I am at the point where my musical creativity is being greatly handicapped by my lack of musical knowledge. I have no knowledge of music theory and I just feel as if my creative potential has been sapped up at this point.

I've written dozens of short pieces that I absolutely love but I've hit a roadblock where I just can't comprehend where to take all of those pieces and complete them into full songs. I feel like what I've created is my songwriting at it's maximum potential and I can't go any further to complete my songs. I feel like I've peaked and I'm wondering if music theory will help me expand my skills further.

I'm not good with song structure, knowing what notes go together, how to transition, how to transcribe music from my mind to my instrument, etc.

Would music theory be the key to help me out of this place I'm in? If so where should I start? Should I just learn anything and everything related to music theory?
Last edited by DudE132 at Apr 20, 2016,
Hey, welcome to S&L.

I think this might be better placed in the Musician Talk forum, but I'll do my best to answer.

Music theory can always help, but it's not the only way to expand your songwriting or creativity - there are plenty of incredible guitarists out there who only had rudimentary/self-taught knowledge of theory. Having said that, the vast majority have a decent to good understanding and it certainly helps.

In terms of where to start, have you ever taken lessons? I personally find it easier to learn from someone else, or at least get pointed in the right direction on a subject as big as this.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Music theory is not really going to get you out of your writers block, but it can certainly help. It's helped me start writing. You don't need to know everything, like learning how to read sheet music, that would be like starting from square one. Try learning your scales again and how they are set up. That will help you learn the basics for chord progressions, and figuring our which chords sound best together. You also might want to learn where all the notes are on the neck. Just as a hint each starting note is going to relate with the open stings and each note will be one fret apart with the exceptions of B and C and E and F. If it helps any you can also start learning music on another instrument. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory, by Michael Miller, is one of my favorite books, that I refer to constantly, I highly recommend going to your local library and seeing if they have a copy.
Last edited by tonimleya at Apr 23, 2016,