Well I think this is the 4th thread on the subject I've made on this board in about 8 years. After not having an amp and then getting a Vox VX II, I want to get a tube amp again. My budget isn't a huge issue as I'm looking to finance this purchase through one of the major guitar sites but I'd like to stay below $1000. I usually play anything from Surf (have a great reverb pedal so all I need are good cleans), through Blues (like a good neck pickup and moderate gain from the amp but I also have a nice fuzz). I like classic rock like UFO or Kansas and heavier modern stuff (Foo Fighters is big for me, mainly their first album, recorded on a JCM900 (look for "I'll Stick Around" that's the kind of tone I like.) I do indulge in metal but it's nothing super heavy (Marilyn Manson may be the heaviest). I have an Agile Al-2000 as my guitar. I've been drooling over Sweetwater's DSL-40C with the upgraded speaker. I'd love a Mess but I don't think I can afford one and they don't hit the Marshall Sound well. Hit me with reccomendations. Thanks guys.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Yeah, I'd get the DSL40 with the upgraded speaker. I've got one that I put in a head cab and it's great. There's a huge thread on this amp at the Marshall forum - tons of info about mods and upgrades if you're into that kind of thing.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Alright good. Have Seen mixed opinions on it online. I've played one twice and will attempt to again before any purchase. First time I was not impressed. Second time after I became a marshall can I really liked it but couldn't afford it. I'll try a third time.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Alright good. Have Seen mixed opinions on it online. I've played one twice and will attempt to again before any purchase. First time I was not impressed. Second time after I became a marshall can I really liked it but couldn't afford it. I'll try a third time.

Why weren't you impressed the first time? What aspect of the amp wasn't good?
This was like 3 or 4 years ago. It was a demo model at guitar center. I think I had it low and I just thought it sounded a bit dry/flat at the time. Similar to a solid state clean channel.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
This was like 3 or 4 years ago. It was a demo model at guitar center. I think I had it low and I just thought it sounded a bit dry/flat at the time. Similar to a solid state clean channel.

I thought it might be the harsh highs you get without the speaker upgrade. I've heard many praise the clean channel, and say it's better than something like a Blaster HT, but it's personal preference in the end...