Dear UG community veterans,

I just found love for playing the guitar about a year ago. I've been playing whenever I had time on my cheap Yahama acoustic guitar but want to also start playing electric. I would appreciate some advice on what electric guitar to buy. Thank you in advance.

1) I have relatively small hands, so I hope to find an electric guitar that doesn't have such a wide fretboard.

2) I want to play to perform at venues such as churches, cafes, and a stage with about 150-200 audience.

3) My budget is $900 on Amazon but I can do up to $1100.

4) I really like the Gibson SG Special 2016 T Electric models but don't want to get ripped off. Amazon has it listed for $739.00. Would this be a good start?

On a side note, I really do need to find a way to play the electric through my computer and headphones instead of an amp. I live in an apartment and can't bang it out at night. What would be the best equipment to buy to plug it in my computer and have the sound through my headphones?

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Hey BackyardPoet,

Guitars are a very personal item - there is no right or wrong answer, and there are lots of great electric guitars under $900. Since you say you have small hands, the shorter scale length of Gibson (and Gibson like) guitars might work better for you - but try the others too - you never know.

The best advice I can give you is go to a reputable shop and play lots of guitars. You will eventually find one that speaks to you and fits your budget. Get it and play the heck out of it.

Regarding sound in an apartment - there are lots of great small amps with headphone outputs and they exist in a wide range of styles. You might be able to find an amp that would work for your gigs that also has a headphone output. Without knowing more about your music style I'd be hesitant to recommend a specific amp to you.

Best of luck!

Mark
www.electricgiraffestudio.com
Quote by MScrivener
Hey BackyardPoet,

Guitars are a very personal item - there is no right or wrong answer, and there are lots of great electric guitars under $900. Since you say you have small hands, the shorter scale length of Gibson (and Gibson like) guitars might work better for you - but try the others too - you never know.

The best advice I can give you is go to a reputable shop and play lots of guitars. You will eventually find one that speaks to you and fits your budget. Get it and play the heck out of it.

Regarding sound in an apartment - there are lots of great small amps with headphone outputs and they exist in a wide range of styles. You might be able to find an amp that would work for your gigs that also has a headphone output. Without knowing more about your music style I'd be hesitant to recommend a specific amp to you.

Best of luck!

Mark
www.electricgiraffestudio.com

I appreciate your feedback very much. I like the sound of John Mayer's electric guitar on Room for Squares album and Heavier Things. I am sure he used expensive guitars.

Is there a budget guitar around $900 that would have similar sound?
I am looking at:

1) Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T --- $799

or

2) Gibson SG Special 2016 T Electric Guitar --- $739

Does anyone have any suggestion or familiarity with these two?
Quote by BackyardPoet
I appreciate your feedback very much. I like the sound of John Mayer's electric guitar on Room for Squares album and Heavier Things. I am sure he used expensive guitars.

Is there a budget guitar around $900 that would have similar sound?

I'm not that familiar with John Mayer's recordings, but almost every live performance I've seen of his he is playing a strat. There are plenty of very good strats out there within your budget. And if you are willing to consider used guitars then there are a ton of options.

Seriously, you need to go to a shop and play these guitars, plug them in, hear what they sound like, and find what feels, plays, looks and sounds good to you. There are tons of great guitars out there in your price range and it really is a matter of personal taste.
Which Strats are considered acceptable for live performance as well as just playing it to practice at home? The prices range from 600-1500