Page 1 of 5

Adulthood isn't hard. How sad are these images?

You can do all the things you wanted to when you were a child without restriction. You are responsible only to yourself or significant other. You can purchase anything you can afford. Take out credit and purchase things you CAN'T afford. Do whatever the hell you want.

Being a kid sucked. I have friends who reminisce about their 'carefree youth,' yet I have memories of them being impatient and ungrateful. Homework and chores were menial and amounted to little gained. Even the most basic job you carry gives value not only to your bank account, but to someone else who paid for the service you offered. Even the shittiest job makes you someone who matters. When you were in high school, nothing you did in high school mattered to anyone else. How lame.

Perhaps it's just a flavor of the month kind of comedy that facebook proliferates. Relating to something is a strong bond, and it's easily shared and liked into oblivion until it becomes collective consciousness. Perhaps I see this more than most of you.

I just think we can all agree that being an adult is way better than being a kid and we should stop pretending anything otherwise.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
fuckin preach, I'm so annoyed by people in their early 20s getting drunk off of nostalgia for times that sucked ass

my life almost doesn't suck now for the first time literally ever
Last edited by whywefight at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster

I just think we can all agree that being an adult is way better than being a kid and we should stop pretending anything otherwise.

eh...
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
10/10 thread, I have enjoyed my adulthood so far. Even menial obligations like paying bills, dealing with complex social environments, occasionally boring work, etc., etc., are far better than the total powerlessness and anxiety of childhood and adolescence.
Agree.

I work at a university and I have seen these images posted on student help boards and shit along with "real" advise and it makes me wonder who the target audience is. It's kind of an embarassingly pathetic sentiment tbh

Also, something something helicopter parents

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
goddamn I hate those stupid ass "i don't wanna adult today"

fuckin CRINGE

sometimes at work I stop and think "holy shit I can't believe I used to have to go to schooll"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd disagree if not just because at least when you're a kid you have your life planned out for the next 18 years.

I'm now 24 and still working out what I want to do.

But you know what, you're right. It's high time I started living for myself.

As of this post, I will live as an independent human being.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
DEAR GOD HELP ME I NEED AN ADULT!
Quote by snipelfritz

Yeah.. I've only just reached adulthood myself and it is kinda scary and difficult at times, but I do not mind really. I've really only started living after moving out from my parents place. I'm in my 20's and I just cringe watching people my age wailing around wishing they were children, when they are not. Why not enjoy what you've "achieved" by living this far?
Hey here's an article that just popped up in my feed on the matter

Adulthood in the US has nothing to do with age anymore

I haven't read it yet so someone sum it up for me.
Quote by snipelfritz

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster

Adulthood isn't hard. How sad are these images?

You can do all the things you wanted to when you were a child without restriction. You are responsible only to yourself or significant other. You can purchase anything you can afford. Take out credit and purchase things you CAN'T afford. Do whatever the hell you want.

Being a kid sucked. I have friends who reminisce about their 'carefree youth,' yet I have memories of them being impatient and ungrateful. Homework and chores were menial and amounted to little gained. Even the most basic job you carry gives value not only to your bank account, but to someone else who paid for the service you offered. Even the shittiest job makes you someone who matters. When you were in high school, nothing you did in high school mattered to anyone else. How lame.

Perhaps it's just a flavor of the month kind of comedy that facebook proliferates. Relating to something is a strong bond, and it's easily shared and liked into oblivion until it becomes collective consciousness. Perhaps I see this more than most of you.

The reason that we want to stop being adults sometimes is because it's a mental drain.

Being a kid we took a lot for granted - dinner cooked itself, the bins took themselves out, you didn't have to worry about the fridge having food in.

Your only worry after school was doing your homework, you didn't have bills, or personal finances to sort out. If you had a job you could save all of the money to your account, or spend it all on a game, or just go out with your mates and have a fun evening somewhere without worrying how much you'd need for council tax or whatever.

Being an adult isn't hard - everyone does it - but it is tiring and sometimes you want a couple of days off of doing that and just want to relax. Is it really that hard to understand that?

