Is it just on my squier or something, but I noticed them getting kind of loose so I tried tightening them but I can't, i can wind on for forever, and get no progress. I can just lift up the pickguard without even trying. Are the screws fucked up or something else?
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
The holes for the screws are stripped.

Put a piece of a toothpick with a little bit of glue in the holes and try again.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
^wood glue doesn't stick to metals.

I've always wondered if you could fill it with sawdust and glue, then screw into it. It's a common filling method but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough over time.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
wait, so I literally just have to dump some glue and a piece of a toothpick in the hole and that's it? Seems kind of suspicious, but I don't know too much.
Quote by JagerSlushy
^wood glue doesn't stick to metals.

I've always wondered if you could fill it with sawdust and glue, then screw into it. It's a common filling method but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough over time.

For the pickguard that'd probably do it. Might want to have some toothpicks in there mix in too just to strengthen it up a bit more with sawdust and glue to fill the voids.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Strobber
wait, so I literally just have to dump some glue and a piece of a toothpick in the hole and that's it? Seems kind of suspicious, but I don't know too much.

Why? It's not like you are putting the screws under that great of a strain, with as many screws as are in it. Ive also used Liquid Nails to fix stripped hole before, but that was on a strap peg, wouldn't recommend it for what you are doing
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Strobber

Would I lie to you?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
hahaha, not sure, thanks for the advice guys
Quote by Tony Done
You can get by without the glue, but if you do use it, let is dry before you insert the screw.

+1 for pickplate (low stress) you should be able to use just the toothpick, if you do use glue use it sparingly and let it dry, Elmers glue or Elmers wood glue work great in small amounts.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 26, 2016,
this is a very common fix, you can use 1 or 2 toothpick and some glue... let it dry then snip it tight to the body. It is just giving something for the screws to get hold of. You can use a golf tee for larger ones like the guitar strap holes. Just ensure that you let the glue set and it will be fine. With pick guards there are numerous screws so they are so low stress it won't budge.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE at #33941143
The holes for the screws are stripped.

Put a piece of a toothpick with a little bit of glue in the holes and try again.

This sounds like a great idea, I'll keep that in mind. I stripped 2 pickguard holes on my squier before, but I ended up just finding bigger screws.
Toothpicks and a small dab of wood glue will work great. I've used it lots of times, on every kind of wood repair I've done including strap pegs and heavy ass solid wood doors. Small dab of glue on the tip, put the screw in while wet, don't worry about it again, I've never had one stick. I probably don't have a guitar without at least 2 or 3 toothpick repairs. Strap pegs on my strat were done around 10 years ago, still holding up well.

On larger stuff like doors or table and chair legs I use match sticks. I don't think I would want to count the number of times I've stuck a toothpick or match stick in a screw hole with a dab of glue...I replaced doors for a painter in central Texas for nearly a year in the mid 80's. Dozens of wobbly screw holes, I had to keep a box of matches in my tool box. Just use my knife to put a taper on it. Did remodeling in Louisiana for 10 years. Same thing. House I live in now has at last 3 or 4 screw holes filled this way in the doors, I've done at least a dozen table and chair legs, no telling how many pick guards and strap pegs...

What I do is stick a toothpick in, mark it with a pencil, cut it with a knife or wire cutters. Small dab of glue on the tip, it doesn't take much, poke it in the hole and put in the screw. Pick guard screws don't have to be real tight, stop when you feel it get snug. Same for strap pegs. Even works with hollow body guitars. Tuner screws, same thing. Virtually any screw that goes into wood. Regular white Elmer's will work, I prefer wood glue, don't use super glue. Then the screw might stick.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Apr 28, 2016,