View poll results: Do You Use Other UG Forums
Yeppers
19 54%
Nope
12 34%
I don't care, I'm now going to fill this thread with spam you ass
4 11%
Voters: 35.
Do you use other UG forums? If not, why not? Are there any ways you could be encouraged to use them more?

Songwriting & Lyrics is dead....and it's a shame because it's a creative space that relies upon interaction and (constructive) criticism and at the moment that's not there. Any suggestions?
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
S&L, EG, and GG&A.

S&L is a lot slower than it used to be, yeah. It's also a lot less cliquey. There was a collection of 5 or 6 people that would cirlce-jerk compliment everything each other posted and completely ignore the posts of every username they didn't recognize. I'd rather have it slow and open than cluttered with the trite mess that used to be posted. Especially when a couple people went all "Well I post on other sites and they're way better than this site!"

Not much else you could expect from a crowd of 'poets' who were all 19ish and starved for affirmation.

I wish greyedfire posted more. I really dug him.
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 19, 2016,
I sometimes foray into Musician Talk, Metal, Blues (or whatever it's called), etc. They're decent people who usually know their stuff and will help you, but won't feed you.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I used tooccasionally post in the hardcore forum before the regulars berated everyone else who tried to use the forum and then started crying because their forum was dead
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
i spend most of my time in the gear sections. i do post elsewhere occasionally. the pit is just for shits and giggles
Quote by WCPhils
I used tooccasionally post in the hardcore forum before the regulars berated everyone else who tried to use the forum and then started crying because their forum was dead
In a mathcore thread I said that tDEP were "okay" and they went crazy. It was like watching pigeons fighting for food.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I used to, but they're ghost towns now, so I don't even bother.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
S&L, but I kinda got over poetry cuz

'poets' who were all 19ish and starved for affirmation.

I grew out of this.
Is it as simple as they need consolidating? Or is it that they've exhausted their purpose?
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

Tabs and Chords almost exclusively but it's a bit dead atm. All the oldies moved on to real life stuff.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
The other forums do serve a purpose.

Containment.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The other forums do serve a purpose.

Containment.

|

----

Quote by WCPhils

I used to only go to the hardcore forum but then they moved the Trivium thread to Metal and it kinda died

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I used to only go to the hardcore forum but then they moved the Trivium thread to Metal and it kinda died

they moved a few others too like the BTBAM thread because they hated how much posts they got. But yea, that's when it died
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Sometimes I post in EG and GG&A but I have been posting a bit less then I used to. Sometimes trying to give advice there is akin to running full blast into a wall, head first.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sometimes I post in EG and GG&A but I have been posting a bit less then I used to. Sometimes trying to give advice there is akin to running full blast into a wall, head first.

did you really think that it would be different.
Quote by monwobobbo at #33933728
did you really think that it would be different.

Yeah I remember people being a little more knowledgeable about gear and stuff 3-4 years ago when I used to post more frequently.

Now it's a bunch of people just posting the same thread about what guitar they should buy like 3-4 times a week because they didn't get the answer they were expecting and are hoping somebody can validate their shitty BC Rich Bronze Warlock or Dean V-X purchase.

My favorite though is "Oh is XXXX good? PS I already bought it"

Well, you bought it already. Why the fuck are you asking now and what's the point!? You already own it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I go in the gear/electric guitar forums sometimes. But since I haven't got any new gear in a while/will not get new gear for a while I haven't used them in a while.

I was going to join that 7 string legion or whatever when I got a 7 string a last year but for some reason I just never got around to it.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R at #33933768
Yeah I remember people being a little more knowledgeable about gear and stuff 3-4 years ago when I used to post more frequently.

Now it's a bunch of people just posting the same thread about what guitar they should buy like 3-4 times a week because they didn't get the answer they were expecting and are hoping somebody can validate their shitty BC Rich Bronze Warlock or Dean V-X purchase.

My favorite though is "Oh is XXXX good? PS I already bought it"

Well, you bought it already. Why the fuck are you asking now and what's the point!? You already own it.

I see you in there once in awhile.

Another good one is people asking a question and never responding to any of the questions we ask them.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I move around the recording/gear/musician talk a fair amount; to be honest it comes down to whether or not there are any interesting threads on the homepage that I feel I can add to, I don't actively lurk in sections anymore.

It does depend though, sometimes the recording section gets really interesting. Musician talk often gets bogged down due to people stressing theory and posting the musical equivalent of physics equations, whereas I'm much more 'just enjoy it and go with how it makes you feel, then use theory to refine it later on'.

Sometimes I lurk in the gear section to just prevent people from making mistakes we all make when we're new to like a piece of gear, or if we're trying to upgrade gear.

I think that YouTube has curtailed a lot of the other forums simply because it's easier to watch and listen to a personality, and there's a lot of the music-related stuff on YouTube now, especially in regards to gear/technique/recording etc now.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
I move around the recording/gear/musician talk a fair amount; to be honest it comes down to whether or not there are any interesting threads on the homepage that I feel I can add to, I don't actively lurk in sections anymore.

It does depend though, sometimes the recording section gets really interesting. Musician talk often gets bogged down due to people stressing theory and posting the musical equivalent of physics equations, whereas I'm much more 'just enjoy it and go with how it makes you feel, then use theory to refine it later on'.

