Hello everyone. I did a second audition for a covers band. Must have done OK in the first one to start with I guess. Learnt like 25 songs in 2 weeks. So this time ran through like 15 songs. Go to play and then told " oh by the way, we don't do this in original key but in this key" for about half of the songs. So I'm like now I got about 30 seconds to work this one out.............. played what I' d practiced as a moderate rock number about 150 mph. Played " Roll over Beethoven " standard 12- bar, yeah? No, with a key change thrown in an comment " what about the walking bassline" er, come again. My thoughts: if you ask me to audition at least first tell me what key you play the song in. Did the best I could and didn't disgrace myself though. Any thoughts? Is this normal for an audition? Maybe just a communication thing. Any comments welcome.
It's them being dicks if you ask me. To me it's fine to say something like that 'okay we're gonna do a song we haven't told you we'd be doing, you'll probably know the song, it's in this key and here are the major chords/root notes, let's just see what happens'. And if you just keep time and adjust on the fly and it's not a total disaster, for me that's fine, because sometimes live playing does that.

But randomly changing the key for a song you've already learnt at their request and expecting you to immediately be able to switch it up is a dick move. It's quite clear to me that they're likely asking much more out of you than they would themselves. And, it's a cover band for gods sake, you're not auditioning for Metallica. That level of music theory knowledge and even bass knowledge, is not even remotely needed for a straight-up covers band, it's not Dream Theater.

If they do stuff like this it can very likely create issues with getting paid and possibly even having gear damaged and not replaced.

If you were in a studio auditioning to be a session player or whatever, then yeah they can probably do stuff like that and expect you to 100% it immediately. But for a covers band? Come on man
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Dunno. Off course they could be dicks, they could be unorganized, they could be thinking that they need Dream Theater level adaptation skills.

But in my time in coverbands/bluesbands this happens every time. You learn a song and the geezer who does vocals and plays harmonica goes "Can we do this one in F instead?" and simply picks up another mouth organ.

I got myself a five string simply to be more flexible with things like this. You don't want to say "Nah, can't do Enter Sandman in D" or "Yeah, I'll re-learn until next time".
Quote by copperwreck
Dunno. Off course they could be dicks, they could be unorganized, they could be thinking that they need Dream Theater level adaptation skills.

But in my time in coverbands/bluesbands this happens every time. You learn a song and the geezer who does vocals and plays harmonica goes "Can we do this one in F instead?" and simply picks up another mouth organ.

I got myself a five string simply to be more flexible with things like this. You don't want to say "Nah, can't do Enter Sandman in D" or "Yeah, I'll re-learn until next time".

Unless you're a professional covers band that goes on tour then this level of expectation is absolutely not correct. 'Yeah i'll re-learn next time' is perfectly fine for your average covers band. There has to be some reality to this shit, it's a covers band. If they take themselves too seriously they've chosen the wrong career considering they're doing multiple bands, and not a single band.

They might think they need Dream Theater level adaptation skills but they're wrong For me, people like this - and they do gravitate towards being in bands - cause nothing but headaches, and it's just not worth it if you're not on tour or doing originals and going somewhere.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I agree. Sounds like they're dickheads. Unless it's a really high rate of pay, it's probably not worth the headeaches.
Remember, at any audition you are auditioning them as much as they are auditioning you. My experience is that most bands aren't very organised so don't chose the nuclear option yet. Did you enjoy it? If so the chance is that you'd enjoy playing with them. Did you hate the uncertainty? Then they may be a bit too loose for you.

To me it's unprofessional (not giving you enough information) but sooo many bands are disorganised.

They may not offer you the gig but if they do then you need to think about whether you want to do it so that you are prepared for the call when it comes?
Thanks for the replies. So, an update - of sorts. Left the second audition with a comment "we're playing xxxxx in a few days, come down and see us" which I thought a bit odd - having played in bands myself I don't really know how I'd take it if I knew a possible replacement was standing up the bar watching me. (Even if he would be a dep player). I don't want to see your band, I want to play in your band.....I didn't say anything anyway, and didn't take up their offer. Don't want to appear like some kind of desperate wannabee

I know they wanted to try out another bloke who the singer knows. My instinct tells me what will happen is that if he's up to it, they'll go with him. 10 days later I haven't heard, anything but I think it's more a case of them getting their act together - the other bloke hadn't shown at the audtion when I went to it. Think I'll text and ask how it's going, and gauge the lie of the land from any reply. There are other possibilities in the pipeline, it's not like I'm sitting around losing sleep about it.