When I'm feeling like that I go to my parents house for a couple of days though and it's a nice break

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yeah.

It's so embarrassing when I see people post that shit.

"Wahhhh, being an adult is so hard."

No it's fucking not. Go to work. Pay your bills. Set goals. Achieve them.

I'm actually amazed at how easy it is to be an adult.
yeah im with you on this one.

for me really it's all a blur. I dont view 'childhood' and 'adulthood' as two seperate things. the 'problems' (lol) i have now are really the same 'problems ive had all my life so i dont really feel much different now than i did ten years ago which makes me more pathetic than the "i dont want to adult" people

also that "wish we could turn back time" song is bad
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by TheChaz
Set goals. Achieve them..
If it were that easy if have been a rock star years ago.

I think you mean 'realistic' goals, which differ for everybody depending on your situation. Which, for some, are easier to deal with than others. And the dealing with part is what everyone complains about.
Quote by snipelfritz

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 19, 2016,
I don't think either is better. I do have a lot of fond memories of being a child, and I understand them to be just that: fond memories. I've no doubt I'll also have them of me being (arguably) an adult when I'm an older adult.
So far adulthood and various related things have provided me with

- severe mental illness
- a guarantee of never being paid in concordance with my work, unless I become the owner of my given business and/or get with a tax haven
- increasing awareness of existential worthlessness
- the guarantee of seeing everyone I care about drop one by one
- an increasingly poor memory to the point where I can remember almost nothing of my first 16 years of life
- responsibilities when I can barely get my shit together
- the freedom to get up when I want, buy what I want (but not really) and do what I want (but not really)
- the vote (but not really)
- moving away from the family cats

meh it's about 60:40 to naive, thoughtless childhood imo but I got a couple of bad dice rolls early in the game

anyway the OP, this post right here and the entire thread is basically "WELL MY CHILDHOOD WAS _____ SO SO IS EVERYONE ELSE'S"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal

I feel your pain.

I had to move away from the family lovebird. And then she died. Such is life.
I'm one of the 5-6 people in the world that enjoyed their childhood and teen years.
Adulthood sounds pretty great if you still have enough time and money to do fun things. It's not as great when you're unemployed, or working 12 hour shifts to pay rent, and dealing with the fact that this is exactly how it's going to be until you die. I get to see my friends once a year if they aren't busy. I don't remember the last time I laughed at something, even though I used to laugh every day.
I miss being around people of similar interests. I miss not being tired all the time. I miss the feeling of having something to look forward to.

I get that it's my own fault for not being able to appreciate what I have, but I'd be lying if I said that adulthood was that much better than my youth. Maybe the idea of adulthood is enticing, but in practice, your mileage may vary.
Last edited by sashki at Apr 19, 2016,
like I said the best way to ease the suffering of life is to ensure that it never happens to begin with

i'm half serious but still
For the record, I'm not defending my childhood (barely remember it). But tbh I don't see it as anything more than a simplified, humorous attempt of venting stress. And to say being an adult isn't stressful and shouldn't be for anyone is ludicrous. By comparison, stress is something children are, for the most part, pretty well sheltered from. So I can get why being a kid is the ideal life.
Quote by snipelfritz

well i had a nice childhood, sorry i wan't to reminisce about it
Everyone has their own water to carry. Adulthood for me is basically a complete 360 from childhood. I guess I cut my childhood off at about 15. Most of the first 15 years were rough to say the least, but then I grew up in very different circumstance then I think most people here. For me, childhood was anything but sheltered, which i guess is why i want my son to have the best childhood he can. But yeah everyone's upbringing and its carry over to adulthood is obviously different for everyone. Don't think we could agree that being an adult is better than being a child or vice verse.
Quote by whywefight
fuckin preach, I'm so annoyed by people in their early 20s getting drunk off of nostalgia for times that sucked ass

my life almost doesn't suck now for the first time literally ever

Agreed,

I find it frustrating that infantilising early adulthood seems to be the order of the day, like, it's "cool" to not plan for your future, not behave in a responsible manner and so on.....

My life now is heaps better than it was when I was under 18, I can drive, drink, smoke, go into clubs and bars, buy whatever books/magazines/DVDs/CDs I want, I have a choice about what I spend my time doing, what job I want to do, what I do with my spare time, when I visit friends and so on.

Fuck being a child again.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Well i am 18, so legally an adult but not really because I don't have my own place yet, but soon.

The thing is, I don't see most adults as happy people really, a lot of them look miserable and not happy about their lives, for some people sh*t's really hard, I understand

But then there's people who haven't really had it that hard and yet all they do is sit and bitch about insignificant stuff, then still try and be condescending to you...well if that is what we young ones have to aspire to..if that's adulthood, fuck that
Quote by VStratto Music
Well i am 18, so legally an adult but not really because I don't have my own place yet, but soon.

The thing is, I don't see most adults as happy people really, a lot of them look miserable and not happy about their lives, for some people sh*t's really hard, I understand

But then there's people who haven't really had it that hard and yet all they do is sit and bitch about insignificant stuff, then still try and be condescending to you...well if that is what we young ones have to aspire to..if that's adulthood, fuck that

Fair, I see there being a difference in the unhappiness though (which may sound weird, but bear with me)

At school, I didn't want to be there a lot of the time, I had no interest in maths, sport and a large array of other subjects I had to do, but I had to do them, and it made me unhappy.

At work, I want to be there, I love what I do, and if I'm ever unhappy it's usually because I have a problem I want to solve.

Subtle differences, but it can make a world of difference to me
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Not everyone had your cheery move into the workforce, or have the same views on the way you're paid m8

some folks don't know what they want to do at all, but have to go to a shite underpaid job that makes them unhappy so as not to starve
I like being an adult but I also miss parts of my childhood so I can't agree with the last sentence. There are good and bad to both. Now that I'm older I don't think I was always as well-behaved as I would like to assume, but nearly everyone is like that so I don't find it noteworthy. And I definitely did things that mattered in middle and high school; I wasn't aware of it at the time, but they were important to others.

More broadly: it's just a meme, it doesn't have to apply to every single person. If you dislike it you can make your own about how adulthood is better than childhood, or just ignore it.
cat
Quote by kalypto
well i had a nice childhood, sorry i wan't to reminisce about it

yah exactly

my best years of life were from when my memory starts to start of secondary school, and then from age 16-22

adult life has only relaly just begun for me and it has been a below average experience

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Hey here's an article that just popped up in my feed on the matter

Adulthood in the US has nothing to do with age anymore

I haven't read it yet so someone sum it up for me.

The guy is basically saying that adulthood doesn't have clear benchmarks. The benchmarks for past generations used to be financial (independence, homeownership, etc.) but with the current age of stagnant wages and disappearing middle class, the majority of 20-somethings have been robbed of that opportunity, therefore there is an age-identity crisis.

Then he posits that adulthood is a mental state of being and talks about it for a while in really vague terms that no one could argue. Defining adulthood might be a fool's errand.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
The reason that we want to stop being adults sometimes is because it's a mental drain.

Being a kid we took a lot for granted - dinner cooked itself, the bins took themselves out, you didn't have to worry about the fridge having food in.

Your only worry after school was doing your homework, you didn't have bills, or personal finances to sort out. If you had a job you could save all of the money to your account, or spend it all on a game, or just go out with your mates and have a fun evening somewhere without worrying how much you'd need for council tax or whatever.

Being an adult isn't hard - everyone does it - but it is tiring and sometimes you want a couple of days off of doing that and just want to relax. Is it really that hard to understand that?

When I'm feeling like that I go to my parents house for a couple of days though and it's a nice break

I see where you're coming from. The thing is that I think it's grossly overestimated. It's harder to be nostalgic of something you took for granted, so a lot of 'memories' are embellished. To be fair, I have nothing to prove that other than knowing friends of mine from school who were spoiled little shits that didn't appreciate anything of theirs.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
If it were that easy if have been a rock star years ago.

I think you mean 'realistic' goals, which differ for everybody depending on your situation. Which, for some, are easier to deal with than others. And the dealing with part is what everyone complains about.

