Hey, everyone, I am looking for a new acoustic, I broke my entry-level alvarez the other day, and am looking for some guidance. My max would be around 500 dollars. I am hoping to find something solid rather than HPL. Any suggestions? I was looking at some open-box martins, or used Taylors, though they're more in the 700 range.

I'm heading down to guitar center Monday to play some, so in the meantime give me ideas! THanks!
I'm enjoying Recording King guitars - great sound and playability and I'm impressed with their quality and reasonable prices. They also do some unusual styles - makes a change.

I think GC stock a few models so they might be worth a look.

And I've heard good words about Blueridge but I've never played one - not common here in the UK - so I can't give an opinion.
Are you partial to a particular shape or soundboard wood? Is it for home or performance? Do you need electronics? Fingerpicking more or strumming more?
Strumming, picking, but I use a pick, home, mahogany, and I don't really want pick ups, if I can find a better quality instrument without them.
I would second Recording King. They have a good reputation, others are Yamaha and LaSiDo (Seagull, Norman, A&L, La Patrie). There are a lot of good Chinese-made guitars out there these days, you just have to find one that appeals to you and has a decent neck angle - that is, plenty of saddle left showing after it has been set up to your liking.
The HPL is a synthetic made from natural fibres mixed with resin, very similar to Formica/Laminex and the Richlite used for fingerboards. Some Martins are made from it, but all the Mexi-made Taylors are timber laminate, AFAIK. I don't know whether the timber laminate Martins are Mexi or US made, or both.

FWIW, I've got nothing against laminate b&s, and my favourite for fingerpicking also has a laminate top. Ya gotta trust your ears.
@OP: I'd recommend a used Taylor if you can find one. I see 110s and 114s listed occasionally for $400 or so on Craigslist, and those are great guitars. If you want to go new the best you can get for under $500 is the Taylor BigBaby, in my opinion. It's 15/16 scale, so it's pretty much a regular dreadnaught (unlike the 3/4 scale Baby). I see BigBabies going for $200 or so on Craigslist frequently. You really can't go wrong with Taylor, they make great stuff.

Spoil yourself a little, get a Taylor.
Last edited by TobusRex at Apr 18, 2016,
Quote by LostThinker
For American made, will I have to buy an expensive tayler or martin?

Probably. And what will you gain . . . . ?
The satisfaction from not purchasing a guitar that has had the work outsourced--nothing more.
Quote by LostThinker
The satisfaction from not purchasing a guitar that has had the work outsourced--nothing more.
Start saving your pennies. Principles cost money, how righteous do you want to be?
Quote by Captaincranky
Start saving your pennies. Principles cost money, how righteous do you want to be?

Not righteous. I played a drs1 mahogany dreadnought, and bought it...
Quote by LostThinker
So we're leaving here and going to your "happy new guitar day thread" now?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 22, 2016,
Quote by LostThinker

Hahaha...so much for that $500 limit!!

Been there before bro Went into a store to shop awhile back and ended up walking out with a carbon fiber guitar that cost twice as much as I'd intended spending

Congrats!