Hey all,

I'm a longtime lurker on this site (read about 10 years) but thought it might be fun to get a bit more engaged in the community.

I've just picked up a Gibson SG Special 2016 T and am running it through a ProCo Rat 2 and a Kustom 30 Watt Double Barrel. I can get a lovely clean tone through the amp so the Rat does a great job of distorting it in the vein of Black Sabbath or Goatsnake.

I'm looking to pick up my first tube amp and cab by the end of this year and would like some advice on where to go!

Primarily I guess I'm looking for a relatively versatile amp, with great cleans and good enough distortion which I could use if my Rat fails!

I play a sort of heavy blues mix e.g. imagine Black Sabbath meets Chris Thomas King meets Tool, if that helps.

I am familiar with the big brands but am unsure where to even start as each brand seems to have 5/6 heads over £800 that may as well be the same to the uninitiated!

Any help would be appreciated!
I think used is a great place for you to start, that way you can get something worth a lot more for the same budget (or even less). I actually have the Marshall DSL50w head and Marshall 4x12 1969B cab (the big daddy of the DSL range) and it's great.

I would ask though, what are your plans for the cab? Gigs, or home use/recording? Because most people think of a 4x12 (four 12 inch speakers in a single cab) when you say cab, but even for gigs like a really well made 2x12 most of the time is the better option in regards to transport and stage space. I use a 4x12 and it can be a bit of a pain: practice room > car > house > car > gig > car > house > practice room, rinse repeat. It's not so much the weight of a 4x12 (cabs are actually quite light, it's the heads that weigh a tonne) more just the size and the fact i'm not tall enough to be able to pick it up by myself. But you know, a 4x12 does look the part.

My suggestion would be probably the Orange Tiny Terror as mentioned above with a nice 2x12 Orange cab, here's some stuff for you to look at and have a listen to on YouTube to see if it's what you'd be interested in:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_tiny_terror_b_stock_2.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_dual_terror_head_b_stock_2.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_dark_terror_head.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_dual_terror_head.htm

http://www.andertons.co.uk/speaker-cabinets/pid24858/cid690/orange-ppc212-open-back-2x12-cabinet-in-black.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/speaker-cabinets/pid13322/cid690/orange-ppc212-open-back-2x12-cabinet.asp

For what it's worth I've have tried and heard all of these and each one is pretty dang good.

Side note:

Since it's your first head/cab I'd like to give you some information that I'd have liked spelled out for me when I was first looking:

The wattage for the guitar amp head has to be lower than the speaker cabinet, so for example my DSL50w head is 50 watts. My 4x12 is something like 300 watts (16 ohms) and that's totally fine. However, a head that has more watts than the cabinet is dangerous and shouldn't be done (it can technically but you don't want anything to melt)

You need a SPEAKER cable to connect the head to the guitar cabinet, they're pretty cheap like $15) - not a guitar cable. Just walk into a music store and ask for a speaker cable to connect a guitar head and cab, try and get right angled ones so that you can later push your cab against the wall (even 2-3 inches makes for a lot of space at home/on stage)

NEVER turn on the head without it being connected via speaker cable to the cabinet, it'll melt or something (I was told this, I don't know if it's true but you know when something cost me a lot of money to fix I'll listen to anything)

Ohms:

Ohms can be a little confusing when first buying a head/cab. So on the back of any speaker cabinet there should be input jacks for the speaker cable, typically these jacks will be labelled 4/8/16 ohms. The guitar head also has these jacks with the exact same labeling. Make sure you know what Ohms the guitar head wants and what Ohms the speaker cabinet wants, then just match the two*. It's really that simple. Now there can be like a toggle switch to like run the head at half watts and the cab only at half its speakers etc, but let's just forget that for now

(*you can run mixed ohms, but just make sure you're 100% confident in what you're doing, if not just don't (it's similar to overclocking on a PC, if you don't know what you're doing it's a real good way to burn hardware)).
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Last edited by Anthony1991 at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by rich.bendall
Hey all,

I'm a longtime lurker on this site (read about 10 years) but thought it might be fun to get a bit more engaged in the community.

I've just picked up a Gibson SG Special 2016 T and am running it through a ProCo Rat 2 and a Kustom 30 Watt Double Barrel. I can get a lovely clean tone through the amp so the Rat does a great job of distorting it in the vein of Black Sabbath or Goatsnake.

I'm looking to pick up my first tube amp and cab by the end of this year and would like some advice on where to go!

Primarily I guess I'm looking for a relatively versatile amp, with great cleans and good enough distortion which I could use if my Rat fails!

I play a sort of heavy blues mix e.g. imagine Black Sabbath meets Chris Thomas King meets Tool, if that helps.

I am familiar with the big brands but am unsure where to even start as each brand seems to have 5/6 heads over £800 that may as well be the same to the uninitiated!

Any help would be appreciated!

A bit more info on your budget, intended use(home, band practice, gigging etc), new/used preference and where you are(potential advice for stores to try stuff out in) would be helpful.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I was actually thinking VK or Tiny Terror combo, easier configuration and honestly don't see why you'd have to pay the extra to do the head + cab configuration if it is mainly home use, although for some of these combos a speaker upgrade can get you a better sound or you can go say more retro with Greenbacks.
Im in the same boat! So I will chime in and follow this thread. Bump to keep it going. Thanks for the info, and Anthony that was very helpful.
Quote by colinromusic3
Im in the same boat! So I will chime in and follow this thread. Bump to keep it going. Thanks for the info, and Anthony that was very helpful.

Probably better to start your own thread, as your situation may be different enough to warrant different suggestions.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
+1 start your own thread, we will be happy to help you there. threadjacking and necrobumping are generally frowned upon on UG.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/