Hi everybody,

The reason I pick up a guitar is because of Queen and Gun n' Roses but now I've officially become a metal fan.

I've try to play most of the Queen song for many times but fail miserably! I also try some Ozzy's song and his guitarist Randy Rhoads just went insane with his song.

They are so technical and complex. I wonder how they invent these melody!

Why is it so complex and hard to play?

Sorry for my poor Grammar as English is not my first language.
Well, because that's the way they express themselves musically, and that's the extreme technical ability they bring with them to get the job done.

I really don't know what other answer you could have expected.
What do you think about the melody?

Do they learn all those weird chord and apply it to their song?
It's seem like they know variety of chords and they never use what I call Pop chord
Well, since you mentioned "metal", I have a few thoughts about that.

first, if there's any "metal" going to be listened to by me, it's going to be "symphonic metal" which is melodic in the extreme.

As for the exotic chords, when I first took up guitar, my instructor stressed chord substitutions, which is basically placing extended chords in the place of basic triads. He lost me there, as I think that certain chords are simply grating on the guitar. OTOH, dominant 7th chords and whatnot are wonderful sounding in the context of being played on the piano, the pipe organ, or by a full orchestra.

Another factor is this, guitar players have egos, it's what drives them. Accordingly, a given "virtuoso", is likely to stand there and force you to watch how well he or she can play the guitar. That pretty much sums up Keith Emerson, although granted, he is primarily a pianist.

As for Queen, I'm sorry to report, my favorite song of theirs is, "'39", which as you're likely aware, is a I, IV, V masterpiece of open chords on the 12 string.

So, country and folk, salong with a lot of pop, have more than plenty of C, D, G, to get them through the night.

As for metal, if you discount most of the solo work, it's a lot of down tuned chugging in minor keys.

I'd suggest you learn about chord substitution, and just as importantly, try and get a hold of some slow down software to help with decoding what those fast, fast, players are doing. The "Amazing Slow Downer", springs instantly to mind, and that search term will lead you right to their site.
Quote by sosxradar
What do you think about the melody?

Do they learn all those weird chord and apply it to their song?
It's seem like they know variety of chords and they never use what I call Pop chord

Randy plays a lot of power chords. Many Queen guitar riffs are also power chord stuff, but Queen isn't necessarily that guitar-oriented band (at least when compared to other rock bands). Neither of them use that much "weird" chords. I mean, they are mostly power chords and major and minor chords.

But yeah, they play technical stuff because they can. It's not difficult for them. There are really no shortcuts - you just need to practice. Remember that they had been playing for a long time before they could write/play those songs. Learning to play well is not easy. If it was, everybody would be a great guitarist and there would be nothing special in what Randy Rhoads or Brian May played.

If you want to make sense of the chord progressions they are using, I would suggest training your ears. Also, learn about chord functions (the Roman numerals).

How to train your ears? Just learn songs by ear.

And how do they come up with the melodies? Well, they just hear something in their head. Ear training and listening to a lot of music will help with coming up with melodies.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 17, 2016,
I just play Crazy Train riff with my ears and a guitar.
I also play Welcome to the jungle by ear but I can't do the first solo because it's seem like Slash using some blue lick that I never seen before.
^ What may help is the isolated guitar track for Welcome to the Jungle on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RS3oL53om4

Another thing is slowing the song down. Even Youtube can do that (you can play the video at 0.5x speed).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thank you for the advice!!!
I never listen to isolated track before. I just play what I heard.
They didn't start out that way. They came up through the ranks of playing things that were likely simple. What is different about them, is they stuck with it and got better. They probably didnt need anyone to tell them to practice, they just played and played. They learned the songs of their heroes to a high level of proficiency, and all of these things helped them ultimately find their own musical voice.

But at one time, they were just like us, the difference is what drives them from inside are actions, not talk. They put the time into it, they didn't sit around saying "I wanna be this". They went out and did it. I firmly believe that it comes from the inside.

Not everyone has that to the same degree.

Best,

Sean
Well Brian May and Randy Rhoads were no slouches. They were definitely not average guitarists. Rhoads was among the earlier popular players to shred like that, and May just solid all around and creative with unusually complex material.

I wouldn't get too down about it. What inspires you and what you practice day-to-day don't have to be the same thing. You put that kind of playing within reach one step a time, just like they did.

Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ What may help is the isolated guitar track for Welcome to the Jungle on Youtube.

[ALL SLASH TRACK]

Another thing is slowing the song down. Even Youtube can do that (you can play the video at 0.5x speed).

I'm astonished how harsh the editing is in the left channel. Even for a "background" track.
Last edited by cdgraves at Apr 18, 2016,