I usually play in C-tuning or even C# for some Abbath songs, but recently I went down all the way to B-tuning so I could play some Amon Amarth on my six-string (as they do.)

The problem with this is that there is some fret-buzz, mostly on the upper two strings.

The ESP LTD Ax-50 has a fixed neck but has an adjustable bridge (saddle? Action? No clue what to call it. It has two screws that adjust it up and down, plus these individual bars for each string.)

Would really love to get rid of that buzz so I can play one of my favorite songs by them, "Under the Northern Star".

Any help would be loved.
I have an Ltd ax-260 with a tuneomatic bridge (I believe), and I have to raise the bridge a bit and after that I didn't buzz, idk if that's any help, but that worked for me good luck!!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Hey, I appreciate the response, but the page doesn't seem like it actually tells me how *much* to adjust it. I know how to adjust the thumb screws and the saddle, but how do I know how far to go with it?

I could just adjust the saddle up high enough to remove the fret buzz, but isn't that a bad thing because the higher frets (12+) would be waaay above the neck?

EDIT: Ok wait, I think I get it. You LOWER the little bar-thing to RAISE an individual string? If so, that solves my problem. Thanks!
Last edited by robmoore67 at Apr 22, 2016,
What gauge stings are you using? That's probably the issue.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

+1

Quote by robmoore67
I usually play in C-tuning or even C# for some Abbath songs, but recently I went down all the way to B-tuning so I could play some Amon Amarth on my six-string (as they do.)

The problem with this is that there is some fret-buzz, mostly on the upper two strings.

The ESP LTD Ax-50 has a fixed neck but has an adjustable bridge (saddle? Action? No clue what to call it. It has two screws that adjust it up and down, plus these individual bars for each string.)

Would really love to get rid of that buzz so I can play one of my favorite songs by them, "Under the Northern Star".

Any help would be loved.

Did you change the strings to a thicker gauge? If so, then you might need to adjust the neck to eliminate all buzz. But normally just a millimeter of gain in height will be enough to remove the buzz.

The bridge has two thumb-wheels on either ends where the bridge sits on the body to adjust the bridge height on the treble and bass sides.

Quote by robmoore67
Hey, I appreciate the response, but the page doesn't seem like it actually tells me how *much* to adjust it. I know how to adjust the thumb screws and the saddle, but how do I know how far to go with it?

I could just adjust the saddle up high enough to remove the fret buzz, but isn't that a bad thing because the higher frets (12+) would be waaay above the neck?

EDIT: Ok wait, I think I get it. You LOWER the little bar-thing to RAISE an individual string? If so, that solves my problem. Thanks!

By the little bar-thing if you mean the saddles on which the strings sit on. Then please don't touch them. They can be moved by screws to adjust the intonation of an individual string and won't affect the height or action. You will mess up you guitar's sound.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
GB&A MS-10 (a teeny tiny solid-state amp)

Coping up with some serious GAS !!!
Last edited by sigma005 at Apr 26, 2016,
This seems to be a recurring thread type.

If you loosen your strings (in order to tune lower), you reduce the tension on the neck. Most necks have a truss rod built in that counters the tension on the neck, forcing the headstock back slightly while the strings pull the headstock forward.

If you loosen the strings, the neck bends backward slightly and you'll sometimes have strings buzzing on the frets. You need to *loosen* the truss rod very slightly (perhaps 1/8th or 1/4 turn), then retune the guitar to your new lower tuning (because if you loosen the truss rod, the tuning will drop a bit further), and the buzzing should stop.

This constant flopping back and forth is why a lot of the better-heeled guitar players that are doing a lot of alternate tunings are buying one guitar for each tuning and leaving it there. The only other option is to buy a Variax guitar, which allows you to output an extremely wide range of alternate tunings without ever touching the string tension.
You could also try a baritone or 7 string. These are designed specifically for those kinds of low tunings in mind and don't need a total set up every time.

If you change the gauge of your strings to accommodate the lower tunings, your intonation, action and truss rod need adjusting, which if by the fact you don't know WHY your guitar is buzzing in the first place, I'm guessing you don't really know how to do these sort of things confidently.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb