Poll: Can one cause be more important than another?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can one cause be more important than another?
Yes
27 100%
No
0 0%
Voters: 27.
It seems like there is a "cause" behind everything - adopt a dog or cat from your local humane society, adopt a child from another country, fight hunger or sex slavery, house the homeless, help inner-city high schoolers go to college - the list goes on.

How do you even go about deciding what matters? Is it all relative or are some things actually more important than others? And, if you're actually fortunate enough to have money to donate, how do you decide where it goes?

Also I just can't sleep right now and am pretty convinced that eating chips and salsa will not help me go to sleep any faster.
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
tl;dr absolute v relative morality
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
tl;dr absolute v relative morality

I'd say it's not a question of morality though. I think most can agree that there is some good done through all of these causes and charity outlets.

But how do you decide where to give your time or money?

Are people the ultimate concern? Hunger, homelessness - issues that face people?
But what about the environment? If the earth is deteriorating too quickly, there might not be people around in a few hundred years to help.

It's just something I've been wondering about. Not a trick question.
Human life > environment >= human living condition > animals > human luxury

Be mindful about it all
Climate change is the most important issue right now 'cause all other issues will be rendered meaningless when we're all dead.
Free Ali
Depends on not only what the most important cause is, but also how your action itself would help said cause relatively.

For instance, I'd say ending world hunger is much more important than saving a couple of dogs in your neighborhood. However, if you have 1000$ to donate and have a free weekend of spare time to put into a "cause", helping those dogs will relatively help that cause much much more than just donating the money to an arbitrary charity (that among other things helps feed people).

Plus, maybe there are lot of billionaires and other people donating and putting effort in helping feeding people, so your effort on it wouldn't have much impact (unless you decided to go feed people yourself out on the streets, or came up with a super GMO seed that solved world hunger). What about some other "cause" that is relatively unknown or people don't care too much about? Maybe raising awareness towards it, putting money, time and effort behind it, etc, would improve the human race much more (again, relatively to you choosing to spend that money/time/etc on another "more important" cause).

There are also other schools of thought that your actions should maximize the help to the most amount of people. It's called effective altruism. Basically if you ever have money to donate you should donate it to charities that put Malaria nets over Africa since the ratio of "amount of lives saved" per dollar is the highest. After that you should donate towards charities/medical groups/etc fighting tuberculosis in some countries, etc. If you have "trouble" thinking about what to do, just go do that and "feel good" (I certainly do donate to some of those because of laziness to figure this stuff out lol).
The problem with that effective altruism is that if everybody does it, those charities/etc will be overfunded and will actually be less effective, plus other problems in the world won't have the necessary attention, which they should.

So yeah, if you want investigate a little bit about the possible "causes", see which ones require the most help in which specific area (either in funding, or in raising awareness globally, or raising awareness in your country/neighbourhood, or time spent volunteering, or further research/search for solutions, etc). After that compare it to what that kind of help that's required would benefit that cause (and the whole world) the most, and after that compare all of them to see which actions you can take that would improve that cause the most relatively to the rest, based on those aspects.
For instance, maybe going around your neighbourhood knocking door after door raising awareness about climate change (or making posts about it online, on Twitter, Facebook, etc) might help much more than just giving X$ to a charity fighting human trafficking/hunger/homelessness/etc (because it's important that more people understand the problem so they vote for people that will try to fight against climate change for example)

Oh, also think about it politically and philosophically too.
For example, should you give money to homeless people you see in the street? Or should you donate money to charities that house homeless people and give them food/etc? Or should you campaign for more social programs from the government so the government itself helps those homeless people (and thus get involved politically)? Or should you instead research economics and other factors so you can come up with a better idea to solve that problem (like maybe buying a farm and proposing some homeless people go there to live off the farm or something)? Or should you just try your hardest to "improve the economy" so eventually poverty is reduced in your country and thus there will be less homeless people (for instance by voting for leaders that you believe would improve the economy and the lives of homeless people)?
It's not as easy as just figuring out a certain "cause" is important. We want actually meaningful effort and actions to happen to solve those issues
Last edited by gonzaw at Apr 21, 2016,
If there was a meteor going to hit earth in 2 years pretty sure that would be important
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
gonzaw comes in, looks around, drops a monolith of text

/thread

I want to turn this into a discussion about the merits of discussing manspreading versus problems like the gender wage gap. Not that I think we'll have any sort of meaningful discussion, but this thread is entirely too civil so far, and this is the Pit.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I want to turn this into a discussion about the merits of discussing manspreading versus problems like the gender wage gap. Not that I think we'll have any sort of meaningful discussion, but this thread is entirely too civil so far, and this is the Pit.

