Hello, I have a 100 dollar rogue acoustic and i'm trying to finger pick half right by elliott smith, ver 2.

I am having trouble with my indoex finger holding down those bar chord notes. Is there a way to adjust things just right with the neck or do i need a more expensive guitar?

I can play an F fine its just that when finger picking Am# low below the F, i got to hold the neck really tight and it is a bummer.
Last edited by bmahoney717 at Apr 25, 2016,
Lots of factors at play here.

1) String Gauge. Lighter strings will change the sound and tone of the guitar, but they will require less pressure to play. I'm not sure this ultimately will give you the results, but as a measure of last resort, it could work.

1.5) New strings - Newer strings are slinkier and often are easier to play than old stretched strings.

2) Hand Strength - It's something we all went through. You'll have to develop hand strength for barring chords. As a personal note - I don't see much value in hand strengtheners, though your mileage may vary. You will get stronger simply by doing it more.

3) Posture & positioning - Where your thumb is and your wrist angle play into this. With a more classical seated positioning - your neck angle is higher. Keeping your thumb behind the neck will give you a mechanical advantage.
Quote by bmahoney717
...[ ]....I can play an F fine its just that when finger picking Am# low below the F, i got to hold the neck really tight and it is a bummer.
Well, F major is a bit easier, because you get to use an extra finger, there's no getting around that.

Hand strength is obviously a factor, as actions on acoustics are, of necessity, higher than those on electrics, and the strings are heavier, also out of necessity.

So, as has been mentioned lighter strings might be in order. I'm going to suggest a "custom light" string set, (.011 to .053), as a compromise between decent sound output, good bass, and ease of play.

Next is how your guitar is setup. Here's a great guide to check it out: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html Do yourself a big favor and go through it thoroughly.

Trouble with fretting barre chords low on the neck, is quite often linked to the string slots not cut deep enough in the top nut. However, you can screw up your guitar buy overdoing making them too deep.

So, read the guide. Then decide if you're competent and handy enough to do the setup yourself. Even if you don't think you would be able to do the work yourself, you'll stand a better chance of explaining what needs to be done with a tech, simply be learning what the measurements should be and where those points of measurement are..

90% of the time, the guitar is at least somewhat at fault, and the other 90% of the time, it's lack of hand strength from not practicing.

If been involved in a lot of these, "I can't do barre chords", threads. Fixing the problem isn't as simple as asking the right questions on the web. You need to do chord drills, and when you're done with those, do some more.

Remember, exercise builds muscle strength, not chatter.

With that said, make sure your form and technique are on the money, so you don't hurt yourself from having that bad form. Don't overdo it, it's not going to come to you in a day and a half. (Sorry, I always hate it when I have to spring that on people).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 25, 2016,