Sometimes I lurk in the gear section to just prevent people from making mistakes we all make when we're new to like a piece of gear, or if we're trying to upgrade gear.

I think that YouTube has curtailed a lot of the other forums simply because it's easier to watch and listen to a personality, and there's a lot of the music-related stuff on YouTube now, especially in regards to gear/technique/recording etc now.

Interesting. I don't go in recording forums because I don't have any real desire to go above GarageBand (there's no real point for me at the moment), although when I was younger I used to play around with all kinds of crazy set-ups.

As for gear, I have to avoid those forums because I just get desperate to buy new gear. I joined a band a few months ago, after only playing by myself (and not in front of people) for about 6 years. Within a month I had bought a new guitar and now I'm looking at new amp.....which is just disastrous, I can't afford that!
|

----

my homepage is the pit lol

i sometimes look at the articles on the front page, tabs, gear talk. promote band, etc...

but i don't "UG" that much.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by WCPhils
they moved a few others too like the BTBAM thread because they hated how much posts they got. But yea, that's when it died

I didn't really care if all the music wasn't "hardcore" it was basically all the bands I enjoyed discussing in the same forum and when it was all spread out across all the forums then I just couldn't be bothered any more and left

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
no, i don't
i don't play instruments (seriously enough to talk about them anyway) and the only kinds of music i listen to are most likely not discussed in other sections
i only use UG for the gaming thread and anime thread
I've never been on UG in my life and I resent the implication
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Herr Rararr
Interesting. I don't go in recording forums because I don't have any real desire to go above GarageBand (there's no real point for me at the moment), although when I was younger I used to play around with all kinds of crazy set-ups.

As for gear, I have to avoid those forums because I just get desperate to buy new gear. I joined a band a few months ago, after only playing by myself (and not in front of people) for about 6 years. Within a month I had bought a new guitar and now I'm looking at new amp.....which is just disastrous, I can't afford that!

Garageband is totally fine to use to be honest, that said the step up into a more professional DAW isn't so costly anymore; Cubase is great and super cheap these days. And it comes with a lot of great sounding amps.

Haha yeah bands do that, you'll notice your skill level rise pretty quickly too
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Garageband is totally fine to use to be honest, that said the step up into a more professional DAW isn't so costly anymore; Cubase is great and super cheap these days. And it comes with a lot of great sounding amps.

Haha yeah bands do that, you'll notice your skill level rise pretty quickly too

True dat....there's a combination of learning and not wanting to look stupid in front of people, which is a fantastic motivator.

I know there are other set-ups out there, but for the quality of music I make (shameless plug ... www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo) there's no need for anything more sophisticated. That, and I need the mobility of tablet based software.

Anyway, this is off-topic, in an off-topic forum. Oops.
|

----

idk I don't really like talking about gear & stuff in the abstract & I could talk at length about the composition of my music but who would care & also my band is an outlet for all of this, obvzi

I used to post in the punk (& ska lol) forum & then I moved over to alt & indie when I went to college & went through the obligatory "college rock" phase but now everybody's gone & I've been here for too long to face this on my own well I guess this is growing up
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by Most_Triumphant at #33933847
I see you in there once in awhile.

Another good one is people asking a question and never responding to any of the questions we ask them.

What gets me is when a posters asks a question about some gear, somebody explains something in detail thinking they're helping out, only for the TS to reply to the first comment that says "Oh, don't listen to these guys, Spiders and MGs are fine amps, I had one for 3 years and I was fine." and buys a piece of shit.

Then they come back 2 weeks later and ask "how do I get a good tone out of this can of bees with an 8 inch speaker? PS I play blues and I have a Spider IV" and I die a bit inside
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What gets me is when a posters asks a question about some gear, somebody explains something in detail thinking they're helping out, only for the TS to reply to the first comment that says "Oh, don't listen to these guys, Spiders and MGs are fine amps, I had one for 3 years and I was fine." and buys a piece of shit.

Then they come back 2 weeks later and ask "how do I get a good tone out of this can of bees with an 8 inch speaker? PS I play blues and I have a Spider IV" and I die a bit inside

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I check in on MT, GG&A, and occasionally GB&C, but not as often and I barely post. Back when the whole forum was more active I'd check out all the various subforums almost daily and posted a lot.

I don't really even check GB&C anymore. Most of the regular posters that used to keep that place alive are gone now. As far as I can tell there are still a few regulars in there, but I don't recognize most of them and all the threads are boring. They're the same as the boring threads back in the day, but there are just a lot less of the cool ones mixed in.
Used to help people in the Guitar Techniques and UG Contribution forums, but not so much anymore.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by WCPhils

those threads should have died. i'm still mad that they let these bands (and slipknot, and others) get posted in the metal forum, even if nobody posts about them there
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Yeah, cuz I really want to post a question in GG&A and wait for 6 months for a single response.
S&L was pretty shit for the most part though. From the threads I saw it was all cliched relationship bs songs, I love this girl but she don't love me and I'm so dark and empty - the song type of songs.

Like there's so much going on in the world and usually what people decided to write about was that sort of subject matter. Ugh...

I'm surprised this place is still going though. I hear the comment section in the UG News articles is the hot ticket these days. Just ask baby joel.