Do you regret selling your Peavey Classic 20 / 30 / 50 ?

If you don't, what did you replace it with?
I still have my Classic 50, so no regrets here. It's a solid amp that does a lot of things well. For the price, it's pretty hard to beat. I don't know if I would regret selling mine though. They can be found for reasonable prices on the used market, so picking another one up wouldn't be that hard.

If I were to sell my Classic 50, it would be to scratch up cash towards an old Fender Bassman amp. I'm not entirely sure that I'm ready to go that route yet.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Buy a delta blues 1x15" and keep it.I loved that thing.

I can't say regret, but if one was up for a good price, i would pick one up myself. They are nice amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I regret losing my Classic 30 to a pawn shop back in '95. I replaced it with a Peavey Studio Pro 112 'cause that's all I could afford at the time. Then I stopped playing for about 12 years. Coincidence? hmmm...
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Peavey Classics, like Fender HRD, are mediocre entry level tube amps - they can definitely get the job done, but they don't inspire like boutique amps and vintage amps. They are good for the price, but I certainly would not miss one.
Quote by reverb66
Peavey Classics, like Fender HRD, are mediocre entry level tube amps - they can definitely get the job done, but they don't inspire like boutique amps and vintage amps. They are good for the price, but I certainly would not miss one.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^LOL

If you are good then you are inspired by your playing. If you are crappy like me then you are inspired by new fancy s**t that everyone says is the cat's meow.
Quote by Arby911

that was great got a good laugh. can't say i agree with boutique and vintage amps being all that much better. many boutique amps are just straight up copies of old fender amps which is fine if that is what you like but hardly inspiring for many players. vintage amps are like anything else some are great and many are just ok. the whole "its vintage so it must be awesome" thing is getting old. an amp that gets the job done seems like a good one to me.

a lot of my blues playing gets done on my Peavey Valveking and that works just fine. many of the great blues tones were done with less than stellar gear and those now vintage amps were new at the time.
If the only thing inspiring enough is booteek then I cry for your wallet.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Arby911

Is it just me or does the guy on there(should I know who it actually is? actually fuck it, I don't really care) look like Penn Jillette after like 6 months of meth(for the teeth) followed by 3 months of getting 5-a-day(of KFC)?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Is it just me or does the guy on there(should I know who it actually is? actually fuck it, I don't really care) look like Penn Jillette after like 6 months of meth(for the teeth) followed by 3 months of getting 5-a-day(of KFC)?

That's Steven Seagal of beat-em-up movie/fat guy fame.

I do kind of see the resemblance though with the qualifiers you laid out.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by fly135
I think he's the product of Val Halen having sex with Steven Seagal.

Now that you mention that makes more sense, it does look like some photo splicing went down.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain at #33933498
Now that you mention that makes more sense, it does look like some photo splicing went down.

The face is from a Van Halen picture. The body is Seagal

VH source image (the one on the right and mirrored)

Seagal source image:

Unfortunately, Steven actually playing guitar is real and not shopped.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It didnt take long. I just searched "fat jackass playing guitar" and "van halen teeth".

Got both pictures on the first page
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by monwobobbo
that was great got a good laugh. can't say i agree with boutique and vintage amps being all that much better. many boutique amps are just straight up copies of old fender amps which is fine if that is what you like but hardly inspiring for many players. vintage amps are like anything else some are great and many are just ok. the whole "its vintage so it must be awesome" thing is getting old. an amp that gets the job done seems like a good one to me.

a lot of my blues playing gets done on my Peavey Valveking and that works just fine. many of the great blues tones were done with less than stellar gear and those now vintage amps were new at the time.

Jokes about rich fat people over twice my age aside, the reason boutique amps and (some) vintage amps generally sound better is because they use better quality parts and have better designs.

Peavey, Fender, Marshall and a host of others went cheap on design and parts and outsourced labor to save on costs and either keep prices low and/or make more profit. Profits over quality - so the reason people still seek out vintage amps or boutique amps has really nothing to do with magic or fat wallets - it has everything to do with the design and tone.

Peavey has never been about quality and has always been about affordable mediocre amps, so it's hard to judge them - but Fender and Marshall went from top of the line to mediocre to make money - which is why their vintage amps are still sought after. Even their reissues aren't actual reissues - they're neutered affordable versions.

Some companies, like Mesa, have managed to make affordable great and modern amps. Other companies, boutique builders etc, are basically just making the amps Fender and Marshall should actually be making - using the quality parts and designs without the cost cutting.

This is all difficult to comprehend for people with not enough experience or who just don't have the ability ( yet) to hear the difference. For some people the difference, even if they can hear it, doesn't matter or justify the price.
I bought a Delta Blues but I returned it. It simply didn't wow me and it was too heavy for what it was. I went back to my GT-10 and I'm still searching for an amp. The Mesa Express Plus 5:25 and the Supro Saturn Reverb are leading the pack. But who knows, I might just stick to digital and get a Helix or an AX8.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Arby911

I didn't mean to offend you - I was just giving my opinion about gear on a forum. Clearly you're very sensitive about the subject and you acted out.

It's ok, I forgive you.

We can move past this I'm sure.
Quote by reverb66
Jokes about rich fat people over twice my age aside, the reason boutique amps and (some) vintage amps generally sound better is because they use better quality parts and have better designs.

Peavey, Fender, Marshall and a host of others went cheap on design and parts and outsourced labor to save on costs and either keep prices low and/or make more profit. Profits over quality - so the reason people still seek out vintage amps or boutique amps has really nothing to do with magic or fat wallets - it has everything to do with the design and tone.

Peavey has never been about quality and has always been about affordable mediocre amps, so it's hard to judge them - but Fender and Marshall went from top of the line to mediocre to make money - which is why their vintage amps are still sought after. Even their reissues aren't actual reissues - they're neutered affordable versions.

Some companies, like Mesa, have managed to make affordable great and modern amps. Other companies, boutique builders etc, are basically just making the amps Fender and Marshall should actually be making - using the quality parts and designs without the cost cutting.

This is all difficult to comprehend for people with not enough experience or who just don't have the ability ( yet) to hear the difference. For some people the difference, even if they can hear it, doesn't matter or justify the price.

reverb buddy i'm kinda on the vintage side myself (i'm 55) and have been playing guitar for well over 30 years.

it is a common belief that Fender and Marshall used way better parts intentionally back in the day. truth be told they didn't. granted many parts were made better at the time but they often were the cheapest thing that would do the job. both were still production made amps in factories same as today.

both also still make amps the way they used to and charge accordingly. you just plain aren't going to get amps made like they used to cheap be it boutique or custom shop made. it's not like they can just upgrade a couple of parts on the production models and sell them cheap (relative to the boutique models).

while Peavey has tried to produce quality gear at affordable prices to say they didn't try for quality is just not true. i'll happily put up my Ultra against whatever you have and not worry about being embarrased. as for the Valveking it is an affordable tube amp and that is what it was meant to be. it does deliver decent tones and actually does pretty well for blues and blues rock as well as much classic rock. sure it isn't a metal machine and isn't going to sound as good as a Mesa (which costs 3x as much).
Quote by reverb66
I didn't mean to offend you - I was just giving my opinion about gear on a forum. Clearly you're very sensitive about the subject and you acted out.

It's ok, I forgive you.

I just think it's funny when people use words like "inspired" in this context.

I've been inside a number of "vintage" amps, and even a few considered "boutique".

The vintage ones were made to a price point and reflect it, just like today's amps. Nothing special for the most part.

Some "boutique" is nicely made using quality components, some of it is crap, and much of it is somewhere in the middle.

IIRC, a brief inspection of the previous incarnation of Peavey Vypyr (tube) amps showed a very high quality level in the components, many of them the same ones touted on the more "boutique" sites. I think you underestimate the power of bulk purchasing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by reverb66

Just because an amp comes with a cheap price tag doesn't mean that it was made poorly. I bought my classic 30 about 4 years ago, and the person I bought it from had gigged with it since the mid 90's. It's held up great, and sounds great.

And it is possible that if a person doesn't hear a difference between a boutique amp and a mass produced amp, there is no difference.

To answer the original question, I haven't sold my classic 30. I'm sure I would regret it a while after but they are easy enough to buy used again.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
I just bought a Classic 30 a few months ago. Loving it so far! Anyone that says it's not a "quality" amp is full of #2. The thing is bullet-proof, as have all of the Peaveys I've owned. Going on 6 years with my 6505 without any issues that I couldn't fix myself; most of them were just bad tubes.

As for that comment about "Peaveys being mediocre" amps -- I take issue with that. They are a large company so they've always been able to produce affordable amps due to economies of scale.

And...tone is subjective. Both my 6505 and my Classic 30 can produce some amazing tones in their own ways. You don't need to have been playing for 30+ years to understand what good tone is (though, I've been playing for over 20 years, for the record). You don't even need to be a guitar player to know what good guitar tone is -- and I say it's arrogant to claim otherwise. Anyone who listens to and appreciates music can think anything they damn well want about tone.

The Classic series of amps from Peavey have excellent, Fenderish cleans and nice, warm, yet aggressive overdrive tones. One thing that really surprised me about my C 30 was how many different tones I can get out of it. I'm used to my 6505 which is somewhat more limited (though what it does, it does BETTER than most amps I've ever heard). Anyway, the Classic series are great amps that will serve any rock/blues/country/and yes even hard rock and old-school metal player very well. If you're not satisfied with the tone, maybe it's your playing?

My $.02
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 19, 2016,
I still have mine , don't get used much anymore .... but it's a very solid , well built amp that's can be gigged ( that's why we are talking about them now )..... I get it out when I have friends to come over to jam ... or .... I take it for a grab-and-go amp when I go to a friends house to jam and pack light ..... ain't nothing wrong with a Classic
Quote by reverb66

It's ok, I forgive you.

time to buck up. whatcha got?. Let's see your collection.

I will match you pic for pic.

arrogance is a negative trait, it won't get you anywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
time to buck up. whatcha got?. Let's see your collection.

I will match you pic for pic.

arrogance is a negative trait, it won't get you anywhere.

Agreed - my apologies for the arrogance yesterday- sometimes the internet brings out the worst in us.

As for the gear,

My previous gear:

Amps: Peavey Bandit, Marshall Valvestate halfstack, Tubeworks 2x12, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 2x12,

Effects: Boss Metal Zone, Ds1, Tubescreamer, Compressor/sustainer, Zoom Delay, DOD FX 7, Boss EQ, Digitech jamman, Boss Octaver, Holy Grail reverb, Holy Grail Cathedral, Line 6 Delay ( DL4), Xotic RC Booster, Fulltone OCD .

Current Gear :

Guitars : Silhouette Special HSS ( Musicman - my main guitar) and an American Standard Strat ( backup guitar)

Amps : Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12, Roland Micro Cube and Bias Desktop( sim)

Effects: Xotic BB Preamp, Xotic AC Booster, hand made local clean boost, Eventide Timefactor, Pharaoh Fuzz ( Blackarts Toneworks), mini Holy Grail (used only if necessary when using a backline amp at a gig with weak reverb.)

Prior to buying the Lonestar, which was more expensive than what I was hoping to spend, I rented the following amps in the hopes of buying them if they made the cut:

Peavey Classic 1x12 ( good amp, but similar to the HRD which I was trying to upgrade from - better I would say in terms of volume/tone , but in the same ballpark generally)

Vox AC 30 ( surprisingly great for the price, but not the right fit)

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue - great amp when you can hit the sweetspot, but sounds weak until you do and not at all versatile

In the end, the Lonestar blew away all the other amps I tried. I've even played a vintage 60's Vibrolux and a 60's Fender deluxe at some shows and they did not hold up to the Lonestar, which really surprised me.

As you can see from the gear I've owned, I've been through the extensive process of trying to use pedals to fix an amp's tone - the solid state amps were the worst by far - they were terrible, misleading from a marketing standpoint, and not worth the money. The HRD was poorly designed from a volume standpoint, but decent for sure, though the reverb was unusable and terrible - which is why I needed the Holy Grail pedal at that time.

I use the Roland Micro Cube from practicing sometimes and for parties etc, so I'm not above using inexpensive gear. Bias Amp sim is my main practicing and writing tool - since it sounds decent with headphones and saves me from micing the amp to rehearse or write.
Last edited by reverb66 at Apr 20, 2016,
You might find that something like an HRD or a C30 isn't inspiring tonewise for you, but on the other hand lots of people use those amps and really like them. They definitely get inspired by the tones they can produce with them so it's not fair to say something like "well only old amps or boutique stuff are inspiring" cause it's simply not true.

It's also not really fair to assume that if you don't think that a boutique is automatically better, then you aren't experienced. Tone is a preference. Just because you like something better doesn't mean everybody will.

In my experience, I've owned old Marshalls, a Peavey, a few Fenders, a Laney, a few Boogies, an AC30 and a Blackstar. Out of all of the amps I have owned some of my favorites have been on the cheaper scale. Like I loved the Excelsior I owned and that thing costed me 300 bucks new. If I never bothered trying it because I just assumed it would be crap cause it's not made by CAE or Carr then I would be the sucker at the end of the day.

Either way, no harm, no foul. At least we had some fun at Seagal's expense yesterday
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
reverb66- all is well. Thanks for apologizing.

I have most of my amps on my profile if you want to look. I don't feel like typing that all out.

any piece of gear can be inspiring, it's just a place and a time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!