Page 1 of 2
If you can get just one amp. One amp to rule them all, what will you get?

I'm dead set on getting myself a Tube amp, something that is versatile and can pull off brutal metal tones, searing lead tones, nice crunch and bluesy breakup tones and sweet cleans.

Budget: $2000-2500, can be stretched if required but I would prefer not to (For the head only, but it will be better if I can squeeze in a decent 2x12 and some pedals along with it)

Cabinet: Currently I'm almost locked in on the Harley Benton Vintage 2X12 loaded with V30s. Don't want a 4X12 as the amp will mostly be at home and lugging around a 4X12 for gigs will be insane.

http://www.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Genres: Metal and Rock primarily but I also play Blues, Instrumental and Pop-fusion (because it pays) that will require some good quality cleans and mild overdrive tones.

My main band is Experimental Metal with metalcore, death, thrash, progressive and groove elements. I have 2 side projects that are Blues based rock-pop-fusion stuff.

I'm also a big instrumental fan and idolize virtuosos like Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert and many others and would love to get some tones from their sonic spectrum.

Some psychedelic and progressive stuff like Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree and Tool are always on top of my list.

Current guitars: I will be playing exclusively through my Esp Edwards e-cy-165ctm which is a very bright sounding guitar. It has SD TB5 in the bridge and Cool rails in the neck. So bright sounding amps are kinda out of the question, unless there is a really good reason to get one.

Features I want: Preferably 3 independent channels with dedicated EQ stacks to dial contrasting tones on each. If possible, a gain knob on the clean channel to dirty my martini whenever I want. Varipower or Attenuator would be nice if built into the amp like Oranges or Bugeras.

What I'm considering at the moment:

Engl Invader 2

http://www.thomann.de/intl/engl_invader_2_e642_2.htm

Diezel Hagen

http://www.thomann.de/intl/diezel_hagen.htm

Marshall JVM 410

http://www.thomann.de/intl/marshall_jvm410h.htm

Stumbled upon this on Ebay: The Randall 667

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDALL-667-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-ALL-TUBE-120-WATTS-6-CHANNELS-USM-667-EXC-/222091977744?hash=item33b5b6a410:g:gsIAAOSwKfVXFoh7#viTabs_0

Also came across a Peavey 3120 by the very same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-3120-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-120-WATTS-ALL-TUBE-3-CHANNEL-EXC-/322080795835?hash=item4afd82ecbb

Seller seems to be pretty legit and the shipping rate are not exorbitant. Only $175 for USPS worldwide shipping.

Yay or nay?

Was also considering:

Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo or Roadster or Mark V

Bugera Trirec or 333xl

I'm keen on opinions on:

Blackstar amps (HT metal and Series one), Randall, Carvin and Peaveys.

I gave up on the Mesa as they are not cheap and most sellers on ebay won't ship to Asia. Bugera... ah, I have been keeping an eye on them for the past 5 years but their issues are not yet sorted. They do sound good though. The only way I have right now is through Thomann.

Better to make one great investment that will last decades since there is no used market in my country. Also you won't be able to get any of these amps in the local music stores and the only way is online purchase.

Thanks and regards.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
GB&A MS-10 (a teeny tiny solid-state amp)

Coping up with some serious GAS !!!
Last edited by sigma005 at Apr 25, 2016,
Quote by sigma005
If you can get just one amp. One amp to rule them all, what will you get?

I'm dead set on getting myself a Tube amp

No such animal. And certainly none of what you've listed.

I ended up with over a dozen tube amps (most of them now in storage) while in this pursuit. You might try one of the Randalls or older Eganaters (I have an M4 preamp) that accept "personality modules". These are all-tube channels that can be removed and replaced that provide different tube circuitry designed to mimic various other amps. The amps/preamps themselves can accept up to four channels and there are dozens of modules on the market from Randall, Egnater and other vendors.

I've also got a Mesa Triaxis preamp that offers a wide range of Mesa sounds, and a Carvin Quad-X that features four separate channels with varying gain stage levels (up to eleven separate gain stages), six FX loops, built in boost and reverb, active controls, assignable graphic EQ and more. I've also got a stereo power amp that will accept EL34s, 6L6s or a combination of both (only one kind per channel, of course).
I'll second the Randall/Egnater modular series amps. I used to have the Randall and the modules were pretty amazing, tons of tones to be had. Only downside is I wanted all of them!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
The modules are a pretty amazing option, I cannot agree more. Plus it will be a hell lotta easier to gig with. But my dilemma is that I cannot get my hands on anything that is currently out of production or more specifically not on Thomann or Ebay.

