So, I'm new to this forum. If this shouldn't be posted here please move it. UG has a great community so I thought I'd join in. This is my first post so... sorry in advance if it's not following standards This post may take a while to get to the question but bare with me...

I'm a believer in music. Everywhere I go, my headphones are plugged in. My search history is clogged with por... I mean.. band updates from my favorite bands and I have to say music is pretty much my passion. I'm not sure if you've ever seen a film called spike island, but if you haven't its basically a film about a group of British lads about my age (16) whom are massive fans of The Stone Roses and have their own band, they eventually get to go and see their idols live. It's very British, very 80's and very music based. Now I found this film really really inspiring personally. I'm a British teen myself.. so it was also relate-able. It made me realize.. I am kind of like those guys. They have a dream of becoming successful musicians and music is their passion. It really is. Now, I'm the sort of person who is really optimistic about my future.. I do dream. I believe anything could happen. I'm not sure if any of you share the same love as me, but my idols are Catfish and The Bottlemen. They're to me like the Stone Roses were to the lads in that film. I want to be like them. Not a copycat.. but like them. I want to be touring the country and other countries doing what I love. Meeting people. All of it. I've been playing the guitar for years and singing for a while. I have plans for making a band with a few mates at school too.

Now for the reason I'm here. I want to hear from you guys. I'm gonna assume most of you are older and probably in the music industry somehow. I just wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction. Maybe offer advice? What should an inspired 16 year old lad do if he wants to live his life in the music world? I want to hear stories too. If you're in the biz what's it like? Anything is appreciated. Thanks for your time! Just ask me if you want to personally contact me!
The first thing I'd look towards is picking a point you want to attain, figuring out how to get there on paper, and setting realistic goals for yourself.

Framing this up quickly :

Personal Practice->duo-> duo practice->open mic performance ->band->band practice->open mic performance->more practice->first gig -> first gig at a new place-> regular rotation at a venue-> etc.

From there - Identify what you need to do as a person, and what you need from other people to get you there.

During your personal practice phase, what do you practice? How are you measuring yourself? How is your time being funded? How are each of these elements contributing to the next step? How does this contribute to steps 3 and 4 steps from the next step?

Currently - I'm looking at meeting back up with an old friend and trying to pull something band-like together. Our goal is to play out 1-2 nights per weekend, 1-2 weekends per month. I went out to pubs where live music is being played and started asking questions about what people want to hear, what they like to hear, and what they don't like about the band that's playing.

My guitar buddy/singer is a big fan of the more obscure and artsy pieces. Call it, "Artpop" for now. Artpop isn't what people at a rock-friendly pub are looking to hear. Odds of us getting rock-friendly bookings without a rock-based playlist are small. If we want to play that pub, we should be aligning our personal practice sessions with rock songs. And - that's not happening. We're going through Artpop songs catalogs trying to find something that checks all the boxes for both he and I, and I'm realizing that we're misaligned. We'll have to see what happens.

At the end of the day - spend your time doing what you enjoy doing. Dedicate as much time as you can to the cause, but always have a way to fund your ventures or hobbies. There's nothing certain about careers in the music world. The biggest venue you play might be getting 15 people in your parent's basement. Don't get discouraged, but always keep your options open and your goals realistic.
Hey there!

I LOVE Catfish and the Bottlemen!! I just discovered them last year and they've become one of my favorite bands.

I'm a lot like you - I'm just breaking into the industry. I really recommend checking out the Tom Hess Music Careers Mentorship Program. I'm currently in the program and it's already helped me learn so much about the business... it's definitely worth looking into if you are serious about pursuing music as a professional career.
17 year old singer/songwriter from San Diego, California