Playing at TV volume would an amp significantly sound better with different speaker configuration?

1x12
1x15
2x12
4x12
Quote by guitarboyled
Playing at TV volume would an amp significantly sound better with different speaker configuration?

1x12
1x15
2x12
4x12

None of the above.

Honestly, for TV volumes, I'd suggest a pair of powered recording monitors designed for near field use. I'm using a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. Each speaker has about 100W (two separate amps per speaker with one 80W powering an 8" LF driver, and a 20W powering a tweeter). For a reasonably sized room, these provide very deep bottom end (most will go down to 40Hz or so with seriously good volume) well beyond that of ordinary guitar speakers, and high frequency reproduction well above your usual guitar amp speaker. And if you need even more punch at the bottom end, there are subwoofers...

Whether you're using a new modeler or one of the older tube preamps, I think that the monitors do a much better job than a standard guitar speaker.
Quote by dspellman
None of the above.

Honestly, for TV volumes, I'd suggest a pair of powered recording monitors designed for near field use. I'm using a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. Each speaker has about 100W (two separate amps per speaker with one 80W powering an 8" LF driver, and a 20W powering a tweeter). For a reasonably sized room, these provide very deep bottom end (most will go down to 40Hz or so with seriously good volume) well beyond that of ordinary guitar speakers, and high frequency reproduction well above your usual guitar amp speaker. And if you need even more punch at the bottom end, there are subwoofers...

Whether you're using a new modeler or one of the older tube preamps, I think that the monitors do a much better job than a standard guitar speaker.

+1
My configuration: 2 x KRK VXT6, 1 x KRK 12S sub
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Well, yes and no. My gear is not expensive and I don't play out anymore but I have run a few different setups. Currently I'm running a Crate 120 with 2x12's to a Crate cab 4x12 unstacked. I sit them like a stereo set up on each side of the room and so it gives that vibe. Thick and surrounding. Stacked it's just 6 speakers in your face.

I have run the Crate with a Line 6, 75 watt, with a 12 inch speaker split the same way through a delay pedal. I run the Line 6 clean and distort both amp from my pedal board. This has one amp run with delay and one amp without delay and they ping pong off each other and that's a cool effect too and again, it's surrounding and not just a frontal assault.

I've never used a 1x15 cab.
Quote by guitarboyled

1x12
1x15
2x12
4x12

It depends what speakers are inside. A lot of people tend to run 4x12s etc in a lower power mode, meaning that they can 'drive' the amp more getting a specific tone they want.

Technically 4x12s move the most air and will sound 'fuller' than the others, but than that's what quantity will do. There isn't really a 'sound better' since it's all individual
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.