Sucks being in this ditch. Rarely I have come across sellers on Ebay who will ship to worldwide destinations.

For now I'm stuck with Thomann only as Musiciansfriend won't ship a 20kg something amp to Asia
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by ambler3
One thing I will add, is while that 2x12 cab is decent (got one myself), if you have the money to spend get yourself a decent cab.

If a 2x12, then at least a decent 2x12, which the Harley Benton is not. It has V30s, okay, but the cabinet si very cheap. I have two vertical Engl 2x12s, one of them loaded with V30s, the other one with K100s and they sound massive, almost like 4x12s - no wonder, for 2x12s they are really big. Or if you wanna buy from Thomann, then I could recommend the Palmer cabinets. They are more compact and not as solid and sturdy as the Engls, but much better then Harley Bentons. And you can also buy them as unloaded, where you choose what speakers you want there: http://www.thomann.de/cz/palmer_2_12_cabinet_unloaded.htm
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 25, 2016,
I'm going to recommend an Axe-FX or Helix with a FRFR. Getting all of the tones you're looking for out of one amp is a tall order. And actually liking the amps that can do all of it is even more difficult to find.
I'm partial to my EVH 5150 iii 50w + Orange PPC212 which brand new together came in at around $1600 after a coupon. Definitely not the end all be all for most people, but I am plenty satisfied with it as a "household" musician (I don't gig).
No such amp, they all got warts.

A Mesa Mk V is one of the most versatile but no amp does everything brilliantly. Not AXE either.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Mesa Mk V if all you can get is new, but be prepared to get out your big wallet...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i'd suggest getting 2 heads 1 that does the metal and one that does the blues type stuff. agree with those who said that a 1 amp fits all for what you want isn't really an option. personally i use a Peavey Ultra for my many tonal needs but as mentioned it doesn't do everything optimally.
The JSX could be considered an amp that does it all. The Carvin V3 could fall in that category as well. The DSL JCM2000 might be also one of these amps althought it would need a boost for the more radical metal settings.
Out of the ones you mentioned, probably Mark V.
I'd add teh VHT/Fryette SIg X to the fray.
The Randall modular used to be THAT amp.
Mark V is always a good option. The Mesa Express series is like a budget version ($1500~) of the Mark V.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by JELIFISH19
I'm going to recommend an Axe-FX or Helix with a FRFR. Getting all of the tones you're looking for out of one amp is a tall order. And actually liking the amps that can do all of it is even more difficult to find.

Or you could look at the Helix and one of the L6 DT series amps. There's still no direct L6 Link support per se between the 2 but the midi programming is pretty easy to integrate into the patches and it really does help elevate the modelling of the Helix to a whole different level in my opinion.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Played or owned all of those (and many more) and the only amp I still play is a Rhodes (now KSR) Gemini. It's that good. The Colossus is the same thing but with four independent EQs/gain/volume. Without a doubt the best all around amp I've ever played. There are a handful of amps better at specific things, but nothing sounds as good at everything as the Gemini. Killer cleans all the way to ridiculous amounts of distortion be it never loses definition.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
With that budget, if I could only get one amp I'd get a used Kemper Powerhead.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by ambler3
One thing I will add, is while that 2x12 cab is decent (got one myself), if you have the money to spend get yourself a decent cab.

Quote by Airfish
If a 2x12, then at least a decent 2x12, which the Harley Benton is not. It has V30s, okay, but the cabinet si very cheap. I have two vertical Engl 2x12s, one of them loaded with V30s, the other one with K100s and they sound massive, almost like 4x12s - no wonder, for 2x12s they are really big. Or if you wanna buy from Thomann, then I could recommend the Palmer cabinets. They are more compact and not as solid and sturdy as the Engls, but much better then Harley Bentons. And you can also buy them as unloaded, where you choose what speakers you want there: http://www.thomann.de/cz/palmer_2_12_cabinet_unloaded.htm

Yeah, I have been wondering that if the Harley Benton will do justice to such an expensive amp.

If I manage to save some dough, I will definitely go for a Mesa or an ENGL cab.

Any alternatives to V30s? G12H maybe or Seventy 80s?

Quote by JELIFISH19

Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Or you could look at the Helix and one of the L6 DT series amps. There's still no direct L6 Link support per se between the 2 but the midi programming is pretty easy to integrate into the patches and it really does help elevate the modelling of the Helix to a whole different level in my opinion.

