we had this old chap and i guess his wife come in the store saying that they got the wrong set of strings and needed a different set. he said "i accidentally got the set of 5 strings. i need the set of 10."

so immediately i am thrown off because he got a 6-string set, at a normal gauge for an acoustic guitar. i ask "10 string? do you mean 12 strings for a 12 string guitar?"

"no 10 strings"

"okay. what kind of guitar is it?" he says steel guitar, so i go to check to see if we have any steel guitar string sets. aaaand of course we do not.

"is it a lap steel or pedal steel guitar?"

"lap steel"

so i go to look up the gauges for a normal lap steel guitar to see if i can help him. i say "well we do not have a set of lap steel guitar strings but i can get you some similar gauges for the strings."

his response

"ah okay well don't worry about the gauge for an old timer like me, i just need a set of 10 strings."

"... no, you'll need a set of strings at the right gauge so you tune up to the right notes."

"oh okay"

then i keep looking up the gauges of the strings, kind of hard to fin-

"yeah just get me a set of 10 strings i don't care about the gauges"

".......... no you will need a set of strings at the exact gauges so you can tune up to the right turning, see?"

"ah i'm not worried about that young man, i just want to get a new set of strings up there."

" "
i ask shortly after "what chord do you tune to?"

"eh, E"

and of course, the two common tunings are neither E, but G or C. i can't remember what tuning i gave him because i couldn't find E but throughout the experience he said "don't worry about the gauges son" like 6 times.

i remember his wife said something like this, in regards to the research i was doing "he is taking this very seriously." yeah because in another situation, if i give you a 12ax7 instead of an el84 you'll break your amp. i just took a bunch of different strings of gauges like that of one of the tunings to the best of my ability.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 18, 2016,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

That old man has ten people to strangle and in their final moments, they all deserve their own string.
Quote by Will Lane
and of course, the two common tunings are neither E, but G or C. i can't remember what tuning i gave him because i couldn't find E but throughout the experience he said "don't worry about the gauges son" like 6 times.

For an 8+ string lap steel, the most common tunings are C6 based and E7 based. Obviously the problem is that you don't know enough about the products that you are selling.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
For an 8+ string lap steel, the most common tunings are C6 based and E7 based. Obviously the problem is that you don't know enough about the products that you are selling.
yeah okay all i saw at the time were c and g. i do not know much about lap/pedal steels but i do know you do not want to be putting a .014 for a spot tuned down to E2. or E3. idk. i saw some gauges at .040 so.
Quote by Will Lane
yeah okay all i saw at the time were c and g.

where did you even look lol
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Will Lane
the internet ofc

where on the internet did you not find e tuning for lap steel guitars
Last edited by theogonia777 at Apr 18, 2016,
i looked up lap steel tunings on google

first result

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C6_tuning

first line of the article

C6 tuning is one of the most common tunings for steel guitar, both on single and multiple neck instruments. On a twin-neck, the most common set-up is C6 tuning on the near neck and E9 tuning on the far neck.

next result

http://www.well.com/~wellvis/tuning.html

all kinds of e tunings listed there

third

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lap_steel_guitar

Many Western Swing lap steel players, and some Old-Time Country lap steel players, use a C6 tuning. There is no "standard" C6 tuning; one popular one is C-E-G-A-C-E. This tuning is a good one for learning Don Helms' lap steel melodies from old Hank Williams records, although Helms used a lap steel with legs (a "console steel"), with two necks having 8 strings each; Helms actually used an E13 tuning, which adds the 7th (D) and the 13th (C♯ to the E tuning, making it B-D-E-G♯-B-C♯-E-G♯, low to high. An extended C6/FMaj7 is used by Western Swing pedal steel guitarists on their 10-string pedal steels. This tuning, C-F-A-C-E-G-A-C-E-G, is difficult to achieve on the 6-string steel but a subset thereof is achieved as previously mentioned. A6 is a commonly used alternate for C6.

The E7 tuning is used by many players, especially those who begin learning with the Mel Bay Steel Guitar Method instructional books. The E7 tuning in those books is spelled either B0-D-E-G♯-B-E or with the 6th string lowered to the tonic E: E-D-E-G♯-B-E. Note the similarity of this second tuning to the open E tuning above: the only difference is the 5th string, which is lowered from the tonic E to the 7th note in the key of E, which is D.

