I've been playing guitar not too seriously for about a year now, and due to my current life circumstances currently have shit loads of time on my hands to practice. So, I've decided to start a weekly YouTube series to track my progress as I go from a bluesy noob, to hopefully a competent shredder for some motivation to look back on as I improve. Not really sure what sort of routine I should use in the videos but any advice is greatly appreciated. IF ya wan't, follow me on my journey! Here's the first video..

Guitar noob to SHRED DEMON: Week 1

Also on a side note if you're wondering where I'm at as I begin the journey here's my 1 Year's progress video..

1 Year Guitar Progress

PS: Any tips on learning to shred will be hugely appreciated!
scoop the mids

edit -

I watched the vid and it's definitely good that you're using a metronome already. Best of luck.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Apr 21, 2016,
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
scoop the mids

edit -

I watched the vid and it's definitely good that you're using a metronome already. Best of luck.

Figured it was the easiest way to keep track of progress, cheers.
Ive been playing like 9 years now, and Im pretty into metal solos and stuff. I think the best approach when learning a new technique is to isolate the parts of it that are foreign to you and practice them seperately before putting them together. You also wanna use the most simplistic fingering patterns in a place on the neck thats comfortable for you. In one of your videos, for instance, you are practicing sweep picking and alternate picking of the major scale. Try a 3-string sweep before a 5 string sweep, for instance. For alternate picking, the the scale you are using has different amounts of notes per string, it might be more beneficial to use a chromatic scale or some 3 note per string scale so that your left hand has less to do while you excercise your right.

Keep it up! Really not bad considering its only been a year dude!