Page 1 of 2
Sober is the new drunk: why millennials are ditching bar crawls for juice crawls
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/21/millennials-booze-free-events-juice-crawl-new-york

On a Saturday afternoon in Manhattan, Rachel Floyd and her boyfriend Paul Isham take a shot of a dark yellow liquid called Mother F*#%in’ Fireball.

“It kind of makes my leg hair follicles feel like they’re standing out,” says Isham, a 33-year-old audio visual technician whose grey hoodie is decorated with a Bernie Sanders sticker and button. Floyd, who is wearing a Feel the Bern-themed Christmas sweater, throws back the small plastic cup. “Oh man. I feel that right up here,” she says, bringing her left hand over her head.

The 26-year-old clinical psychology grad student is on her eighth shot of the day, but she could still pass a breathalyzer test. The Mother F*#%in’ Fireball is not the cinnamon whiskey teenagers steal from their parents around Christmas – it’s an orange-based drink with a spicy kick from a mix of cayenne, ginger and oregano oil.

Floyd is on a juice crawl, a monthly event in which participants hop to three different shops and sample more than 19 flavors with names such as “Purple Rain” and “Dr Feelgood” from 2oz plastic cups. It’s just one of many booze-free activities that have popped up in major US cities to serve a growing number of young people who are ditching the hooch.

This group is not full of recovering addicts, but rather people who value mindfulness, spandex and green juice. For those 35 and under, cutting back on booze no longer means social suicide. In addition to juice crawls, there are now sober day raves, alcohol-free bars, boozeless dinner and dance parties, and a sober social network that organizes group outings and launched a dating app so popular it has temporarily shut down.

The long line outside of Shine, a booze-free event that combines food, water with “Australian flower essences”, meditation and “enlightertainment” (music, a talk and a film) is full of people who either do not drink or are trying to cut back. Since 2014, when the gathering was first launched in LA, Shine has spread to New York and now regularly sells out to crowds of more than 100 people, who the founder describes as “mindful tastemakers” and “spiritually curious”.

Most attendees are millennials with new-agey reasons for socializing sober. Ask and they’ll say they “love real, authentic relationships”, and want to “open up to others on the same journey” and be “centered and calm to appreciate the day”.

In plain-speak, they think booze makes interactions less meaningful and that hangovers get in the way of their goals.

“I just feel like you have deeper conversations with people when you’re not distracted by drunkenness,” says June Zhang, a 26-year-old MBA student who drinks at most once a week.

“I want to wake up each morning with a fresh mind so I can write,” says Ryan Fischer, a 35-year-old dog walker and writer who hasn’t touched alcohol for the past few months and recently returned from a shamanic retreat. “At night my dad has a couple of whiskeys and my mom has a Pinot Grigio and they lull into the night. I just don’t want to do that.”

Paradoxically, the tough economic times faced by millennials may actually be driving them away from drink. A recent study of millennials in five different countries, including the US, found 75% of those surveyed drink in moderation on most nights out.

“Substances are becoming culture not counterculture,” she says, twisting the cap on a bottle of “Kalefornia” green juice. “You see the culture going towards one extreme and you’re going to have the other extreme. Like, actually the real rebellion is to not do this stuff.”

We Are Millennials
does millennial = person who is different? "35 and 33 year old don't like alcohol, kids are nutty these days"
i think millennial is becoming synonymous with hipster
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I thought Millennials were a bit younger than 36, but I guess not. Also, I do agree that hangovers get in the way of my goals, but sometimes you just need a good bout of binge drinking to help clear the head
Quote by Baby Joel
i think millennial is becoming synonymous with hipster

It's already synonymous with 'Anyone between the ages of 10 to 35 who behaves vaguely erratically'

Paradoxically, the tough economic times faced by millennials may actually be driving them away from drink. A recent study of millennials in five different countries, including the US, found 75% of those surveyed drink in moderation on most nights out.