Manspreading is solved by asking nicely the gender pay gap is statistical myth

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by chrismendiola
Animals don't deserve your money (Genghis Ghandi, 2015).

Animals don't even understand money. What's a cat going to do with a tenner?
I have nothing important to say
If I had a lot of money to donate I'd choose juvenile diabetes research, breast cancer, etc as these are things that have effected my family.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
1)Find an idea you personally relate to and feel motivated enough to apply your time or money to

2) Research organizations that provide services to the cause and see what thru-put value makes it through the bureaucratic bullshit and red tape.

3) ????

4) Profit.

I don't suggest anyone else do this - but I hate seeing people go hungry. I also hate seeing so-called street beggers out themselves as frauds. Locally, food pantries and soup *******s provide a phenom service but are a bit under funded. Around the turkey holiday, I identify and observe a homeless family for about 1-2 weeks. I pick a restaurant, speak to the manager and see if he can get onboard with a 'restricted gift certificate' (as to avoid a liquid meal).

2-3 days before turkey day I'll approach the family, speak with them, let them know what I've done, and where they can go and claim their hot meal. At that point, I disappear.

In the 5 years I've been doing this, I've had one family refuse and 2 restaurants request not to be involved.

Again - this takes on unnecessary risk for the person donating to a cause. I don't encourage anyone else do this. I just hate watching 50-75% of every dollar I donate go to red tape, bureaucratic bullshit.

that being said - ******* ******* *******, MF-ing *******.

Yes, I felt like being profane.
Quote by gonzaw
...There are also other schools of thought that your actions should maximize the help to the most amount of people. It's called effective altruism. Basically if you ever have money to donate you should donate it to charities that put Malaria nets over Africa since the ratio of "amount of lives saved" per dollar is the highest. After that you should donate towards charities/medical groups/etc fighting tuberculosis in some countries, etc. If you have "trouble" thinking about what to do, just go do that and "feel good" (I certainly do donate to some of those because of laziness to figure this stuff out lol).
The problem with that effective altruism is that if everybody does it, those charities/etc will be overfunded and will actually be less effective, plus other problems in the world won't have the necessary attention, which they should...

Thanks for the long and badass post!

Totally agree with the effective altruism idea...but here's something else I've been wondering: if you have money to give, you could help anyone in the world - but is it more important to focus on helping those in need that are closer to you? Sure, folks in another continent may be more destitute, but shouldn't we help the people in need in our city before we jump to the next city? or the next country? idk.

just a thought
Quote by Xomar
Thanks for the long and badass post!

Totally agree with the effective altruism idea...but here's something else I've been wondering: if you have money to give, you could help anyone in the world - but is it more important to focus on helping those in need that are closer to you? Sure, folks in another continent may be more destitute, but shouldn't we help the people in need in our city before we jump to the next city? or the next country? idk.

just a thought

Globalism has made distance obsolete. For an example: sometimes it's good to cyberhelp the brits from thinking that TOTALITARIANISM IS THE ANSWER.

If you are helping via money, you need to Google search "not-for-profit watchdogs in [your area]". It's more important to make sure that your donation isn't blown on super-duper sad 'Arms of an Angel' puppy doggy commercials. You give money as a cause, to effect something, and you leave it at that (unless you're super stoked about your goodness, and have to tell everyone + your gravestone of course).

If you're trying to help non-monetarily -- which is more direct -- you make the change. You're still an inherently bad person if you treat a homeless person like shit, regardless of your Save The Trees Foundation contribution.
Last edited by Fat Lard at Apr 22, 2016,
Quote by Fat Lard
Globalism has made distance obsolete. For an example: sometimes it's good to cyberhelp the brits from thinking that TOTALITARIANISM IS THE ANSWER.

but like you said in your last statement - if it's the donating of time and sweat that makes a difference, shouldn't you focus on your community? or do you buy a plane ticket to another continent and move your life there?

If I was to only give money to organizations in Africa, who would help the homeless and unfortunate here in my town?

maybe the answer is helping people in your community and helping folks in sub-standard living situations in other countries. Maybe community help is more time and effort while the international help is a reoccurring donation?
Some causes are more important than others, but we have no way of knowing one way or the other until well after the fact, and even then it's questionable
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls