Heya guys. I am curious if you can give me some tips on getting that kinda echo/reverb sound (or what ever it is) that Neil Young gets on his Le Noise album. I know he has his famous amp/ old black etc but I just love how every thing just hangs there with that sweet distortion and am curious what effects he might be using.

Heres a link to his work on the album if your not familiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5B53b9ntQ

Cheers
You do realise that he uses two amps, no? An old Magnavox cranked right up through a rheostat to provide a load and attenuation which then drives the input of an old Deluxe. Or so the story goes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 23, 2016,
yeah their is alot of effects going on though out the album. I am not after tips on getting the neil young sound in general just curious what effec ts he might have used on the Le Noise album that I can get a bit close with.
Young has a hell of a unique rig.

"Though he has hundreds of other Fender Deluxe amps from the same era, he insists that none of them sounds like this one. It is a 15 watt tone machine with just two volume knobs and a shared tone control. He uses no distortion effects, instead relying on the natural overdriven sound of the amp in various volume tone configurations. To that end, he relies on a custom designed switching system called the Whizzer, which mechanically adjusts the knobs to his preprogrammed positions.

Though he relies on his amp’s natural overdrive, Neil Young does use several affect pedals. An original Maestro EP-4 Echoplex unit, an MXR M-118 Analog Delay pedal, A 1969 era Boss Flanger, A Mu-Tron Octave Divider with the “Bass Only” set to the On position and the “Ringer” set to the Off position, an Alesis Microverb set to 7, A collection of Strobe-O-Tuners for the post Bigsby retuning and specially redesigned Fender Reverb Unit. Each of his his effects pedals a controlled using a remote switching system with four strictly programmed settings for the Whizzer, and four loops for independently use of the Echoplex, Octave Divider/MXR combination, MicroVerb, and Boss Flanger effects.
The Catalinbread Belle Epoch will help with the Maestro Echoplex tone:

http://www.catalinbread.com/product/belle-epoch/

And the Salvation Audio Vivider is one of the Mu-Tron substitutes out there:

http://salvationaudio.com/index.php?page=vivider
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 23, 2016,
I have several Neil Young cds and just went and listened to sample from LeNoise and I don't think he used anything different than he has used for decades. To say Neil Young uses vintage gear is an understatement, it what he's used forever. Guitar Player Magazine had a killer artical on his gear a few years back and it discussed photoed everything and talked about the last time he made a change on a piece of gear. You won't buy vintage gear and with that in mind I would look at the effects he uses and get modern gear that does that job and state EQing it until I found it.
thanks guys so what Im after is not "what does neil young play" I wanna know what I need to try get a similar sound to the album. The distortion thats kinda echo like etc. What pedals do you think will get a sound like that. Seems like a reverb, delay? Im not 100 sure
His reverb is an old Fender spring reverb.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification