Hey guys,

I'm sorry for the huge block of text

I'm in a bit of an odd situation and need your help.

My challenge is that I need to purchase a gig worthy rig for under 700$ canadian including amp, pedals, pickups whatever. Preferably less because my wife wants to redecorate.

prefer to buy used but on a time table (need everything for july)
I like a clear and defined sound both for clean and distorted. I don't like woofer cleans and I don't like fuzzy distortions since they muddy up the notes.
Will definitly gig with this. Probably not mic'ed but it'll be small clubs
Budget: 700 canadian (preferably less since my wife wants to redecorate)

I'm a guitarist in a mostly serious gigging band and got offered a post as a bassist in a grunge power trio. My role would be basically playing distorted lead bass parts when the guitarist is singing and cleanish parts when he's doing solos. I'm in the band so people can hear my melodies, not to set the background bass. Obviously I still need to handle the low end, though

I have a replica of a jazz bass built by a luthier that has mexican fender jazz bass electronics. I don't want to buy another bass but can buy new pickups, if you all think it's a good idea.

I have no amp (using a friends at jams). I need to buy one

I have the following guitar pedals that sound semi decent with bass:

T-Rex Mudhoney II
joyo ultimate drive
joyo jf 15 california sound distortion/preamp
tech21 blond preamp (fender bassman preamp)

and nothing else.

In your opinion:

1. Is it better to go for a cheap but powerful bass amp and plug into a preamp going into the effects loop or forget about the preamp and go for a slightly better amp?

I've seen some pretty decently priced preamp pedals such as the behringer and joyo (yes I'm aware of the reputation of these brands). I don't feel that by buying a 600$ amp, I'd be getting a much better value than by getting a 500$ amp but with a 100$ preamp pedal (which would also be useful for recording)

2. Would a pickup change be worth the money considering the limited budget that I have?

3. I have the option of picking up an early 90s peavey tnt 115 for 150$. I will go try it soon but what is the opinion on this? Could I possibly get this amp, a great preamp to plug into the loop and a pickup change and be golden or should I not bother trying to polish a turd?

4. what am I missing? I'm a guitarist that has no idea about bass gear
Last edited by flexiblemile at Apr 18, 2016,
Since you didn't mention size of venue or number of people.. It is hard to suggest what bass amp would fit and you didn't even mention the bass amp you borrow from your friend. What brand, what model bass amp, and how many watts is it? Is it a combo or bass amp head?

Since I am unsure what your needs are, I will just give some based on my experience. I own guitars, basses, guitar and bass amps combo and head.. in our Praise group we use a Fender Rumble 150, but we barely set volume pass 3 or 4. I sometimes bring my Vintage Roland CB60 bass orange tolex 60watts combo, at our retreat and it is more than enough for what we need. This week, i will bring my Acoustic B200H bass amp head 200watts + Peavey bass enclosure 1820 (2x 10" Scorpion and 1x 18" Black Widow speaker) speaker cab is darn heavy so I place it on a dolly.. 200watts is overkill to what we need.

Pedals..
Have you heard of Joyo Dr J Sparrow for bass driver and DI (they copy from NYC boutique pedal) can be plug directly to PA system.
DOD Boneshaker parametric distortion, control over frequency in high mids and low makes this versatile pedal.
Obscura altered delay
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by psp742
Not sure how powerful bass amp you need, since you didn't mention size or number of people..

The gigs I'll be playing will be less than a hundred people in small bars. I don't know enough about bass amps to tell you what wattage I'm looking for. The guitarist is using an 80 watt traynor amp and the drummer is not very agressive in his playing.

and you didn't even mention the bass amp you are borrow. What brand and what model bass amp is it? Is it a combo or bass amp head?

The amp at the jam space is irrelevant since my goal is to not use it anymore. It's a yorkville something or other combo. It's not part of the equation in any way.

Since I am unsure what your needs are, I will just give some based on my experience. I own guitars, basses, guitar and bass amps combo and head.. in our Praise group we use a Fender Rumble 150, but we barely set volume pass 3 or 4. I sometimes bring my Vintage Roland CB60 bass orange tolex 60watts combo, at our retreat and it is more than enough for what we need. This week, i will bring my Acoustic B200H bass amp head 200watts + Peavey bass enclosure 1820 (2x 10" Scorpion and 1x 18" Black Widow speaker) speaker cab is darn heavy so I place it on a dolly.. 200watts is overkill to what we need.

Ok, how do they handle distortion? Do they get all fuzzy and muddy? With a fender jazz type bass is it easy to get a clear sound? How many are you in those bands? Are the other players very loud?

Pedals..
Have you heard of Joyo Dr J Sparrow for bass driver and DI (they copy from NYC boutique pedal) can be plug directly to PA system.
DOD Boneshaker parametric distortion, control over frequency in high mids and low makes this versatile pedal.

Obscura altered delay

Yeah that's the joyo I was talking about. What are your impressions of it? Does it sound good plugged into the effects loop of an amp, bypassing the amps preamp? How does it compare to the behringer BDI21?

