As a clean boost for metal they're both, being essentially the same circuit, going to sound pretty much exactly the same. I'd pick the Maxon for the price (assuming it's cheaper where you are) and the more reliable switch.

I would, however, also consider stuff like the Seymour Duncan 805 and the Way Huge Green Rhino for their more extensive EQ possibilities.
Timmy?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by moses132049
i tried both of these out at guitar center, comparing also with a seymour duncan 805 and a fulltone ocd. i went with the ocd

I don't like the ocd for a boost. At all. But different strokes for different folks.

I would look into a fulldrive 2 mosfet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Timmy?

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As a clean boost for metal they're both, being essentially the same circuit, going to sound pretty much exactly the same. I'd pick the Maxon for the price (assuming it's cheaper where you are) and the more reliable switch.

I would, however, also consider stuff like the Seymour Duncan 805 and the Way Huge Green Rhino for their more extensive EQ possibilities.

This. I cannot overstress the advantages of having an OD pedal with more control over EQ (like the SD 805 and Green Rhino have). The traditional "green box" design is what it is -- they pretty much all sound the same when used as a clean boost; they cut some lows and have a mid hump, with pretty smooth clipping. But when you move up to an OD pedal with some control over the bass cut it becomes a lot more interesting and versatile; allowing you to tailor your tone for different guitars, pickups, etc.

I had a TS-9 for a long time -- it was a nice pedal. But then I bought an MXR M77 Custom Badass OD which has a 100hz knob (bass) as well as a high knob. Depending on the guitar and amp I'm using, I can really fine-tune what tone I get. On one of my guitars, I find that cutting even more bass than what the pedal does in a neutral setting allows me to use a little more bass on the amp's EQ which yields a MASSIVE tone that is not muddy or woofy and remains very tight and responsive.
Quote by KailM
This. I cannot overstress the advantages of having an OD pedal with more control over EQ (like the SD 805 and Green Rhino have). The traditional "green box" design is what it is -- they pretty much all sound the same when used as a clean boost; they cut some lows and have a mid hump, with pretty smooth clipping. But when you move up to an OD pedal with some control over the bass cut it becomes a lot more interesting and versatile; allowing you to tailor your tone for different guitars, pickups, etc.

I had a TS-9 for a long time -- it was a nice pedal. But then I bought an MXR M77 Custom Badass OD which has a 100hz knob (bass) as well as a high knob. Depending on the guitar and amp I'm using, I can really fine-tune what tone I get. On one of my guitars, I find that cutting even more bass than what the pedal does in a neutral setting allows me to use a little more bass on the amp's EQ which yields a MASSIVE tone that is not muddy or woofy and remains very tight and responsive.

gotta agree on getting a TS style pedal with more tonal options. personally i use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 (though sadly they aren't being made any more). as for the TS-9 vs Maxon the only difference is the quality of parts used and even then not much of a difference really (chinese vs japanese made other diff)
If you plan on never turning it off (I know I would just as soon leave my TS-10 on for the next 10 years (also, I bought the TS-10 because I like the box)) I mean, you would probably be just as happy with a Bad Monkey. It has kind of a shitty bypass, so it sucks tone a little turned off, but it's a TS with an added bass control for <$40...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2
Visual Sound Double Trouble V2
T-Rex MAB Overdrive
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 24, 2016,
I use an 805, and can't go back to limited EQ-type pedals anymore. 3 band active EQ is really great for metal.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
+1 on the Ibanez TS-10 as mentioned by DeathByDestoyr. I have a pretty good collection of Ibanez TS pedals. I have the original TS-9, re-issue TS-9, Two TS-10 one modified by Robert Keeley to 808 spec, TS-7 Tone Loc, TS-5, and a Super Tube (late 1984 TS-9). I think the best of the bunch was the TS-10 and I'm pleased to hear someone else mention it. I have used the TS-10 since about 1986. I bought a 2nd one on EBay and sent it Robert Keeley about 15 years ago and had it modified to 808 standard. I still like the non-modded original TS-10 the best.

I can also recommend the Bad Monkey. For the money it's a nice TS like sound.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 25, 2016,
Quote by Rickholly74
+1 on the Ibanez TS-10 as mentioned by DeathByDestoyr. I have a pretty good collection of Ibanez TS pedals. I have the original TS-9, re-issue TS-9, Two TS-10 one modified by Robert Keeley to 808 spec, TS-7 Tone Loc, TS-5, and a Super Tube (late 1984 TS-9). I think the best of the bunch was the TS-10 and I'm pleased to hear someone else mention it. I have used the TS-10 since about 1986. I bought a 2nd one on EBay and sent it Robert Keeley about 15 years ago and had it modified to 808 standard. I still like the non-modded original TS-10 the best.

I can also recommend the Bad Monkey. For the money it's a nice TS like sound.

What did you pay to have that done?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It was a lot of years ago and I think it was $50. I remember having a slow dial up internet and it took a long time to download a form that I needed to accompany the pedal when I sent it Keeley. I wonder what he charges now? Frankly I wish I didn't do it. Keely did a great job but TS-10 are getting hard to find at a decent price now and the TS-808 has been re-issued. Frankly there is not a huge difference except in tone. The TS-808 is a little darker tone and the TS-10 has a little high mid bump and a touch smoother gain. A little EQ can make them sound almost identical.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
It was a lot of years ago and I think it was $50. I remember having a slow dial up internet and it took a long time to download a form that I needed to accompany the pedal when I sent it Keeley. I wonder what he charges now? Frankly I wish I didn't do it. Keely did a great job but TS-10 are getting hard to find at a decent price now and the TS-808 has been re-issued. Frankly there is not a huge difference except in tone. The TS-808 is a little darker tone and the TS-10 has a little high mid bump and a touch smoother gain. A little EQ can make them sound almost identical.

Yeah, I was just curious because it's a 20 minute job, maybe less if you've done several of them.

Should be easy enough to reverse.

3 resistors, a buffer transistor and a little rewiring IIRC.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2
Visual Sound Double Trouble V2
T-Rex MAB Overdrive

Double Trouble is incredible. It is even a good standalone gain for a clean channel as well.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."