So I recently picked up a PRS Custom 24 with some money I came into, it had a few dings and scratches on from being poorly handled in store so it was £500 off, most of these are minor dings that have to catch the light before you even notice them.

What it didn't have, was damage to the neck pickup, but the other day I noticed this:

I've recently started experimenting with gravity picks, the boutique acrylic plectrum brand, and I'm a big fan, especially of the 4mm unfinished sunrise:

Is it possible that the hard/rough plastic of the unfinished pick could have caused this damage? I'm not even sure what's happened to the pickup as only some sides of the hole seem to have and raised edges, the rest feel perfectly smooth and there is a definite change in texture around the damaged area. It has been knocked about a bit in use, as any guitar is, but this hasn't caused any other noticeable damage, could it be impact damage?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 25, 2016,
That looks like a gouge, which if you were picking would have noticed as you would have felt it catch. In my experience pics can cause scraping or scratches, but rarely on the pickup (if ever) and nothing like that. Granted I have not used the pick you are using, but still don't think its from that.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
That damage is not from a pick. And it's definitely not from the finish on your pick.
That's impact from something else, likely incurred during the "mishandling" at the store before you bought it.

Good choice on picks, BTW. I've been using the 2mm Razer for years (light blue, transparent, almost impossible to find if you drop it). Apparently Rob Chapman has discovered them and now has a "signature" pick that happens to be a 2mm Razer in a sort of smoke color (costs the same as the hard to find versions). Never thought I'd appreciate the existence of Chappers, but in this one instance, I am.
The damage definitely wasn't there in the store as I have a photo of the guitar while I was trying it out in the store.

I did have my stand fall over face first shortly after getting the guitar home, apparently the rear foot wasn't fully extended (which I am really damn mad about!) there was no body damage beyond what was already there because I checked it over it several times. So maybe it was that? It's kind of annoying and the damage does niggle at me, probably because of it being my own stupid fault :P Maybe I'll have to make a PRS pup purchasing in the coming future.

It's comforting to know it's not those picks, I really like them and would like to keep using them.

And yeah I have one of the chappers picks and it's pretty good, but I personally prefer their 3/4mm picks.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire

And yeah I have one of the chappers picks and it's pretty good, but I personally prefer their 3/4mm picks.

That was definitely due to the guitar going over on its face, then. I pretty much keep my guitars in the cases when they're not being used, but I came VERY close to a disaster with one when a case lid nearly came down on a guitar that was half-in, half-out, and the case lid had one of those fasteners that had something like a "tooth" extending beyond the lid. Someone wasn't thinking when they designed it. Anyway, cat decided to rub on the case lid and I made a diving, nearly-stretched-out save. The cat, of course, used transporter technology to beam out of there. *poof*

I've usually used 3mm Dunlop fatties in the past, but the point wasn't sharp enough. The Razer was *near* perfect in the 3mm size, but since it's smaller than the one you're using, the body/point ratio wasn't *quite* right, and I settled on the 2mm as my "Goldilocks" pick. At some point I'm going to drive up to his place and try out a bunch of picks and see if there's something I like better. That is, if he doesn't get TOO big (he's selling at Sweetwater now!).
The sad thing is that I bought a secure Hercules stand specifically so it was safe.

To the stands merit the guitar didn't fall out of the stand, the stand just went over itself! I think it's because the rear leg wasn't fully locked and it got knocked by something in passing.

I kind of hope gravity get slightly bigger distribution wise as their options in europe are a little limited, no 6mm, only one grip hole style, only one colour per thickness, that kinda thing.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
The sad thing is that I bought a secure Hercules stand specifically so it was safe.

To the stands merit the guitar didn't fall out of the stand, the stand just went over itself! I think it's because the rear leg wasn't fully locked and it got knocked by something in passing.

I kind of hope gravity get slightly bigger distribution wise as their options in europe are a little limited, no 6mm, only one grip hole style, only one colour per thickness, that kinda thing.

AH. I'm in California, and routinely drive by (well, SORT of routinely, when I visit relatives) where he builds the things. I just order direct and they usually arrive in a day or two. Used to be longer, because he'd occasionally have to make them. I think he only does one color per thickness with a lot of them on purpose; they weren't always marked as to thickness. When I called him to reorder some picks, he asked what color they were and identified the thickness from that.

Do you order direct from him, or from a local distributor in the UK?
Gravity have a Europe distributor, have been thinking of ordering direct though.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Sounds like Gravity was your problem, just not the pick...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin

Quote by DisarmGoliath