Wait, so are millennials like, the actual best generation? It has its nuisances and quirks, but works hard and recognizes the need not to self-medicate when in distress?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Apr 21, 2016,
Yeh this will totally catch on with everybody.
I'm sure alchohol companies are really shaking in their boots
I like how every time they mention Floyd they make sure to emphasize she's a Bernie Sanders supporter. She is the shining example of a true Millennial
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Wait, so are millennials like, the actual best generation? It has its nuisances and quirks, but works hard and recognizes the need not to self-medicate when in distress?

Nowadays young peoples self-medicate only for shits 'n' giggles, dropping the notion of -medicate from the self concept processes. Have to keep a clear mind when trying to destroy kepetaleesm, the patriarchy, and semi-consciously lay the foundations for a crypto-Zionist world government.
I don't know about these fuckers but I'm drinking tequila and beer tonight.

On the real tho, I feel like the term Millenial is being continuously expanded to include any age the old people don't like and any time any tiny subset of people under 40 do something quirky it gets labelled as the new "Millenial craze"
These same stories were around 20 years ago when I was in high school.
You'd see the random news story ever few weeks about abstinence clubs and purity rings. Because *this* generation is special
Quote by EyeNon15
These same stories were around 20 years ago when I was in high school.
You'd see the random news story ever few weeks about abstinence clubs and purity rings. Because *this* generation is special

people born in 1980 are technically millennials
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well im in my 30s and of course did loads of pub crawls in my youth, but it is a pretty arbitrary thing drinking expensive liquid to make you act like a twat then make you feel shit the next day.
real talk bread are you like 50 cuz it feels like 90% of what you read are snarky internet articles about how young people suck. tbh if i add up all of your posts, i've seen you bitch about this more (ironically or unironically, genuinely or 'oh i dont really care about this but i do it all the time', i cant even tell anymore) than my parents and both my grandparents combined.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
New York, the world capital of fucking stupid bullshit.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
jeez millennials are fucking lame

this is why we should bring back national service
Any time I read anything about people NOT drinking, it puts me in mind of a good drink. Not because I think im superior in any way, but just because I hate everybody.
I follow the guardian on facebook, your past 5 or whatever threads are not new to me
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I actually stopped drinking a couple months ago 👍👌👌💯🔥
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by JamSessionFreak at #33937856
real talk bread are you like 50 cuz it feels like 90% of what you read are snarky internet articles about how young people suck. tbh if i add up all of your posts, i've seen you bitch about this more (ironically or unironically, genuinely or 'oh i dont really care about this but i do it all the time', i cant even tell anymore) than my parents and both my grandparents combined.

What kind of bread is he?
This is nice, I stopped drinking recently and it's been hard for me to find social groups that don't revolve around drinking. I mean I don't think I would do a juice crawl because that sounds expensive and not fun for me and I didn't stop drinking for spiritual or addiction reasons but the more options the merrier.
cat
You don't need to be monged to enjoy a rave. Why not just go to a regular rave and not pop any pills. Some people...
Quote by beadhangingOne
Technically I'm a millenial but I identify as a member of the Silent Generation. Goddamn kids these days, I remember when men were men!

Hear here!

Why would you give up drugs and alcohol tho

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by seanlang01
Hear here!

Cos the skirt you're chasing loves juice obviously...
Quote by seanlang01
Hear here!

It clears the mind and soul.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Rebel Scum
Cos the skirt you're chasing loves juice obviously...

most 5 year olds do
Quote by JamSessionFreak

That's the lamest shit ever.

What's next? UFC fights with fucking sock'em boppers and helmets? Manditory training wheels on motorcycles?

Millennials are the worst.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by bradulator

this doesn't make it better ok

also i dont know why you lot are bothered by this, people not drinking is nothing new and if they don't give you shit for drinking there's absolutely no reason you should be bothered

plus juice is fucking great

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Apr 22, 2016,
Page 1 of 2