Is there such thing as pickups that will fit in a Tele without modification and sound like Strat pickups? In a perfect world, they would be hotter than strat pickups as well.
I bought a 45th Anniversary Mad Cat which, unlike the Reissue Mad Cat, has Bill Lawrence T1 and T2 pickups. My original plan was to swap in S1/S3, but I dont want to cut the pickguard, it's far too pretty and I want any changes to be reversible.

I can find a lot of discussion about Strat pickups that sound like Tele pickups, but not the other way around.

Actually I wouldnt mind if they sounded between the two, and I assume if they are built like Tele pickups (size, brass plate) but wound like Strat pickups (what is the difference anyway) they will.

The thing I like the least about the Tele pickups in the Mad Cat is how much they feed back. The S1/S3 pickups dont feed back at all. But I would also like it to sound slightly more strat-ward.
I would email some of the custom pickup winders out there and see what they say.

Wait for dannyalcatraz to pop in. He knows of a lot of boutique winders. He may have a recommendation or two for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I would email some of the custom pickup winders out there and see what they say.

Wait for dannyalcatraz to pop in. He knows of a lot of boutique winders. He may have a recommendation or two for you.

*POOF*
A lot of the boutique winders offer products to fit a particular sound in unusual spaces, kind of like there are lots of singlecoil-sized HBs out there.

For example, I got a Charlie Christian in a Tele bridge size from Vintage Vibe. Sounds great. Pete (the owner/operator) also makes it in standard singlecoil, HB and P90 size.

I'd start with him. Others who might do ya right include The Creamery, Rio Grande...possibly Lollar or Kent Armstrong.

What might be easier is something like the aforementioned Charlie Christian or P90 style pickup in a Tele size, especially since you say you want something hotter than a standard Strat pickup.

One last option I can think of is a Lace Alumitone. They make those in a variety of sizes and shapes. Very clean.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 21, 2016,
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
The twisted telecaster pickups sound more like strat pickups than anything else, the neck pickup have longer alnico 5 pole pieces that widens the tone and makes it more akin to a strat neck pickup. They come standard in the baja and american standard teles, and can be gotten off ebay fairly cheap. The hardest tones to reproduce are obviously the in between tones, and you often see telecasters with three pickups installed to achieve this. I don't know why you'd want the teles bridge to sound more like a strats, as their tone is considerably weaker than the tele - i must i say i rarely use the bridge pickup on the strat as much as the tele, unless i'm using plenty of gain with the tone rolled back a bit. I'm sure with some simple switch wiring (such as a five way, and an s1) and a middle pickup, classic tele and strat tone could be squeezed out of a tele for less than 100 quid investment.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Somehow I never got notified that there were replies to this thread!

Here is what I have found so far:

I made this for my own purposes and to send to my tech, but I cant see any reason not to repost:

Here are the DCR readings of the existing pickups, taken from the output jack with the knobs maxed. Lindy Fralin says these readings should be ~200ohms higher because of the pots being in the circuit.

T1 5.11k
T2 6.37k
both 2.87k

S1 5.35k
S3 6.74k
both 3.01k

Pickup options, in no particular order:

- Modify the S3 to fit in the bridge, keep the T1 in the neck.
Cost: $0 (or $45 if I buy a second S3 to keep in the Harley Benton)
Requires a lot of extra labor and the metal plate from a dead Tele pickup (or I sacrifice the T2)
Neck DCR: ~5k
Bridge DCR: ~6.5k

-Modify the S3 to fit in the bridge, Harmonic Design Mini Strat in the neck
Cost: $100 (or $145 if I buy a second S3 to keep in the Harley Benton)
Requires a lot of extra labor and the metal plate from a dead Tele pickup (or I sacrifice the T3)
Neck DCR: unknown
Bridge DCR: ~6.5k

- Fender Twisted Tele pickups
Cost: $160
Neck pickup comes standard with the chrome cover (which I do not want)
Neck DCR: 5.9k
Bridge DCR: 10.4k

- Fralin Blues Specials or Stock Tele Pickups.
Cost: $180
Multiple people recommended the Blues Specials, Fralin himself thinks I'd like his stock Tele pickups better, but he's going to get back to me with more info. His stock neck comes with the chrome cover, which I do not want
Neck DCR: 7k
Bridge DCR 7k/6.6k

-McNelly Duckling Overwound (neck) and A5 Signature Bridge
Cost: $205
Bridge pickup would not look identical
Bridge DCR: unknown

Dylanpickups custom made
Cost: $180
Dylan has watched my videos and seems to have a very accurate grasp of what I am looking for.
Neck DCR: 5.9k
Bridge DCR: 6.9k

GuitarFetish Pro Series 63
Cost: $60
Neck comes standard with chrome cover, which I do not want
Neck DCR: 7.8k
Bridge DCR: 7k or 7.8k

BareKnuckle Pickups Flat 52 neck and 55 Stagger bridge
Cost: $150?
They are in the UK. Neck pickup comes standard with chrome cover but they make it clear it is designed to be used without it as well.
Neck DCR: 5k
Bridge DCR: 6.8k

Cavalier Pickups Lioness neck with custom high turn count, counter-clockwise w/a5's, and Huge Lion bridge, clockwise north w/a5's
Cost: $115
He is willing to custom make whatever I need but these are his suggestions based on my requests
Bridge DCR: 11.4k

Rose Pickups Bourbon neck and Alba or Aphrodite bridge
Cost: $97
Have not heard back from them yet, I am told they are behind and take a month or so to fill orders. Also told their pickups are comparable to those that cost 3-4 times the price. Without talking to them, do not know which bridge is closer.
BRidge DCR: unknown
Fender twisted tele pickups
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Fender twisted tele pickups

They're on there, but they're not my first choice I dont think, as the neck is designed to be used with the cover (which I wont be using) and the bridge has a much higher DCR than the S3.
Leaning towards the custom set from DylanPickups because they would be matched and he's willing to make specifically what I request.
Well, you did say this:
Quote by mt_spiffy
Is there such thing as pickups that will fit in a Tele without modification and sound like Strat pickups? In a perfect world, they would be hotter than strat pickups as well.

As I noted, something in the P90 family would be hotter, and those Dirty Harry pups definitely fit that description.

And dialed in properly with your guitar & amp controls, they will still twang pretty well. And rock, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj35LC8eWd4&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 25, 2016,
What I like about the strat pickups is the full range-- they are bassy AND have the fender sparkle.

The tele pickups have less of both, more midrange.
Rio Grande has many options:
http://www.riograndepickups.com/sets-for-telecaster

Comparing the Tele models to their Strat tone chart, it looks like the Muy Grande set may be more like what you want.
http://www.riograndepickups.com/muy-grande-tele-set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTIJmYrkQzg&sns=em

Like many boutique builders, they're pretty damn halpful when you contact them on a tone quest. Drop them a line describing your desired tone, and they'll tell you what of their products best match it.

The custom winders like Vintage Vibe or The Creamery will build it* if they don't already.

* assuming, of course, that what you're asking for is possible.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 25, 2016,
Trying them later at the church, full volume:

I think they come very close to nailing exactly what I wanted. They sound sweeter and fuller than the Bill Lawrence T1/T2 set that comes in the Anniversary MadCat, but punchier and more Tele-like than the S1/S3 set that comes in the Reissue MadCat. There is very minimal feedback with high gain.