Hey dudes, so I just need a portable, clean amp as I'm studying Jazz at Uni right now.

My AC30 is impractical to take to gigs right now so do you guys have any recommendations on a small, somewhat versatile and inexpensive clean amp to purchase? When I say versatile I mean I'll be gigging jazz, funk, world music, styles with it - if anything there might be a tiny bit of overdrive for funk sometimes but clean really is most of it.

Budget - Really would prefer as far under $350 cause I'm a poor student in Australia.

Found a Roland cube 60 (discontinued) for $220. Roland cube 80 the current one is $600 RRP and I found one for around $450-500 .. is the 80 that much more worth it? Any other options?

Cheers
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Roland Cube is a good choice. Cube 20X was my first guitar amp and the cleans were very nice, they are based on the legendary Roland Jazz Chorus 120 (JC-120). You just have to look for a Cube that has the clean mode called "JC Clean" - not sure if all the Cubes have it.

Cubes are also used by top gigging artists, I have even seen one in the live rig of Adam Jones from Tool.

And they are also very reliable and sturdy, like a tank. Get one, you won´t regret.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Roland is an excellent SS option. Also consider Quilter and Carvin SS amps.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Grab that Cube 60 for $220. Good little amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys for the heads up. Is it worth investing a couple hundred for the Cube 80? Or is it just worth to go for the 60?

Cheers
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
How bout one of those lil, massive watt, ZT Club amps? If they're available down under.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Volcz
Thanks guys for the heads up. Is it worth investing a couple hundred for the Cube 80? Or is it just worth to go for the 60?

Cheers

That old Cube 60 is built like a tank and a lot of jazz players used them. If it was well taken care of it is a slam dunk.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Get the Roland Cube - the Peavey Bandit is obsolete and certainly not versatile. the Cube sounds great for the price.
Alright sweet thanks guys! And just to make sure, we are talking about the modern Roland Cube 60's? Not those old orange vintage ones.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by Volcz
Alright sweet thanks guys! And just to make sure, we are talking about the modern Roland Cube 60's? Not those old orange vintage ones.

Both are solid amps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY