Ok so I'm getting back into the swing of things with guitar and bass and I haven't been too heavy into bass in the past. So I have no idea if it's good technique or not to rest my thumb on my plucking hand against the E string. Is this ok? Does anyone have any recommendations or reasons why this is bad or another technique is better? Any links to stuff I can read/watch on the topic? Also should my hand be situated around the pickup or the bridge?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by ZombieTurtle2 at Apr 23, 2016,
It's all personal preference. as long as you don't feel unusual pain in your hand after an hour's worth of practice you're fine. Personally, i put my thumb on the E string when im plucking the A D G strings and on the pickup when plucking the E string.
i rest my thumb on the pickup when playing E string, rest it on the E string when playing A, rest on A string when playing D, and so on and so forth. But practice whatever works for you.
Quote by WibbleWobble
i rest my thumb on the pickup when playing E string, rest it on the E string when playing A, rest on A string when playing D, and so on and so forth. But practice whatever works for you.

Same for me, and good advice. Resting your thumb on the string below where you are currently playing (also known as "floating thumb") is also good for muting the strings that you don't want to ring.