Blues Jr. is my best choice for Mayer tones? I will be using pedals btw. (Mainly TS-808).
it's a good while since I tried a blues junior but if it's not much more than the vht i'd take it over the vht I think. the pro jr is pretty nice too but you have no master volume with it. but some players prefer its tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played on a Pro Jr. too and I am not fond of it. Breaks up way too early, and the limited controls hold it back rather than make it a selling point. I'd suggest the Blues Jr. over the Pro Jr.
The Blues Jr. it will be. This was much easier than i thought it would be Thanks for the input.
Quote by thegill
Blues Jr. NOS has the Jensen C12N speaker, not the Eminence. The Eminence speaker is in the standard version of the Blues Jr. So, the Blues Jr. is my best choice for Mayer tones? I will be using pedals btw. (Mainly TS-808).

Go with the one with the Jensen.I prefer them for the traditional Fender sound.