Page 1 of 4
It has been too long that a dictator has ruled the Pit. I know what you're all thinking. Don't say her name. She'll never show you mercy.

It has been too long that this racist, sexist coward belittles the plight of white men on the internet. We have the right to free speech. We have the right to use a forum the way we please. How dare she silence us with her personal anecdotes?

Fascism is on the rise and you know the face that's on it. Hide your beliefs: she's coming.

- a PSA from the Freedom Fighters of UG
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

My housemate was looking through a menu from an indian restaurant the other day, was asking us how spicy the dishes were, and complaining because it didn't say on the menu

white people are fucking disgraceful real talk
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Apr 24, 2016,
Quote by Bladez22
My housemate was looking through a menu from an indian restaurant the other day, was asking us how spicy the dishes were, and complaining because it didn't say on the menu

white people are fucking disgraceful real talk

that's racist

-reported-
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal at #33942210
that's racist

-reported-

Wouldn't be so bad, but they're also the type that thinks a korma is spicy. Not even the first person to moan about it either, its a regular thing with white folk I know for some reason. That and racist jokes that are A) not even funny in teh first place. B) not even that racist. like if you're gonna make racist jokes, at least make them good and actually offensive, not this middle class, soft, subtle racism. Gotta go full edl for it to be funny

they're weak

also its relevant because they're also known to say "its okay to be racist against whites now, so its okay for me to say nigger"

smh

smh
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
I'm oppressed, check your privilege you fucking shitlords.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I had bombay potatoes for lunch
and then chicken chow mein for dinner

sorry for the cultural appropriation, indians and chinese ppl
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I ate pizza, sorry Italians, for appropriating your culture.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Bladez22
Wouldn't be so bad, but they're also the type that thinks a korma is spicy. Not even the first person to moan about it either, its a regular thing with white folk I know for some reason. That and racist jokes that are A) not even funny in teh first place. B) not even that racist. like if you're gonna make racist jokes, at least make them good and actually offensive, not this middle class, soft, subtle racism. Gotta go full edl for it to be funny

they're weak

who tf thinks korma as spicy WOW

tbh I love making brown race jokes and idk why white people don't make more white race jokes bc damn yall got some material
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

^
I miss the banter me and my old roomate shared. Indian vs White English. Shit was brutal

I had grilled cheese on giraffe bread, and a peanut butter sandwich for lunch/brunch

Sorry giraffes I guess?

and don't, I had to leave the room when she was going through the menu, I couldn't stop laughing at her and was having to bite my tongue and calling her stupid

"does rogan josh have spices in it?"

YES! YES IT FUCKING DOES. ITS INDIAN FOOD, IT ALL HAS FUCKING SPICES IN YOU MONG
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
also its relevant because they're also known to say "its okay to be racist against whites now, so its okay for me to say nigger"

ha ha ha yeah I dare them to say it in around any poc that are bigger than them
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

when k.lainad says 'poc' does he mean 'piece of chit'?
Quote by vintage x metal
ha ha ha yeah I dare them to say it in around any poc that are bigger than them

poc is the dumbest term, apparently it originated because saying "coloured person" is racist, yet "Person of colour" isn't......it's the same thing
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
The laptop I'm using to post this is from Taiwan

I'm so so sorry for appropriating your culture taiwan pls forgive me xxxxxxx
I have nothing important to say
Quote by i_lovemetallica
poc is the dumbest term, apparently it originated because saying "coloured person" is racist, yet "Person of colour" isn't......it's the same thing

It's really not, go take a linguistics course or something
Quote by i_lovemetallica

Also white people range from like pink to beige and those are colors too.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
It's really not, go take a linguistics course or something

Eh, reads the same to me.

Also, pretty much everything in my house was made in China.....sorry chinapersons.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica

"colored person" has been used historically like the term "negro" and only really referred to black people in america so there is a lot of baggage. like, I wouldn't call someone a negro at this point, and people call themselves "negro" or "colored" but it is out of irony

"person of color" is the nice way to say "non-white" and was developed a lot later when the diversity of races and ethnicities in the us (as well as in europe) grew, so it's not just a euphemism for "negro"

idk I don't think it is that confusing. I usually just say non-white but poc is a lot easier to type. little details can matter, like if I am learning language and I decide to call white people "pink people" because I don't quite understand the historical, cultural, or political implications, then I just end up looking dumb more than anything. you can say "colored person" if you want, I just wouldn't advise it lol
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

can't believe you fucking appropriated the trail of tears for some trivial thread title

god check your privilege

people died on the trails of tears

until they're weren't alive
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Hydra150
when k.lainad says 'poc' does he mean 'piece of chit'?

piece of chutney
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by BladeSlinger
can't believe you fucking appropriated the trail of tears for some trivial thread title

god check your privilege

people died on the trails of tears

until they're weren't alive

Look around: they're everywhere.

- a PSA from the Freedom Fighter of UG
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

My thoughts are more along the lines of, how can just changing the order of words make it less offensive?

I see no problem with referring to someone by their ethnicity, but it's all context based. If I say "An Asian gentleman" as opposed to "An Asian gronk" there's a world of difference......inflection is just as important as vocabulary.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
mango chutney?

oops appropriating again
Quote by i_lovemetallica
My thoughts are more along the lines of, how can just changing the order of words make it less offensive?

