A dear old buddy of mine has been going through hell for awhile now ... he's been losing the use of his fretting hand. Can't even hold down chords anymore, let alone solo ... and he was a great player. Plus, guitar is (was) his living.

Anyway, he's finally been seen by the NHS, and he's been told he has serious nerve compression which they can trivially operate on, and bring him back to full playing skills again. SO, he's one happy fellah, as am I for him.

That's another guitarist saved!!

Anyone else got similar stories with the happy ending?
I only have my dad who has had two wrist surgeries and still rocks to this day. He's a true old school guitarist, who doesn't know a drop of theory but can still improvise great riffs and blues solos.

Every time he picks up the guitar, I hear some cool riff and go "what song was that?" and he just goes "I just came up with it lol (paraphrasing a bit)".
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Got into a fight with a table saw back in 2004. Cut my fretting hand, partially severed nerves and tendons, took 1/8" out of the knuckle on my ring finger. Surgery, rehab, the whole 9. Still missing some feeling in 2 fingers and my ring finger no longer lays flat, but I can still play and my hand ended up being stronger than before I was injured.
That's great news!

I got nothing, I broke my left elbow once, but that doesn't even count:

I was in a sling for 4 days and playing guitar the whole time
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by thusuntotyrants
Got into a fight with a table saw back in 2004. Cut my fretting hand, partially severed nerves and tendons, took 1/8" out of the knuckle on my ring finger. Surgery, rehab, the whole 9. Still missing some feeling in 2 fingers and my ring finger no longer lays flat, but I can still play and my hand ended up being stronger than before I was injured.

Yikes! My nightmare.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I only have my dad who has had two wrist surgeries and still rocks to this day. He's a true old school guitarist, who doesn't know a drop of theory but can still improvise great riffs and blues solos.

Every time he picks up the guitar, I hear some cool riff and go "what song was that?" and he just goes "I just came up with it lol (paraphrasing a bit)".

Good for your dad! You both jam together?
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Good for your dad! You both jam together?

We rarely have to guitars at hand at the same time. He only has one electric and I don't really lug my own with me when I visit, we usually don't get the chance. I could arrange one of course
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here