I'd appreciate any help you can give me, /ug/.

Here's a tab I wrote for the song El Paso by Marty Robbins. In it's current state it's too big to post on UG.

I must not be smart enough or not be looking at it the right way, because the way I see it the song is in 3/4 time and each phrase is 11 measures in length. There's no way I can see to write it any smaller without making it less readable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVVS5-9HvA
Attachments:
El Paso.txt
Last edited by coman91 at Apr 18, 2016,
Generally when people tab songs and include lyrics they don't try to get it to line up with the lead guitar sections. It makes more sense to have the words written out normally with the chords above the word where the chord changes, then tab out the lead guitar separately, maybe with snippets of the lyrics above the beginning of guitar phrases so you know when it is in the song. Getting the lyrics and lead parts synced up with perfect spacing in a text file is a little over ambitious.

The level of detail you're going for is more suited to something like Guitar Pro than a text document. If you went that route you could even have a separate track with a horn or something hitting the notes of the voice and insert the text above each note. Then you could play it in multitrack view and see both at the same time.

maybe something like this:

0:10        "of El Paso"             "mexican girl"
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------7---8-----------------------7---8---10----------7---------------------------|
G|-------------9----------9-------------------------------7---9-------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------7-----------------------------------9-----------7---------7-|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------9-----------9---| 
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
   *   *   *   ^   ^   *   ^   ^  *   *   *   *   ^   ^   *   ^   ^   *   ^   ^   *   ^   ^  
   D       Em                     A7          D

and at the bottom have all the lyrics like so:

D                     Em
Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
A7                            D
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.

great song by the way, one of my dad's favorites. He got me to look it up a while back and I love it.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Apr 18, 2016,
I'd actually move this to the Author's forum or at least Tab Talk. Now that I'm listening again, I'm hearing 6/8 and 9/8

6/8     9/8  6/8
D | Em | A7 | D | |

So five measures, four measures with an extra D major measure at the end to prolong

I'd just write D | Em | on one line

A7 | D | | on the next
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something