I see no problem with referring to someone by their ethnicity, but it's all context based. If I say "An Asian gentleman" as opposed to "An Asian gronk" there's a world of difference......inflection is just as important as vocabulary.

right, exactly

in this case, it is just the historical context and sources. "colored person" historically has been used to politely negatively refer to black people. "person of color" was a term developed by black feminists to talk about the experiences that non-white people may collectively face, and to help talk in terms outside of the black/white binary that is normalized in the us. I was confused too, bc as a brown person whose family did not grow up in the states, I didn't know "colored person" had a negative connotation as a kid and I called myself a colored person accidentally all the time LOL
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Hydra150
mango chutney?

oops appropriating again

tamarind

nice and sour
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I had a really good convo with people in my class about this. Only about a third of us are white English, a third black English, and a third from India/Pakistan/Saudi. We came to the conclusion that its best to just say it how it is, they mostly preferred to just be called black/brown/white, as long as its obvious its being used descriptively and not in a bad way

and obviously this is anecdotal, and they do not speak for all PoC
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
I had a really good convo with people in my class about this. Only about a third of us are white English, a third black English, and a third from India/Pakistan/Saudi. We came to the conclusion that its best to just say it how it is, they mostly preferred to just be called black/brown/white, as long as its obvious its being used descriptively and not in a bad way

That's the trick innit, we had a Magistrate at work explain to some guy that merely referring to someone by their ethnicity is not inherently racist, because to be racist it has to be a remark or an action that is intended for the detriment of the person they're saying it against.

Being that Australia is massively multi-cultural, it's interesting to note that using terms like "person of colour" hasn't really caught on here, we tend to refer to people by their ethnicity, e.g "An african gentleman", "An Asian lady" or whatever.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Bladez22

i'm with this although yeah can't speak for everyone

i'm just tired of being called "african american" really
vintage getting threads closed on an anecdotal whim, gg92 getting users banned with the sending of a text
the place is in dissaray, my cis-bros

down with this matriarchy
Quote by Hydra150
vintage getting threads closed on an anecdotal whim, gg92 getting users banned with the sending of a text
the place is in dissaray, my cis-bros

down with this matriarchy

You're next
Quote by i_lovemetallica
That's the trick innit, we had a Magistrate at work explain to some guy that merely referring to someone by their ethnicity is not inherently racist, because to be racist it has to be a remark or an action that is intended for the detriment of the person they're saying it against.

Being that Australia is massively multi-cultural, it's interesting to note that using terms like "person of colour" hasn't really caught on here, we tend to refer to people by their ethnicity, e.g "An african gentleman", "An Asian lady" or whatever.

I say black, white, south asian, east asian, latino, etc if I am just trying to describe someone (or if I don't know, I'll describe the color of their skin)

I doubt australia has the same history of saying the word "colored people" in a negative light as the us does, so it makes a ton of sense that "poc" hasn't caught on.

Quote by MinterMan22
i'm just tired of being called "african american" really

how tf did this even catch on lol
like you are neither african nor american

tbh the only people who should be called african american are people who have immigrated to the us from somewhere in africa in the past two generations
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I say black, white, south asian, east asian, latino, etc if I am just trying to describe someone (or if I don't know, I'll describe the color of their skin)

I doubt australia has the same history of saying the word "colored people" in a negative light as the us does, so it makes a ton of sense that "poc" hasn't caught on.

Our indigenous Australians are dark skinned and they were treated pretty horrifically, but they weren't called "coloured", generally just terms like "abbo" which are still incredibly offensive.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Carmel was the worst.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Carmel was the worst.

I totally forgot Carmel was a thing tbh....whatever happened to her?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
you have to remember that race relations in the US are not the same as most other places because of the giant population of folks who were abducted and brought here for slavery, who are now discriminated against here but also do not belong to any culture in the african continent

australia had some more minute history of slavery but it was of native peoples of australia, not a different imported population
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by i_lovemetallica
Our indigenous Australians are dark skinned and they were treated pretty horrifically, but they weren't called "coloured", generally just terms like "abbo" which are still incredibly offensive.

yeah exactly

like there is no reason for me to know the term "abbo", just like "poc" is not v applicable to you unless you're talking to a bunch of americans on the internet or visiting the states
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

old people here will sometimes say coloured without knowing connotations I guess
but our demographic doesnt really demand that they do
have heard my boss saying "coloured boy", I think maybe he uses the term 'boy' for young men regardless of race but still
Quote by GuitarGod_92
You're next

Quote by i_lovemetallica
I totally forgot Carmel was a thing tbh....whatever happened to her?

she's in theguitarist's basement or something rn

true fact
idk if this is part of his UG power coup plan, or just for fun
Quote by Hydra150
true fact
idk if this is part of his UG power coup plan, or just for fun

Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica at #33942271

I think POC is more usually reserved for academia. I'm also pretty sure it's typically used as an umbrella term or when you the ethnicity of an individual isn't known or maybe ambiguous.

i.e. you want to say something about the collective experience of people who aren't white

or

e.g. that "black" person to whom you're referring could be dark-skinned Latin American, etc.

Americans, IME, are likely to refer to people by their ethnicity as well. It's usually reserved for when the collective "non-white" population is relevant somehow.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Page 1 of 4