So after about 8 or 9 months or so of playing, I can get through Enter Sandman, Fade to Black, Crazy Train (With a few screw-ups here and there) and I can do the downpicked intro to Master of Puppets and play the riff to Battery (only on good days)

I like Metallica a lot, but are there any other metal songs I could learn that aren't too huge of a step up from what I know? I would prefer some Metallica songs, but I think Dethklok/Lamb of God/Megadeth would be fine too. Any suggestions?
Try Megadeth's Poison Was the Cure
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Smoke on the Water. Cos you probably know the intro riff. Why not learn the rest of the song that 99% of people don't bother learning?
Quote by Rebel Scum
Smoke on the Water. Cos you probably know the intro riff. Why not learn the rest of the song that 99% of people don't bother learning?

Yeah, Smoke on the Water probably wouldn't hurt. But at the same time, I would like to get something just a tad bit faster than Fade to Black to work my speed up a bit more. I want to be able to play things like The Shortest Straw, Dyers Eve, Battery (Got the riff down), and some other songs with quick riffs/solos but those songs' solos are a lot faster than I what I can handle right now.
Quote by ElMaco
Try Megadeth's Poison Was the Cure

Just looked at the tabs for it, and yeah that's a pretty nice song. I think i'm going to give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by Rebel Scum at #33929858

because it's not good
Quote by master_memer
Yeah, Smoke on the Water probably wouldn't hurt. But at the same time, I would like to get something just a tad bit faster than Fade to Black to work my speed up a bit more. I want to be able to play things like The Shortest Straw, Dyers Eve, Battery (Got the riff down), and some other songs with quick riffs/solos but those songs' solos are a lot faster than I what I can handle right now.

In that case try some Randy Rhoads stuff from the Blizzard of Oz. The solo's for Revelation (Mother Earth) and Mr. Crowley are fast but not too fast and damn good.
That username tho...
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
try the black album

of wolf and man
don't tread on me
through the never
holier than thou

they got sick riffs that are super fun
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Chances are that you're not that near intermediate if you have been playing 8 or 9 months and changes are that you can't really play the songs that you listed. See, there is a big difference between memorizing the notes of a song and actually being able to play the song.

The problem is that beginning players haven't developed their ears sufficiently to hear what they are actually playing. They hear their favorite song while an experienced musician hears tons of goof ups in timing, muting, intonation, etc. There are a lot of tiny details that make separate good playing from just memorizing the notes.

Even things like getting good, consistent palm muting and pick strokes makes "simple" riffs a lot harder than most people would think.

Just keep all that in mind when you practice and try to look for little details like that. It might not seem significant, but it makes a world of difference.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
there is a big difference between memorizing the notes of a song and actually being able to play the song.

The problem is that beginning players haven't developed their ears sufficiently to hear what they are actually playing. They hear their favorite song while an experienced musician hears tons of goof ups in timing, muting, intonation, etc. There are a lot of tiny details that make separate good playing from just memorizing the notes.

I sure agree with the top line. That being said it's still thrilling for a new player to learn the notes of a song. I remember the first song I ever learned to play "accurately" was a slow Willie Nelson song. Did it sound great? Hell no....I'm not sure it sounds any better 30 years later either!

It's unfortunate, in a way, that you are a professional musician. It seems as if it would reduce your enjoyment of music played by other guitarists. I'm not particularly good, myself, so I get to like it all
take away the play along music or put me in front of people, my playing usually goes to shit. learning to practice and play in a nonchalant way is good too. I tend to get to into a zone of thinking to hard about what I'm doing
Quote by Primus2112
try the black album

of wolf and man
don't tread on me
through the never
holier than thou

they got sick riffs that are super fun

Yeah I would really like to give Wherever I May Roam a shot, but I have a hard time getting some of the faster parts to sound right in the solo. I have barely practiced that one though, so maybe I should give it a shot. Don't Tread on Me could also be fun, I have never tried it.
Quote by theogonia777
Chances are that you're not that near intermediate if you have been playing 8 or 9 months and changes are that you can't really play the songs that you listed. See, there is a big difference between memorizing the notes of a song and actually being able to play the song.

Even things like getting good, consistent palm muting and pick strokes makes "simple" riffs a lot harder than most people would think.

Just keep all that in mind when you practice and try to look for little details like that. It might not seem significant, but it makes a world of difference.

Yeah, as I said I still mess up Crazy Train regularly especially during the second fill, and the least burst of speed at the end of the solo, but Enter Sandman and Fade to Black I can play pretty smoothly. I'm sure there are some pretty deep techniques and things i'm missing, but those just need to be worked on with time I suppose. Also, I didn't really try learning Fade to Black until about a month and a half ago, and Enter Sandman I tried learning about 2 months ago. The only things I did before actually bothering to learn any songs was pentatonic scales and I'm actually trying to speed up the Phyrgian Dominant scale right now. I also just did a ton of warmup book exercises and stuff.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Buy a metronome.

Yeah I practice with a metronome on my phone almost every time I practice something.