Hey, so I've been out of the pedal game for a while so not sure what's good.

In short I've moved and only have room to bring one amp, which was my Fender Blues Deluxe. There really is only so much fusion/blues rock I can handle and need to spice the variety up and get back into playing some metal.

I was thinking of getting a metal distortion of some description to fit the bill whilst my Marshall lies in storage.

Current gear: Ibanez RGA72, Fender Blues Deluxe, SD1
Budget: Give or take $150. Happy to save for something extra worthwhile
New/Used: Either
Sounds i'm after: It would have to be mainly modern metal so think Trivium, Protest the Hero, Machine Head, etc so on and so forth.

I've checked out some of the AMT stuff on Youtube, and I don't know if it's just Youtube's crappy compression on the audio or not but I wasn't that blown away. The SD1 can be used to tighten up any looseness.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Check out the Rat and Mesa boogie throttle box, also I think ENGL sell a distortion box now.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by Guitar137335
Check out the Rat and Mesa boogie throttle box, also I think ENGL sell a distortion box now.

+1 for Mesa Throttle Box. The best sounding high-gain pedal in that price range, according to my taste. And works very well in combination with an OD or TS in front of it, to tighten up the bottom end - almost like a real tube amp.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
I don't think any of these are in your price range, but IMHO, they ARE worth saving for.

OKKO Dominator MK II Red or Black (yes, they are different)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TanmobltWfY&sns=em

Empress Heavy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVi38qIaVg&sns=em

And on the weirder side...the WMD Geiger Counter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7VFxIBj84&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Eppicurt

I've checked out some of the AMT stuff on Youtube, and I don't know if it's just Youtube's crappy compression on the audio or not but I wasn't that blown away.

Well, as far as recording goes AMT P1 can be virtually indistinguishable from the real preamp of 5150, if this blind test is to be believed that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQX0DoLEuw

Since Machine Head is on your list something that tries to emulate 5150/6505 is definetly something I would try to find and AMT P-1 or P-2 should be exactly that, a mosfet version of 5150 preamp. Only if your amp has an FX Loop that is.

Alternatively Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro is something you might want to check out if you have the cash. Created by James Brown (no, not that James Brown) who was one of the guys behind 5150. Tight Metal definetly has similar sound with a lot of oomph, Pro version in particular since it has a proper EQ. The vanilla version which I own currently I am not too hot about, its adjustability is very limited and it has a base tone you either love or hate and which you can make tighter or looser. The tone knob EQ is not enough to fine tune it to my tastes. Also connected to the FX Return though it does work decently at front too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I've heard good things about the Tightmetal Pro.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I personally really like the EHX Metal Muff. Ran it through a friend's Fender Twin once and it sounded really close to a Mesa (just to give you an idea of the sound).
I think the Rivera Metal Shaman should be on the list if only you could find one used for $150 that is, and the fact that we are now discussing $300 pedals also. The Bogner Red and the Bogner Uberschall -also $300 pedals, but used or on layaway they could be an alternative.

I'm personally courting the Mesa throttle box eq myself, just have to make it to the Mesa store to try one out. I highly suggest trying your pedal first hand. For me 99% of the "Pedal Demo Videos" online are of dudes playing stuff that is just not metal enough for me so I think a test drive is important.

contenders for extreme death metal:
-Mesa Throttle Box Eq
-Rivera Metal Shaman
-Wampler Triple Wreck

a little bit lighter in gain but with that Bogner tone:
-Bogner Red
-Bogner Uberschall

a little big lighter then the Mesa throttle box.
-Mesa Flux 5
Last edited by ad_works at Apr 21, 2016,
I'll be checking on this thread. I love my Mark IV but I kind of miss the 5150 sound. I don't want to buy the Peavey, but a pedal that emulated it would probably be enough.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by ad_works
I think the Rivera Metal Shaman should be on the list if only you could find one used for $150 that is, and the fact that we are now discussing $300 pedals also. The Bogner Red and the Bogner Uberschall -also $300 pedals, but used or on layaway they could be an alternative.

I'm personally courting the Mesa throttle box eq myself, just have to make it to the Mesa store to try one out. I highly suggest trying your pedal first hand. For me 99% of the "Pedal Demo Videos" online are of dudes playing stuff that is just not metal enough for me so I think a test drive is important.

contenders for extreme death metal:
-Mesa Throttle Box Eq
-Rivera Metal Shaman
-Wampler Triple Wreck

a little bit lighter in gain but with that Bogner tone:
-Bogner Red
-Bogner Uberschall

a little big lighter then the Mesa throttle box.
-Mesa Flux 5

Ah, I remembered Tightmetal Pro was bit over 200$ where TS might be able to stretch. Yeah 300$ might be bit too much for his budget. But TS might find the vanilla version good enough for his needs and its less than 200$. 179$ on Amazon.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 21, 2016,
Anyone know when Peavey is shipping the Pirahna head? $179 was the advertised price. Plug that into your existing loop/speaker.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I use a similar amp and I love my Suhr Riot to go from shiny clean to "brootz" with a kick to the switch. Its a really quiet pedal and has a ton of gain on tap but it stays impressively tight.

I also love the MI Audio Crunch Box. Its similar to the Riot in that its quiet and has a ton of tight gain on tap, but it has a much more Marshall flavored tone to it. The Crunch Box also cleans up exceptionally well, its basically an overdrive with a shit ton of gain.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you're looking at Mesa I'd suggest to check out the Mesa V-Twin, it was light years better than their new line of pedals. You'd have to buy used.

The Warmpler I mentioned seems to do a very good rendition of a Triple Recto.