Quote by dthmtl3
Which of his songs feature some good guitar playing?

This isn't his, but he does pretty damn good in it.
Thanks to forsaknazrael for pointing this one out to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Edit:
Damnit lppon.
Oh well, double your pleasure, double your fun.

Edit2:
And damn, Jeff Lynne's voice never fails to maze me.

Edit3:
And damn, you can see so much of George in Dhani's face.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 22, 2016,
Quote by dthmtl3

Dig some of the rhythm guitar tracks that he laid down on his self-titled album. The first 3 songs have some good stuff. A lot of his hits have great guitar (1999 comes to mind). Plus, the guitar on Controversy. I'm pretty sure a lot of that was just a tele direct into the board (not positive). Prince was all-around brilliant, but man was he a funky rhythm guitarist...
Ben
"Let's Go Crazy" has a nifty solo and a smoking outro.
http://www.videoscache.com/prince-and-the-revolution-lets-go-crazy-video-lyrics/817/

The studio version of "Purple Rain" goes from emotive to burning over the course of its 7+ minutes. Here's a live performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8BMm6Jn6oU&sns=em

Then there's the aspect of his career that a lot of people forget about- he was a multi instrumentalist, and often played most or all of the parts on his albums. What bands you see in the videos and on tour were hired to play his stuff...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 22, 2016,
Quote by dthmtl3

I am a rocker/metal-head, but still I consider his Purple Rain to be one of the very best guitar ballads of all times. This live performance is giving me the goosebumps, whatever cynical bastard I claim to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCS_iKITCY
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 24, 2016,
Quote by dthmtl3

Little known bit: Prince was, at one time, a Jimi Hendrix cover. He could play some amazing guitar, and you'd really experience that if you ever saw him live in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) area. He was also a pretty good musician on other instruments, but had no interest in hiding behind a set of keyboards, etc., in a live band situation.
I remember the last few years he was touring with an all girl band, some decent rock and funk tunes but honestly I always thought he was a bit overrated. Had all my friends tell me how great he was and I spent countless hours listening and watching Prince material and I couldn't get why...he was no Joe Satriani or Yngwie...and at that point I was holding these guys as my measuring stick not some mediocre pop talent. I guess in comparison to pop talent he was truly great. He came out in the age of Milli Vannili.
Back in 1981, Prince was one of the opening acts for The Rolling Stones at the Los Angeles Coliseum.
Along with George Thorogood And the Delaware Destroyers and The J. Geils band.
Was an awesome show.
I know there are probably several people on this board that have seen video footage of Keef swinging his Telecaster at some guys head that jumped up on stage.
I dunno where else that occurred, but I can tell you without a doubt, I saw it happen that day in Los Angeles.

To get back on topic....
Prince was having a very god set (IMO), when he started playing a song from the album Controversy, called "Jack U Off".
Prince repeating the words "I'll Jack U Off" over and over again, did not go over so well with a stadium overflowing with Testosterone.
People were throwing whatever they could find at him, forcing him to end his set early.
But he made an impression on me even back then.

He was sooooo underrated as a guitarist. (See videos above).
Quote by diabolical
I remember the last few years he was touring with an all girl band, some decent rock and funk tunes but honestly I always thought he was a bit overrated. Had all my friends tell me how great he was and I spent countless hours listening and watching Prince material and I couldn't get why...he was no Joe Satriani or Yngwie...and at that point I was holding these guys as my measuring stick not some mediocre pop talent. I guess in comparison to pop talent he was truly great. He came out in the age of Milli Vannili.

I don't think I would measure him on pure technical ability. I mean, he's a pretty fast player and he throws in some funky scales, but really what I like about his playing it the emotion.

He reminds me a lot of Hendrix, but definitely with more pop sensibility.

Satriani is a monster, no doubt, but I have never been a huge fan. I feel he's at his best when he is hitting it full-shred mode, and I just don't really dig on that. Yngwie is pretty much the same thing but frankly I don't like him at ALL.