Thanks for your answer.
My suggestion would be to find a used Bass Pod XT (bean or Live) for your effects. A "bean" version should be available for under $100. Run that into a good power amp and run the power amp into a good very wide range bass speaker system. For example, a 1500W power amp from Carvin (the HD1500) will run under $300, and an appropriate speaker system (LS1503) with 800W of power handling, a 15" LF, 6" Mids and 1" HF driver will also be under $300. The latter two will match very well because the HD1500 puts out about 800W, bridged, mono, at 8 ohms. If you add another speaker, the 1500 will still match because it puts out 1500W, bridged, mono, at 4 ohms (the impedance of a pair of those same speakers).
great advice dspellman, bass pod XT is compact, but the power amp + wide range speakers 2x make it a much larger rig than what OP needs (besides i think, wife will not approve a larger rig which includes a power amp with speaker system - are you referring to bass amp head and speaker cab). i think the OP needs something portable something like a Fender Rumble 150 combo amp.. 150watts, add a few nice pedals in front and it can sound good.

I'm not familiar with the USED music instruments market in Canada, here we have Guitar Center, Sam Ash USED section, eBAY, Craiglist, and some pawnshops may have some bass combo amps...

do some search on how much a used one cost (make sure it is fully working), be a smart shopper... you don't need to use up the $800.. bass driver, distortion, fuzz, should be more than enough.. check Digitech X series, bass envelope filter. not sure you need it but its cool pedal and its not expensive.

Fender Rumble 150 demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d6ibvF2U6o

DOD Boneshaker demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXUrSuTHbko and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5kFY2VLa0
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Apr 19, 2016,
thank you both for your suggestions, I'll check that gear out on the local used market and if I see anything I'll snatch it up!
Joyo Dr. J Sparrow Bass driver and di, is copy of Tech21 Bass driver and it does a decent job.. i can dial in more pronounced deep low heart thumping low end.. Yeah me like..

I find i like Dr J Sparrow more than DOD Boneshaker.. which is a very good pedal, i feel BoneShaker has more tweakable parameters than what i current need or require.. Maybe you will find more use in the type of music you play.
Quote by psp742
great advice dspellman, bass pod XT is compact, but the power amp + wide range speakers 2x make it a much larger rig than what OP needs (besides i think, wife will not approve a larger rig which includes a power amp with speaker system - are you referring to bass amp head and speaker cab). i think the OP needs something portable something like a Fender Rumble 150 combo amp.. 150watts, add a few nice pedals in front and it can sound good.

I don't think we're talking a "much larger rig" if you're using a single speaker cabinet at all. In fact, the whole rig may actually be smaller overall than the combo you're recommending while providing up to 800W with that single speaker compared to 150W with the combo. That 800W isn't about volume as much as it is about clean bottom end (and, yes, more available volume). If there comes a time when he needs more power, all he has to do is add the additional speaker cabinet and the power amp will provide the full 1500W to the pair of cabinets.

The upright LS1503 has a 15" x 18.75" footprint.

The Fender Rumble 150 is 28.47"W x 18.9"D on the ground, nearly double the size of the Carvin speaker and half the wife approval rating.

The HD1500 power amp in a 2U rack would probably add 4" to the height of the LS1503 (it's 19"W, 10"D) and it only weighs 9 lbs.

The Bass Pod XT Live takes up about the same floor space (about 20" x 11") as the few nice pedals you've recommended, but includes an expression pedal, user presets, tuner and a whole lot of additional FX, cabinet models and amp models*.

And it reduces the number and unsightly snarl (to a spouse) of connecting cables/potential failure points to two: the guitar cable coming in and the guitar cable going to the amp. More wife-friendly (experience talking).

That Boneshaker alone is going to require a $120 expenditure plus (if you're going to be gigging with it), probably a power supply spider and a pair of shortie cables...

Also worth noting are the wide range of recording options, including the ability to control everything on the Bass Pod XT via MIDI.

*something like 28 different amp models, 22 different cabinet models, 40+ FX and over a dozen reverb variations.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 23, 2016,
can you share link to product you mentioned and possible price range too would greatly help the OP see what it looks like and allow him more options to choose from..

Boneshaker is a bit expensive but not Strymon money.. so it is still doable with OPs budget. I did mention it is highly tweakable distortion.. but i mainly use it as a sort of boost for more oomph or push (note: i have TC Electronic Spark Booster too but i do what i do because it is just something i like)
Last edited by psp742 at Apr 24, 2016,
I've no idea on pedals other than to suggest you look at a multi effect. Within your budget I suspect $100 pedals will seriously compromise the amplification. Something likethe Behringer will let you experiment without breaking the budget. Look at the Zoom B1on as well.

With your amp you need it to be functional. That means it needs to be loud enough to match a decently loud drummer. I'd suggest looking at 2-300W through at least a couple of 10" speakers. It's worth looking at a combo too if you are more interested in just playing rather than playing with gear. The fender Rumble series are getting a lot of love at the moment with the Rumble 500 V3 combo almost within your budget new. If you want to keep the price down then a lot of bassists are updating their old heavyweight gear with modern lightweight gear so there's a lot o old Peavey and Hartke gear out there at great prices. The Hartke HA3500 is a great amp for example at £100 UK on the used market, add in a 4x10 and you'll have a good sounding set up for maybe £250 UK.

As I said I'd sort out a basic amplification system first, then you'll know how much you have left for pedals.
hey guys,

thanks for all your responses! a buddy from a band I used to gig with is selling me his Trace Elliot gp7smc300 and goliath 1 4x10 cab AND an aguilar agro pedal for 400... so I'm just going to take that, hehe.

Thanks again!