Quote by tateandlyle
the pit is obsessed with figuring out its identity post-sad boys recently

Anything is miles better than the year of self pity. It's like if Andy Warhol painted a bottle of Xanax instead of Cambell's Soup.

Quote by Banjocal
So far adulthood and various related things have provided me with

- severe mental illness
- a guarantee of never being paid in concordance with my work, unless I become the owner of my given business and/or get with a tax haven
- the guarantee of seeing everyone I care about drop one by one
- an increasingly poor memory to the point where I can remember almost nothing of my first 16 years of life
- responsibilities when I can barely get my shit together
- the freedom to get up when I want, buy what I want (but not really) and do what I want (but not really)
- the vote (but not really)

meh it's about 60:40 to naive, thoughtless childhood imo but I got a couple of bad dice rolls early in the game

anyway the OP, this post right here and the entire thread is basically "WELL MY CHILDHOOD WAS _____ SO SO IS EVERYONE ELSE'S"

Mental illness is a statistical outlier and you shouldn't use your experience to color your outlook of how others should feel as a result. That really sucks, I understand it can be a lot harder when you have issues to deal with. My little sister is 25 and still lives at home, she has social autism, but is luckily towards the higher functioning end of the spectrum. She's been pushing carts at Wal Mart for 8 years. Sometimes the deck gets stacked against you.
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 19, 2016,
Even then, the average person still has

-a guarantee of never being paid in concordance with their work, unless they become the owner of their given business and/or get with a tax haven
- the guarantee of seeing everyone they care about drop one by one
- the freedom to get up when they want, buy what they want (but not really) and do what they want (but not really)

And like I said,
entire thread is basically "WELL MY CHILDHOOD WAS _____ SO SO IS EVERYONE ELSE'S"
So really the whole premise of this thread is shite.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
"I'm banjocal and I had a very different experience from all you people who are agreeing with one another, so all of you are wrong!"

Don't be that guy, man. You're smarter than that.
Not saying they're wrong for their experiences, if you look at that second quote, I'm saying that prescribing that Adulthood Is Good And Preferring Childhood is Wrong is incredibly stupid because it ignores a lot of shitty stuff about adulthood as it generally happens (see quote one). That doesn't mean it isn't good, but it also doesn't mean that childhood isn't good and/or preferable to some. It fundamentally ignores the problems in adulthood which might be argued to make a lot of people's lives pretty shit, long term.

Doing that also normalises experience by assuming that people's adult lives are rosy. Which is dumb.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 19, 2016,
I've stumbled through my life as a drunk fox stumbles through dual carriageways, none of it was forced upon me but when I tried putting myself into it, it was violent in its reprisal.

I'm just happy not having to worry about going to an office or workplace for a living at this point.

Plus 90% of what Banjocal mentioned.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
-a guarantee of never being paid in concordance with their work, unless they become the owner of their given business and/or get with a tax haven
- the guarantee of seeing everyone they care about drop one by one
- the freedom to get up when they want, buy what they want (but not really) and do what they want (but not really)

And yet MOST people still get paid, most people find purpose, most people make and keep friends, and most people find contentedness in whatever they end up doing.

This isn't a Wes Anderson movie. I remember being 22 and having sleep-ruining existential thought marathons about what I was really doing. Eventually I realized how selfish it is to think that you need to reach this crazy idea of actualization when there are so many other problems in the world far worse than whatever hobby it is you have, or crazy career you want.

If you're doing something that affects other people positively, you have purpose. And what else is there to being a "omg what's next!" 22 year old than really just finding out what you're supposed to be doing now that no one's telling you what to do anymore?

Epi, I'm no psychologist. I can't give you advice on how to face your issues. I won't pretend I understand your situation, I obviously can't. All I would argue is that now that you're an adult, you have the power to change your situation, and that notion is something that is not afforded to children.
Also

Quote by JR
Mental illness is a statistical outlier and you shouldn't use your experience to color your outlook of how others should feel as a result.
I did not, and would not, claim that anyone SHOULD do, think, say anything, especially in proximity to my own experiences.
Page 1 of 5