I have squier bullet strat with marhsall mg15cf and have been playing it for 2 years. I have heard jimi hendrix and john frusciante sound on youtube and want to get the same sound I hear.

Is it a good idea to replace my pickups and go for fender custom shop 69/72 or get seymour duncan ssl-1's or even get a zoom g1xon or some mutli effects pedal for tone and sound.

I cannot buy new guitar because of low budget but I can buy either new pickups or multi effects pedal.
Pickups are generally the last thing you want to change in your rig. They're a refinement once you have everything else where you want it. Don't change them simply because they're the one thing you can easily afford.

The biggest sound change will be the amp or modeler/multiFX you use.
Quote by siddharth030
I have squier bullet strat with marhsall mg15cf and have been playing it for 2 years. I have heard jimi hendrix and john frusciante sound on youtube and want to get the same sound I hear.

Is it a good idea to replace my pickups and go for fender custom shop 69/72 or get seymour duncan ssl-1's or even get a zoom g1xon or some mutli effects pedal for tone and sound.

I cannot buy new guitar because of low budget but I can buy either new pickups or multi effects pedal.

sorry to say but you aren't gonna get hendrix or frusciante tone out of you current setup regardless of pickups. not trying to rain on your parade just don't want you to waste your money. consider this- john frusciante's pedal board cost more than your whole current setup and we haven't even considered his guitars and amps yet. it's just not realistic to expect to get his tone that cheaply. as for jimi you'd need a fuzz pedal for starters to really even begin to get his tone.

i have a nice strat, tube amps and a bunch of fx pedals plus 35+ years of playing and i can't nail many of those tones either. it's just not as easy as getting a pedal or new pickups. granted i can can at least get in the ballpark.

save your money and get a better guitar and most important better amp. then worry about the rest. you also need to learn to work with your gear and have an ear for getting tones (this only works if the gear is up to the task)
Marshall MG series are not good amps, you'll find that most everyone here will agree, you will be better off saving some more money and purchasing a Peavey Vyper modelling amp, if you have to have new it will take longer to save but depending on your location you may be able to get used Vyper that will be more affordable.

When posting a thread such as this it is best to provide:

Budget

Genres/styles of music you will be playing: you touched on this

Your current gear: which you have provided

Your location: this will help us know what your otions/sources as well as pricing might be.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Changing pickups will absolutely change the sound of your guitar. It might not be the first thing I would change, but being that you have a limited budget, I would refrain from replacing all 3. Change the neck pickup, as those are the keys to the sounds you like.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
Changing pickups will absolutely change the sound of your guitar. It might not be the first thing I would change, but being that you have a limited budget, I would refrain from replacing all 3. Change the neck pickup, as those are the keys to the sounds you like.

that's way to simplistic of an answer. changing pickups may change your guitars sound but not always. it would totally depend on what you had to begin with and what you put into the guitar. the next thing is the amp has to be able to "see" the difference and i assure you that a Marshall MG 10 won't. no point in telling this guy to change pickups when he has a far bigger problem. a better amp will give him far better results than a pickup change.
Amp then guitar if needed then pickups if really necessary just to polish up the tone a little.You need to get into the right ballpark first and pickups alone won't do that.