I want to buy a new guitar, but I am not sure if I want to buy the Squier affinity stratocaster or the slightly more expensive Fender stratocaster MiM. I want to buy a good Fender eventually, but what do you people think about the Squier guitar?

I also read that the neck on the Squier strat is rather slim and thin, is this a problem? I have quite thin fingers. Thanks.
well there is more than a slight difference between the new price of a squier affinity and a MIM. even used the MIM is going to be a fair bit more.

the MIM would be the better guitar and would be a "good" fender guitar. with a couple of upgrades MIMs can be great guitars.
True that. I was only a little concerned that the Squier affinity is hard to play on as I am still not experienced playing the guitar. I have never tried to play on Squier's yet, so I'm not sure yet.
I'd avoid the Affinity, myself (not because it's necessarily poor but because you could easily do better), and if I could I'd go for the MIM, but there are also the nicer Squier models in between the two (i.e. Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series Strats) that would certainly be worth considering.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 18, 2016,
Had an Affinity Telecaster, sold it without remorse. Get the MIM.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I know the price of the Fender MiM is significantly higher, but I want to have a guitar for many years. I am just thinking if I buy the Squier that I might buy a new guitar after 2-3 years. The price of the Classic Vibe and Fender MiM is almost the same where I live.
Had a Squier that I used to hack away on that I traded for a Epi LP Special (an upgrade). I ended up giving the Epi LP Special to a relative who was just starting out who was also hacking away on a Squier. He thanked me. I now have a MIM Strat w/ classic noiseless pickups which IMO is a serious upgrade from the Epi and a quantum leap up from the Squier. I will not be giving the MIM away (relative or otherwise) any time soon. Get the MIM.
The only way I'd advise that you buy a Squier is if you buy it used. At least that way, if you end up not wanting to stick with it, you will be able to get most of what you've got invested into it back out of it. Squiers lose a lot of value and are relatively hard to sell unless you're willing to basically give it away. Buying used protects your wallet a bit.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Thanks for all the answers. I think I will pay the extra and go for the MiM. Since I probably will upgrade the Squier after a few years anyways. I think I can have the Fender for many years and be very happy with it.
I read that the nut width on the Squier is only 1.6” (40.6 mm). I think that maybe is made for people with smaller hands.
Quote by Andyy5
Thanks for all the answers. I think I will pay the extra and go for the MiM. Since I probably will upgrade the Squier after a few years anyways. I think I can have the Fender for many years and be very happy with it.
I read that the nut width on the Squier is only 1.6” (40.6 mm). I think that maybe is made for people with smaller hands.

Well most Strats and Tele's have a nut width of 1.65 so not much difference if that is a concern for you.
What's the market for a used MIM where you live? I picked up a used MIM with a Fender hard case in fantastic condition for $30 more than the cost of a new Affinity.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Fender MIM for sure... unless it is a Squier CV series, then I might think about it more.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Fender MiM all the way. I have one of each in my house and the MiM is by far higher quality. (One's my dad's, one's my mom's. If they had bigger frets I'd own one myself.)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
As others have said, the affinity isn't really a fair comparison to the MIM - we're talking apples to oranges. It's not surprising people are going to pick the MIM, because we're talking a $200 guitar against a $600 guitar. A classic vibe Squier is a much more comparable guitar (although still noticeably less expensive than the MIM) and I think there it's a toss-up between the CV and the MIM.
the vintage mod squiers are sweet too.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I got the Squier affinity since it is so much cheaper, but I have started to get some pain on the top of my wrist on the fretting hand. Can this be caused by the neck profile on the Squier and can it be better if I change to the Fender, or are the necks more or less the same at this regard?
MIM Fender, 10/10.

The Affinities aren't bad at all for the price but you do get what you pay for. The MIMs are much better made.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know the Fender cost much more, and the quality is probably superior to the Squier, but do you know what the difference is between the necks on these guitars? The nut width on the Fender is 1,2mm wider than on the Squier, I don't know how much that is in play feeling.
Last edited by Andyy5 at Apr 20, 2016,
Quote by Andyy5
I know the Fender cost much more, and the quality is probably superior to the Squier, but do you know what the difference is between the necks on these guitars? The nut width on the Fender is 1,2mm wider than on the Squier, I don't know how much that is in play feeling.

just means the strings are a little closer together on the fretboard. if you have fat fingers it might make a tiny bit of difference.

i can see that you are kinda leaning towards the Squier but will stress that while cheaper it's not a guitar that will really grow with you. they aren't bad but they aren't really good either. you may want to consider a CV model if you go the Squier route. they are way better than the affinity series and will have more lasting power.
Quote by monwobobbo at #33935424
just means the strings are a little closer together on the fretboard. if you have fat fingers it might make a tiny bit of difference.

i can see that you are kinda leaning towards the Squier but will stress that while cheaper it's not a guitar that will really grow with you. they aren't bad but they aren't really good either. you may want to consider a CV model if you go the Squier route. they are way better than the affinity series and will have more lasting power.

The way he worded it makes it seem like he already bought the Affinity.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yes, I bought the Affinity already, but I am pretty sure I will change it to the Fender. I rather buy a better guitar I can have for a long time.
If that's the case then why didn't you just get the Fender in the first place?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Just lack of experience on playing fenders and just bad desicion making, but it's not worse than trying the Squier and seeing myself how it really is and then change it.
Last edited by Andyy5 at Apr 20, 2016,
We'll, if you're going to trade up, you might want to check out the G&L Tribute line as well, if you have the opportunity. They're made in Indonesia, and roughly analogous to MiM Fenders. But G&Ls are a slightly different beast...and some feel they are a bit better deal for the money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sit down and play both before making a decision.

I had a similar judgement call to make in this regard when I began playing years ago. My decision ended up favoring the Squire over a MIM just due to how it felt, handled, intonation, and the setup.

CTS pots are a few bucks, a selector switch is another couple bucks. A 15w soldering iron and a coil of solder can't be more than $20 USD. Toss in some single coil pickups (some site regarding fetishes for guitars offers semi-convincing knockoffs for all price ranges), and you'll end up with something close to what you'd buy up front, with experience noodling with the guitar. Then again - I enjoy noodling around and poking things with a soldering iron - so this might just be specific to me.

I've bought a Squire, and a MIM. I play them somewhat interchangeably. There are diamonds in the rough, if you're lucky enough to find one. Buy for feel and how it plays, not on price and labels.
Quote by dPrimmy
Sit down and play both before making a decision.

I had a similar judgement call to make in this regard when I began playing years ago. My decision ended up favoring the Squire over a MIM just due to how it felt, handled, intonation, and the setup.

CTS pots are a few bucks, a selector switch is another couple bucks. A 15w soldering iron and a coil of solder can't be more than $20 USD. Toss in some single coil pickups (some site regarding fetishes for guitars offers semi-convincing knockoffs for all price ranges), and you'll end up with something close to what you'd buy up front, with experience noodling with the guitar. Then again - I enjoy noodling around and poking things with a soldering iron - so this might just be specific to me.

I've bought a Squire, and a MIM. I play them somewhat interchangeably. There are diamonds in the rough, if you're lucky enough to find one. Buy for feel and how it plays, not on price and labels.

You do realize that there are other differences than electronics, right? The bridge, tuners, etc. fretwork, and just overall fit and finish are different.

I would just get the MIM. It's worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Squire Affinity series guitars are cheap, in every sense of the word. As in, not just the price. They're crap. They're marketed as beginner guitars, basically for children. Even as such, I would personally not buy one even for a beginner, as they're so crappy it's liable to give the beginner a bad experience, and make him lose interest in playing before he even gets good at it. The other Squire lines that have been mentioned, the Classic Vibe and the Vintage Modified, are much better instruments, for barely any more money. And if a MIM Fender is within your budget, even used, do not hesitate for a second. That guitar is leagues beyond the Affinity.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by trashedlostfdup
You do realize that there are other differences than electronics, right? The bridge, tuners, etc. fretwork, and just overall fit and finish are different.

I would just get the MIM. It's worth it.

Yes - lower quality materials is how they reduce the cost of the instrument. It's a cost:benefits assessment in that moment.

That doesn't change what I'm suggesting though. If you're comparing a poorly set up $700 Martin with a minor warp in the neck vs. a gem of a $200 Takamene, for sake of learning and playability, the Takamene is going to trump the Martin. It's the same reason you ask to play 4 different guitars from the same model line when making a decision. It's playability, comfort, and the minor differences that make me love the guitar - not the name or sophistication in the hardware.

If he walks in with the mentality of picking the best playing guitar of a narrowed selection, he'll walk out happy with his purchase. If he walks in with the mindset of picking a "MIM Stratocaster", he'll walk out with a MIM Strat.
You should really set a budget before you start comparing guitars. If you were buying a house, would it make sense to compare a $150,000 home with a $700,000 home? Odds are you'll prefer the $700,000 place but that doesn't mean the other one isn't worth owning. If money is irrelevant, then why aren't you looking at an American or custom shop strat instead of the MIM?

Set a budget, find a guitar you like and that will make you want to play, and include enough to pay for a decent setup when you are looking at prices.
Quote by dPrimmy
Yes - lower quality materials is how they reduce the cost of the instrument. It's a cost:benefits assessment in that moment.

That doesn't change what I'm suggesting though. If you're comparing a poorly set up $700 Martin with a minor warp in the neck vs. a gem of a $200 Takamene, for sake of learning and playability, the Takamene is going to trump the Martin. It's the same reason you ask to play 4 different guitars from the same model line when making a decision. It's playability, comfort, and the minor differences that make me love the guitar - not the name or sophistication in the hardware.

If he walks in with the mentality of picking the best playing guitar of a narrowed selection, he'll walk out happy with his purchase. If he walks in with the mindset of picking a "MIM Stratocaster", he'll walk out with a MIM Strat.

If you try out 4 affinity Squiers and 4 MIM's I can just about guarantee that the MIM will be better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
If you try out 4 affinity Squiers and 4 MIM's I can just about guarantee that the MIM will be better.

That doesn't change what I'm suggesting though.

Quote by dPrimmy
That doesn't change what I'm suggesting though.

and most likely happy. guy wants a strat we're telling him that he is more likely to find a MIM that will last him for years to come than cheaping out and getting an affinity. no one is telling him to walk in and buy the first guitar he picks up.
I don't really care which you get, as either will be playable and the primary cost difference is in electronics and labor, not playability.

But as you've already purchased the Affinity and experienced wrist pain it's most likely you have a technique failure and buying a MIM won't fix that.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin