Im studying a song and this progression happens: Bmin (B,D,F#), Dmaj (D,F#,A), C#dim (C#,E,G), F#min (F#,A,C#), C#dim(C#,E,G), Dmaj(D,F#,A)

I know that between the B minor and D major is an upward third. I can't seem to figure out the rest of the progression. Help?
What is the song you are talking about? What do you want to know about the progression? All of those chords are diatonic to D major.

Do you know about chord functions (I mean, the Roman numerals)?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What is the song you are talking about? What do you want to know about the progression? All of those chords are diatonic to D major.

Do you know about chord functions (I mean, the Roman numerals)?

I want to know how the chords are moving to each other. Chords can move in thirds, fourths, and in seconds. I know that at the start of the progression the Bmin to Dmaj moves in a third. I'm not sure how the other chords move to one another.
Quote by J23L
Im studying a song and this progression happens: Bmin (B,D,F#), Dmaj (D,F#,A), C#dim (C#,E,G), F#min (F#,A,C#), C#dim(C#,E,G), Dmaj(D,F#,A)

I know that between the B minor and D major is an upward third. I can't seem to figure out the rest of the progression. Help?

Its a vi I viio iii viio I - if it's in D

B to D is a minor 3rd away

D to C# is a maj 7 up or a min 2nd down

C# to F# is a Perfect 4th

F# to C# is a Perfect 5th

C# to a D is a min 2nd away

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Apr 24, 2016,
Quote by J23L

I haven't seen the actual voicing but if we follow the principle that the voices move as little as possible to become a note in the next chord then...

[u]Bm    D     C#dim F#m   C#dim D[/u]
F#    F#    E     F#    E     F#
D     D     C#    C#    C#    D
B     A     G     A     G     A

This isn't the only option but would be my first try.

If you're asking about root movement then that would be
B -> D (up a minor third or down a major sixth - I'm guessing the first one)
D -> C#(down a minor second or up a major seventh - again I'm guessing the first one)
C# -> F# (up a perfect fourth or down a perfect fifth - could be either)

then it seems to go in reverse and backtrack along the same line
F# -> C# (down a perfect fourth or up a perfect fifth)
C# -> D (up a minor second)

If the sequence of chords is then repeated then the D would go back to the Bm (down a minor third) and it would basically be three chord progression that is reversed.

Bm -> D -> C#dim -> F#m then go backwards back to the Bm then reverse again bouncing back and fourth between the Bm and the F#m.

I would have to hear it though. What song is it?
Si
Quote by J23L
I want to know how the chords are moving to each other. Chords can move in thirds, fourths, and in seconds. I know that at the start of the progression the Bmin to Dmaj moves in a third. I'm not sure how the other chords move to one another.

If you want to know the intervals between the chord roots, just figure it out. But voice leading is not just about figuring out the interval between the chord roots. It's about looking at how the different "voices" move. Triads have three notes in them which means we have at least three different "voices". (Look at 20T's post.)

I still don't really know what you are asking and what you are even missing. Are you asking why the progression works or what? I mean, it's a diatonic progression and most of the time diatonic chords played one after the other will work. Also, it ends with dominant-tonic (C#dim-D). This makes it sound "complete".

But yeah, it would be nice to hear the progression in a context. What song is it from?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115