Hey guys, I am self taught and thought that I had good technique until I started to pay attention to how the people I play with bend their notes, so today I decided to record myself playing and was amazed that I almost exclusively bent with my fingers and not my wrist! Bending has always been a struggle for me, but I figured that was just part of playing guitar. So for the past hour after watching a few youtube tutorials I have been practicing bending with my wrist and not my fingers. Could you please watch my minute long video and tell me if it looks like I'm doing it right? Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--n6m5PDma8
Your bending looks okay, and sounds decently in tune for the most part. But you should put a bit of work into your muting.

With that said, bending from your fingers is a bad habit, but some people can still make it work. Like Chris Poland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qua_N3O03CI
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
There is no 'right way' to bend to be honest, bending is very much a core element to a persons individual 'sound'. Now naturally there are more efficient ways to bend than others, and there are some techniques that offer greater precision, but ultimately you want to forge your own bend sound. Bends and vibrato are often overlooked in regards to building a players unique style these days, don't be afraid to experiment.

Here's a masterclass on bending by the incredible Guthrie Govan, he can make even the most seasoned of veterans listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tELIgr96WcM
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Anthony, I disagree here. There is a right way to do this that minimises the amount of effort involved, by employing the larger muscle groups. This is especially important for people with weak fingers, and reduces fatigue.

Name of the game.
1/ other than bends with 1st finger, back up the fretting finger (e.g 3rd) with adjacent finger (e.g. 2nd) in or as near to the same fret.
2/ pivot on low edge of 1st finger against neck, with fingers locked.
3/ squeeze (or pull down). With squeeze bring thumb toward fretting finger.
4/ turn wrist also.

Only effort in finger tips is holding them locked in place.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Anthony, I disagree here. There is a right way to do this that minimises the amount of effort involved, by employing the larger muscle groups. This is especially important for people with weak fingers, and reduces fatigue.

Name of the game.
1/ other than bends with 1st finger, back up the fretting finger (e.g 3rd) with adjacent finger (e.g. 2nd) in or as near to the same fret.
2/ pivot on low edge of 1st finger against neck, with fingers locked.
3/ squeeze (or pull down). With squeeze bring thumb toward fretting finger.
4/ turn wrist also.

Only effort in finger tips is holding them locked in place.

There are multiple ways to bend that use the correct muscle groups. Steve Vai has a really strange way of doing it by moving his entire forearm, I doubt anyone would say 'he's doing it wrong'.

The main thing with bends is that it's more about expression than technical correctness, that's kind of the point of bends and vibrato
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.