There are many other tunings used by players. Pedal Steel guitarists switching over to lap steel often bring over a modified version of the 10-string E9 tuning that is the standard for Country pedal steel; pedal steels, and a few non-pedal "console steels" actually have multiple necks, each in a different tuning, and very often on a pedal steel the 2 main necks will be in E9 and C6 tunings. As noted under the C6 tuning, an A6 tuning is also used.

fourth

http://www.cindycashdollar.com/tunings/

fifth

http://www.scottysmusic.com/tunings.htm

all kinds of e tunings there
yeah i was looking directly at the string packs. maybe he said G, i am having more trouble finding those than E now. idk. he hasn't come back so.

also those links you listed don't list the proper gauges for a 10-string lap steel, just tunings, they do nothing for me.
Quote by Will Lane
yeah i was looking directly at the string packs. maybe he said G, i am having more trouble finding those than E now. idk. he hasn't come back so.

also those links you listed don't list the proper gauges for a 10-string lap steel, just tunings, they do nothing for me.

there's no standard 10 string lap steel tuning since 10 string non-pedal steels are extremely uncommon

if you did your research you would have found that out
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Is there a particular reason the first thing you did wasn't to look for which packs of 10 strings you had?
i looked, we did not have any.
Quote by theogonia777
there's no standard 10 string lap steel tuning since 10 string non-pedal steels are extremely uncommon

if you did your research you would have found that out
then that chap gave me the wrong information to work with entirely, i can't be expected to have extensive knowledge in all musical fields.
Quote by yoman297
your sig really fits right now
ty
yikes
Quote by yoman297 at #33932142
your sig really fits right now

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Wrote a poem about this the other night. Making it's debut on Ultimate Guitar.

dear old guys
digital clocks are better than analog clocks
you say old music is better, but I’m not so sure
it isn’t the future’s fault, it’s the youth
the youth has always been the problem
until they grow up, then the next youth steps up
to fuck the world up for the old guys

maybe the old guys are the problem
maybe everyone should die at 30
that way nobody would have to listen
to old people bitching about the youth
let it be

you should know that one.

rock and roll will live forever
as the spine of the youth
and forever young

that includes you old guys
still rockin’ in the free world
join us down here
you remember these days
we’re living them.

yours truly,

the youth
Quote by Will Lane
we had this old chap and i guess his wife come in the store saying that they got the wrong set of strings and needed a different set. he said "i accidentally got the set of 5 strings. i need the set of 10.".

Some day you'll learn that you should just give him what he wants, let him break it or whatever, then you can charge him to fix his mistakes. Arguing with people in retail is futile.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Will Lane
we had this old chap and i guess his wife come in the store saying that they got the wrong set of strings and needed a different set. he said "i accidentally got the set of 5 strings. i need the set of 10."

Don't worry about difficult sales, son.

There is a possibility that the scenario: appeal will outweigh the problem. Sometimes the amps play 12ax7's.
Quote by extrachill
Wrote a poem about this the other night. Making it's debut on Ultimate Guitar.

dear old guys
digital clocks are better than analog clocks
you say old music is better, but I’m not so sure
it isn’t the future’s fault, it’s the youth
the youth has always been the problem
until they grow up, then the next youth steps up
to fuck the world up for the old guys

maybe the old guys are the problem
maybe everyone should die at 30
that way nobody would have to listen
to old people bitching about the youth
let it be

you should know that one.

rock and roll will live forever
as the spine of the youth
and forever young

that includes you old guys
still rockin’ in the free world
join us down here
you remember these days
we’re living them.

yours truly,

the youth

I know 27-yr-olds complaining about aging

let's say 25
(that world would look so bonkers)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

This is all he wanted:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2502-10-string-e9-pedal-steel-guitar-strings

Greenhorn young whippersnappers don't know nuthin about a proper lap steel string set....

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
This is all he wanted:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2502-10-string-e9-pedal-steel-guitar-strings

Greenhorn young whippersnappers don't know nuthin about a proper lap steel string set....

typical old guy know it all

that's clearly not a proper lap steel set

nobody in their right mind would put the two chromatic strings on a lap steel lol
Last edited by theogonia777 at Apr 19, 2016,
-breathes in to say something-

-doesn't-

you guys ruined my thread we were supposed to bash old people. think what oculd have been. what's with the pit.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 19, 2016,
yeah well what about you young whipper snappers eh? Your music is shit, you can't call anyone a cunt or a faggot without the world throwing PC shite in your face, the girls fight more than the boys, the boys wear more product than the girls and you never work a day in your life.

And you can't even say ******* on a damn guitar forum!

shiiit
Quote by theogonia777
typical old guy know it all

that's clearly not a proper lap steel set

nobody in their right mind would put the two chromatic strings on a lap steel lol

Smells like teen spirit...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lap_steel_guitar
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Surely the right of being on an internet forum is to completely ignore evidence that disproves personal opinion....?

Never played a lap steel, personally. I find any form of slide infuriatingly difficult, then again the first thing I tried was the solo from Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Quote by Will Lane
the internet ofc

First thing I found:

The standard Nashville E9 tuning for ten string pedal steel guitar is B-D-E-F#-G#-B-E-G#-D#-F#.
Quote by Cajundaddy

i don't see how that's at all related to using a pedal steel set with the chromatic strings on a lap steel

maybe try putting on your reading glasses

old man

Quote by BobBastard
First thing I found:

The standard Nashville E9 tuning for ten string pedal steel guitar is B-D-E-F#-G#-B-E-G#-D#-F#.

That's for pedal steel (the old man from the story wanted lap steel) and would not be used for lap steel, specifically not the top two strings which are not really of value without pedals and knee levers to alter the other strings.

Like seriously. I love how everyone here is being a know-it-all about instruments that they clearly don't play. Different instruments with different tunings that use different gauges for the same pages. If you really wanted an E9 for 10 string lap steel, you would go with E-G#-B-D-E-F#-G#-B-E-G# maybe, but that's not really a practical tuning. E9 for 10 string lap steel is silly actually. You really need a 6 in there to make get E13, so E-B-D-E-F#-G#-B-C#-E-G# is probably the best bet.

I guess the only really "common" tuning for the 10 string lap steel specifically is the old Eddie Alkire "e-harp" tuning, C#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-B-C#-E. That's a weird one though.

Otherwise a diatonic tuning actually makes the most sense. Relative to E, I would say that B-C#-E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E would be fine in theory. I don't like the look of that though.

But no, why believe someone that actually plays steel guitar? Just keep up the old "I'm a guitarist so I think I know everything about anything with strings" stereotype.
Quote by HardAttack at #33932560
Some day you'll learn that you should just give him what he wants, let him break it or whatever, then you can charge him to fix his mistakes. Arguing with people in retail is futile.

So true.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You got the hots for me now theogonia? You seem to be responding to a lot of my posts lately. I am very flattered but very taken sweetie.

There is no standard tuning in Lap Steel, it is a free-for-all. Pick one you like and go!

From Wiki "Lap Steel":

The Lap steel guitar is not tuned in standard guitar tuning (E-A-D-G-B-E, low to high). Rather, it is usually tuned to an open chord, often an extended chord like a 6th, 7th, or 9th. (All tunings are shown low-to-high; that is, thickest string to thinnest, or 6th string to 1st string).

Blues and Rock players tend to favor one of two tuning families: open G/open A, or open D/open E.

Open G is tuned D-G-D-G-B-D; open A raises each of those notes a whole-step (2 frets) to E-A-E-A-C♯-E. During the 1920s and 1930s, much of the sheet music written for lap steel utilized open A tuning as the de facto standard tuning for the instrument.

Open D is tuned D-A-D-F♯-A-D, and open E is a whole-step higher: E-B-E-G♯-B-E. Joe Perry of Aerosmith uses Open E on his electric lap steel. David Lindley is another player who uses transposed variations of these tunings."

Yes, I have played both lap and pedal steel guitars before. Not my forte but this guy was AMAZING! Glenn Ross Campbell and The Misunderstood were from my home town and used to play concerts in the park when I was just a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYPv5zGoYpA

Here is Glenn Ross Campbell on Lap steel with Juicy Lucy in 1970. Check the wah pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA8MAJt8Fv0

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by vintage x metal
I know 27-yr-olds complaining about aging

let's say 25
(that world would look so bonkers)

Logan's Run (The novel) set the cut off age at 21. Logan's Run (The Movie) cut you off at 30.

Quote by theogonia777

That's for pedal steel (the old man from the story wanted lap steel) and would not be used for lap steel, specifically not the top two strings which are not really of value without pedals and knee levers to alter the other strings.

Like seriously. I love how everyone here is being a know-it-all about instruments that they clearly don't play.

Calm your tits. I never claimed to know anything about it. He said he searched online and couldn't find anything. That was the first thing that pop up on my google search.

I even wrote "this is the first thing I found". Which would indicate, I pulled it from a search.
Last edited by BobBastard at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by theogonia777
i don't see how that's at all related to using a pedal steel set with the chromatic strings on a lap steel

maybe try putting on your reading glasses

old man

Like seriously. I love how everyone here is being a know-it-all about instruments that they clearly don't play. Different instruments with different tunings that use different gauges for the same pages. If you really wanted an E9 for 10 string lap steel, you would go with E-G#-B-D-E-F#-G#-B-E-G# maybe, but that's not really a practical tuning. E9 for 10 string lap steel is silly actually. You really need a 6 in there to make get E13, so E-B-D-E-F#-G#-B-C#-E-G# is probably the best bet.

I guess the only really "common" tuning for the 10 string lap steel specifically is the old Eddie Alkire "e-harp" tuning, C#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-B-C#-E. That's a weird one though.

Otherwise a diatonic tuning actually makes the most sense. Relative to E, I would say that B-C#-E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E would be fine in theory. I don't like the look of that though.

But no, why believe someone that actually plays steel guitar? Just keep up the old "I'm a guitarist so I think I know everything about anything with strings" stereotype.
rt the next time something like this happens i will just message you, too much work for me to do when you got it

wait sorry that sounds like sarcasm, no i'm serious

or wait do you not know it tho i'm confused. i didn't read half this thread fully.