Still, I think you are at least right in the sense that people tend to give Prince more credit because he was a pop artist who could play some sweet licks. I doubt people would give him as much attention if he was just some regular rock guitar player.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by diabolical

Maybe they could out-shred him, but he knew when to stop.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by diabolical

The problem is....both those guys suck...

Not as regards technical ability of course, but I went to a Satriani concert and fell asleep about halfway through and Malmsteen has always left me cold. Both are monster players to be sure, but I know who I'd rather listen to.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Fumble fingers
according to the Mesa Facebook page Prince used 2c++

He probably would have gotten better tone out of C11, maybe even Perl or Java...
Charles Darwin
Quote by diabolical

First time I heard Satriani was when some guy brought in one of his CDs to work.
I dunno which one it was.
He started to play it, first track, and I thought to myself "Hey that sounds pretty good".
2nd track in, I thought, "That sounds cool too".
3rd track is playing and I'm thinking, "Is this the first song playing again?".
It was like I didn't feel as though there was a whole lot of variety in his songwriting abilities.
Technical skills? Yeah he's loaded with them.
Emotion? Not really much there IMO.

Yngwie?
I bought his "Rising Force" album way back in the day.
Was very impressed with it and I still am.
"Black Star" And "Now Your Ships Are Burned" I felt really stood out on that album.
Anything else from him really didn't do much for me.
To me guys like Yngwie and Satriani, track one sounds the same as tracks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.
Vai, his "For The Love Of God" to me was a masterpiece.

Prince on the other hand, his stuff was all over the map for me.
And it was good.
I didn't like all of it, but then again, all you guys know what I think of Rush and I don't like all their stuff either.

Plus I've seen Prince live and my sister never did.
That's one thing I can hold over her head and go "nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah"
(Well, I really wouldn't do that, shes my angel, but what older brother hasn't teased their younger sister at least once? ).
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Maybe they could out-shred him, but he knew when to stop.

+1
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Arby911
The problem is....both those guys suck...

Not as regards technical ability of course, but I went to a Satriani concert and fell asleep about halfway through and Malmsteen has always left me cold. Both are monster players to be sure, but I know who I'd rather listen to.

You're crazy. I went to a Satriani concert when I was 15 ish, and I was enthralled the entire time. Granted, his latest album at the time was Is There Love in Space?, but still. It was great.

But yeah, Prince had great tone
My God, it's full of stars!
Little known fact: Prince had a jazz band called Madhouse that released 2 albums, and which has 2 other albums as yet unreleased.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Dreadnought
You're crazy. I went to a Satriani concert when I was 15 ish, and I was enthralled the entire time. Granted, his latest album at the time was Is There Love in Space?, but still. It was great.

But yeah, Prince had great tone

You were 15...you were still enthralled by the concept that another person might one day touch your penis and that you would get to drive next year, and in about equal amounts. You were excited about everything!
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 23, 2016,
There is plenty of room in my heart for Prince, Satch, Vai and YJM, and others as well.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There is plenty of room in my heart for Prince, Satch, Vai and YJM, and others as well.

Yup, they all do (or did) their thing and they did it well. No need to argue who was better really.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Arby911
You were 15...you were still enthralled by the concept that another person might one day touch your penis and that you would get to drive next year, and in about equal amounts. You were excited about everything!

Someone (a girl, thankyouverymuch) had already touched my penis, and I was driving for work.

What else ya got, old man
Quote by Dreadnought
Someone (a girl, thankyouverymuch) had already touched my penis, and I was driving for work.

What else ya got, old man

Physicians assistants and golf carts don't count. Now fetch me my 9 iron.
Charles Darwin
Everybody stfu before I get Chyna over here. She'll settle this dispute (in more ways than one)
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Everybody stfu before I get Chyna over here. She'll settle this dispute (in more ways than one)

But she is kill.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Arby911
Physicians assistants and golf carts don't count. Now fetch me my 9 iron.

You dirtbag
Quote by Dreadnought
You dirtbag

Charles Darwin