I've been playing for quite awhile now, and I'm alright. The whole time I've played guitar though, I feel like I can only play well with one of my guitars in my hands. When i try to play other peoples guitars that I'm not use to playing, I seriously can't play well at all.

Does anyone else experience this?
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
You're just used to yours, and it's regarding a hobby with fine finger dexterity. It's normal to have difficulties in the switch. Eventually you'll get good enough where it doesn't matter what guitar you're playing on to sound like yourself. Just requires practice.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Once you start playing on more guitars, that feeling goes away. I mean, you might feel uncomfy initially but you get used to it. I go from teles to LPs to RRs all the time and after a couple of minutes I'm not really fumbling around anymore.

You should post this in the guitar subforums though. This is more for general discussion.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I much prefer my Cargo to anything else I own, it gets 99% of my hands time. I play much better on it (because of it's perfect low action, narrow neck, lack of a heel).
Last edited by TobusRex at Apr 24, 2016,
I can play most guitars except one of my own, the acoustic I inherited is a pain to play because it's neck is so massive

Quote by mattedbird
I have this problem in pawn shops. some of those basses are set up like some shit

Basses however I have to find the right neck and pickup arrangements to feel comfortable playing
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Apr 24, 2016,
Depends somewhat on the setup. Anything Fenderish I can get pretty comfortable with pretty fast; tiny necks, enormous frets and ultra-slinky strings will all throw me off somewhat (though still be manageable), and big wide necks will mess with that thumb I love to use so much.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Apr 24, 2016,
Quote by Pastafarian96

Basses however I have to find the right neck and pickup arrangements to feel comfortable playing

yeah, even different strings (tension) than you're used to can make a huge diff

but this is more about just picking it up to test it out. you can get used to that after a little time
Last edited by mattedbird at Apr 24, 2016,
You might not be used to someone else's setup but you really should be able to play them.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
I do for 10 or 15 minutes and then feel better. I think its a mixture of a different feel and arrangement, and for me atleast, thats usually when Im in front of people Im not familiar with and as a result a little more nervous.

Short answer: Yes, but it passes quickly.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
It depends on the guitar. Sometimes a guitar starts off a little more difficult because I'm not used to it, and then it becomes easier than what I was used to.
Not really, but I have a fair variety of guitars of my own, with a fair variety of neck sizes and shapes.

I'm equally mediocre on them all.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I've got a pretty decently diverse range of guitars, so no. It's something that goes with experience.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Not really, but I have a fair variety of guitars of my own, with a fair variety of neck sizes and shapes.

I'm equally mediocre on them all.

Yeah, but you kick ass on the pipes
Quote by TobusRex
Yeah, but you kick ass on the pipes

I don't play the pipes, I just mime to a recording of me fucking a housecat.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
in my case it's mostly because any other guitar i play is from friends who don't put any effort or just don't know about general guitar maintenance and set-up, etc. So it's usually a case of a guitar completely covered in dirt and the strings are rusted to hell, as well as the action either being ungodly high, or so low it just frets out or has little to no sustain.

I can mostly play comfortably with most guitars if their maintained and set-up.
I used to find it easy to transfer between guitars but then I really started developing my own style and that was really telecaster based and hard to transfer. But then with each new guitar you work out how to do 'your thing' on it. Then I guess once you've done that on loads it's just second nature. It certainly took me a while to adjust after my tele neck snapped and I bought a LTD Goldtop les paul type thing. It's such a modern feeling guitar I could only play perfect on it and that pissed me off. But I learnt how to make it sound more scratchy. Now I've got a new neck for my tele, which is sliiiightly different to the old neck. I think it may be higher quality. But fuck does it feel good to play one again.
can I play yours?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Any guitar is fair game. For me, I can only play guitar in my way, and if someone else tries my guitar out it sounds like a totally foreign and different guitar. Just that funny thing about music I guess
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I usually gotta disembowel the electronics multiple times to properly enjoy a guitar anymore.
I should have said earlier... I rented a Gibson Les Paul Traditional once cause I needed a reliable guitar to play my buddy's wedding and I took to it immediately, I rented it for a week and kept it 2 months
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You