Not gonna go for AxeFX as they are quite common here in India. Besides I have a GT8 to add effects anyways. I want that warmth and response of tubes.

I just want a good amp as I have never had a real amp. Lots of multi effects and floor processors though. I wanna go for the real thing and not invest in modelling units even though it can be a worthy buy.

True that a single amp cannot deliver all those tones. I will recline more towards overdriven tone and less towards cleans, but decent to good cleans would be nice. Not like a Soldano or Jetcity which tend to do great ODs but the cleans are always on the verge of breaking up.

Quote by Dinglebuttz
I'm partial to my EVH 5150 iii 50w + Orange PPC212 which brand new together came in at around $1600 after a coupon. Definitely not the end all be all for most people, but I am plenty satisfied with it as a "household" musician (I don't gig).

I feel you amigo. I was quite dead set on the Carvin V3m since it has wattage selection and is pretty good for home and the small size is a bonus for gigs. But I'm not gonna get it as it is very bright voiced and my guitars are quite bright.

Quote by Cajundaddy
No such amp, they all got warts.

A Mesa Mk V is one of the most versatile but no amp does everything brilliantly. Not AXE either.

Quote by Arby911
Mesa Mk V if all you can get is new, but be prepared to get out your big wallet...

Quote by Ippon
^ The JSX is definitely the best bang for the $$$ for versatility. Then, the MB TremOVerb, Roadster, and Road King II or Mark V.

Quote by diabolical
The JSX could be considered an amp that does it all. The Carvin V3 could fall in that category as well. The DSL JCM2000 might be also one of these amps althought it would need a boost for the more radical metal settings.
Out of the ones you mentioned, probably Mark V.
I'd add teh VHT/Fryette SIg X to the fray.
The Randall modular used to be THAT amp.

Quote by Most_Triumphant
Mark V is always a good option. The Mesa Express series is like a budget version ($1500~) of the Mark V.

Yup, I LOVE the Mark V! The JSX is awesome as well. They are both super versatile and I'm looking for them but the Mesas are way overpriced on Thomann and the JSX doesn't exist anymore (on Thomann).

A local online store used to store JSXs, I have dropped them a mail. I hope they have one in stock.

by the way, what do you guys think about the Marshall Joe Satriani Signature?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_joe_satriani_head.htm

Much cheaper than the Mesas and Diezels. I can get some pedals and a good cab as well. And it's a Marshall for Christ's sake. It will always look iconic on stage.

Quote by mmolteratx
Played or owned all of those (and many more) and the only amp I still play is a Rhodes (now KSR) Gemini. It's that good. The Colossus is the same thing but with four independent EQs/gain/volume. Without a doubt the best all around amp I've ever played. There are a handful of amps better at specific things, but nothing sounds as good at everything as the Gemini. Killer cleans all the way to ridiculous amounts of distortion be it never loses definition.

That I Like! And the Colossus is super sweet! :drool:

How much do these cost? Any estimates? Will they ship to India?

Quote by monwobobbo
i'd suggest getting 2 heads 1 that does the metal and one that does the blues type stuff. agree with those who said that a 1 amp fits all for what you want isn't really an option. personally i use a Peavey Ultra for my many tonal needs but as mentioned it doesn't do everything optimally.

I know right! Can't have enough gear, that is for sure haha. Maybe I should get a pair of small heads like an ENGL Screamer 50 and a Peavey classic 30 for cleans. But then I will need 2 cabs too.

Quote by TheStig1214
With that budget, if I could only get one amp I'd get a used Kemper Powerhead.

No used market here in India or no market at all for that matter. Everyone here uses Floor Processors or got AxeFXs. The only stuff I can get is something that is currently in production and readily available on Thomann or Ebay (with Worldwide shipping).
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

The Randall 667 does seem to be quite versatile. Great clarity and definition. Bright switch and Lo/Mid/High gain voicing for all channels. Dunno if it can get teh Brootz like a Mesa or Engl but sounds killer for sure. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDW7ZnECU8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JLe3MnPiSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZJLpBB8nc

Or maybe I should just sell a kidney and invest in the Triamp mark 3 and call it quits? It is readily available on Thomann and can take infinite tube combinations. A pair of 6L6+ pair of EL34+pair of KT88 = Bliss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PW4VJsdBTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVa_2ol-73o
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by diabolical
Maybe look up Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36 around $1200.

Tried it, there is not enough gain for heavier metal stuff. The GrandMeister 36 is a bit more expensive, but has one extra gain channel "ULTRA" - and that one should do it. But the TubeMeister would need a big kick in the preamp balls by an OD pedal, to get real heavy....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Alternatives for V30?
As I already wrote, my go-to speakers are Celestion G12 K100s. Massive bottom end (but not loose), incredibly juicy and warm midrange. Sound very well in combination with the upper-mid agresive V30s. So if you are going for just one 2x12 cab, I very much advise you to combine one V30 and one K100. The only bad thing about K100: it only comes in 8-ohm version, so in a 2x12 cab you either end up with 4 or 16 ohms total impedance. But the V30 come in both 8- and 16-ohm versions, so there is a possible V30+K100 combination.
And if my word is not enough, then ask Mick Thomson from Slipknot - he is a K100 guy.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i think the 667 is amazing

Dude it looks incredible.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm yet to hear a H&K in the flesh that I actually liked TBH.
Never tried a 667. Looks good though.

Watch ebay for an RM100. The combos are a closed back 2x12. Friggin heavy though - 40kg.
Have you seen what is available for them?
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by diabolical
Maybe look up Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36 around $1200.

Quote by Airfish
Tried it, there is not enough gain for heavier metal stuff. The GrandMeister 36 is a bit more expensive, but has one extra gain channel "ULTRA" - and that one should do it. But the TubeMeister would need a big kick in the preamp balls by an OD pedal, to get real heavy....

Thomann is selling the Grandmeister 36 at $1223

http://www.thomann.de/intl/hugheskettner_grandmeister_36_head.htm

The OD tones are great but lack that grit the Triamp delivers and the cleans sound very sterile to me judging by the audio clips on Thomann. Or maybe it's my ears. I'm listening to these on some crappy Samsung headphones on my work system.

Quote by AcousticMirror
i think the 667 is amazing

Quote by dementiacaptain
Dude it looks incredible.

Thank you! I cannot agree more. The tones are there but I haven't found a clip on youtube that has brought it home yet. At $2000, it is way cheaper than a Diezel or a Mesa(on Thomann) or a HK Triamp. Randall has seriously upped their game and by a lot! Sad that Mike Fortin isn't renewing his contract with them.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm yet to hear a H&K in the flesh that I actually liked TBH.
Never tried a 667. Looks good though.

Watch ebay for an RM100. The combos are a closed back 2x12. Friggin heavy though - 40kg.
Have you seen what is available for them?
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html

Yes I saw them. Pretty amazing thing those modules. I found a few on Ebay for $1200-1500. Will I be able to change modules on the go, while I'm on stage?

I read somewhere that select few modules are really worth it. Any suggestions and links to audio clips?

Quote by Airfish
Alternatives for V30?
As I already wrote, my go-to speakers are Celestion G12 K100s. Massive bottom end (but not loose), incredibly juicy and warm midrange. Sound very well in combination with the upper-mid agresive V30s. So if you are going for just one 2x12 cab, I very much advise you to combine one V30 and one K100. The only bad thing about K100: it only comes in 8-ohm version, so in a 2x12 cab you either end up with 4 or 16 ohms total impedance. But the V30 come in both 8- and 16-ohm versions, so there is a possible V30+K100 combination.
And if my word is not enough, then ask Mick Thomson from Slipknot - he is a K100 guy.

Mick has a really sick tone but I like Jim's tone more. Damn Orange, they have that organic feel. I haven't heard G12 K100s specifically. I will check them out for sure. Thanks a ton for the suggestion mate!

Impedance? Ohm ratings? haha I'm a noob in terms of Tube amps and speaker choices.

I will go through the sticky on cabs and speakers again to refresh my knowledge. More like relearn it all.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Last edited by sigma005 at Apr 26, 2016,
It doesn't take long to swap modules but I wouldn't be doing it mid set. You've got 3 modules, how many do you need for a gig?

The Salvation Mash-all+ is a fantastic Marshall module.
The Jaded Faith SLO module rocks.

Most of the boutique modules from those builders are great.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

Mick has a really sick tone but I like Jim's tone more. Damn Orange, they have that organic feel. I haven't heard G12 K100s specifically. I will check them out for sure. Thanks a ton for the suggestion mate!

You are welcome, sir. Namaste!
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 26, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard
It doesn't take long to swap modules but I wouldn't be doing it mid set. You've got 3 modules, how many do you need for a gig?

The Salvation Mash-all+ is a fantastic Marshall module.
The Jaded Faith SLO module rocks.

Most of the boutique modules from those builders are great.

3 would be enough for a set. But I would need more than 3 to get all the tones I want.

Damn those modules make me drool and breed the greed in me. I just realized that I would have to donate a module to get them modded by Salvation or Faith or pay $400 something for a module.

How much do they stock modules cost?

I don't wanna spend $1200 something on the RM100 and then a grand or two on getting the right modules and then discovering that I don't have the funds left to invest on a good cabinet.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

You can't buy new stock modules any more. The boutique ones are better anyway. I have two from Salvation (Mash-all and Markus), two SLO modules from Jaded Faith and a Randall Tweed.
ebay is probably the best place to find donor modules cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ebay or from the MTS grail tone forum.

Guys there have a lot of modules and unload them fairly fast. Everyone I have dealt with on there was pretty legit and great to work with. You might be able to find the module you are looking for without donating one, which gives you one more to donate later.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I know it's not everyone's favorite amp but I do like my Tubemeister 36, but it does benefit from a tube swap right out of the box, the stick Chinese tubes can make the amp seen underwhelming. I ended up swapping the preamps for Tung Sols and put a Sovtek 12AX7-LPS in phase inverter and it's really brought a lot of clarity to the sound. As far as gain, I've never had issues but you could always put a boost in front of it.

I also found that the amp just didn't seem to play nice with V30s, even with the matching H&K cab. When I had the 18 I was using it with an EVH 112 (G12H anniversary speaker) and when I upgraded to the 36 a Traynor Darkhorse 212 (Greenbacks) and both of those sounded great with their respective heads.

Also if you plan on using your GT8 for effects the midi programming on the 36 is ridiculously easy. With the push of a couple of buttons you could set it up so your GT8 will not only select your stored patches but also your amp channel, powersoak level and reverb on/off.
I have a H&K pedal that I love, which is pretty much their older 3 channel preamp section. It probably isn't best for heavy distortion but it does seem to grow on you. It is true that the H&K tone is not for everybody but I think with the Tubemeister 36 and an OD you could pretty much cover all the bases.
Quote by sigma005
Yeah, I have been wondering that if the Harley Benton will do justice to such an expensive amp.

If I manage to save some dough, I will definitely go for a Mesa or an ENGL cab.

Any alternatives to V30s? G12H maybe or Seventy 80s?

Not gonna go for AxeFX as they are quite common here in India. Besides I have a GT8 to add effects anyways. I want that warmth and response of tubes.

I just want a good amp as I have never had a real amp. Lots of multi effects and floor processors though. I wanna go for the real thing and not invest in modelling units even though it can be a worthy buy.

True that a single amp cannot deliver all those tones. I will recline more towards overdriven tone and less towards cleans, but decent to good cleans would be nice. Not like a Soldano or Jetcity which tend to do great ODs but the cleans are always on the verge of breaking up.

I feel you amigo. I was quite dead set on the Carvin V3m since it has wattage selection and is pretty good for home and the small size is a bonus for gigs. But I'm not gonna get it as it is very bright voiced and my guitars are quite bright.

Yup, I LOVE the Mark V! The JSX is awesome as well. They are both super versatile and I'm looking for them but the Mesas are way overpriced on Thomann and the JSX doesn't exist anymore (on Thomann).

A local online store used to store JSXs, I have dropped them a mail. I hope they have one in stock.

by the way, what do you guys think about the Marshall Joe Satriani Signature?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_joe_satriani_head.htm

Much cheaper than the Mesas and Diezels. I can get some pedals and a good cab as well. And it's a Marshall for Christ's sake. It will always look iconic on stage.

That I Like! And the Colossus is super sweet! :drool:

How much do these cost? Any estimates? Will they ship to India?

I know right! Can't have enough gear, that is for sure haha. Maybe I should get a pair of small heads like an ENGL Screamer 50 and a Peavey classic 30 for cleans. But then I will need 2 cabs too.

No used market here in India or no market at all for that matter. Everyone here uses Floor Processors or got AxeFXs. The only stuff I can get is something that is currently in production and readily available on Thomann or Ebay (with Worldwide shipping).

Check with this guy: Rhodes/KSR Colossus H-100 $2500

If you're buying new from the EU and are unable to audition, I'd look at the Diezel VH4 (have) and ENGL SE E670 (had), and also H&K TriAmp MK III (haven't tried this but have the MK II).
Quote by Cathbard
You can't buy new stock modules any more. The boutique ones are better anyway. I have two from Salvation (Mash-all and Markus), two SLO modules from Jaded Faith and a Randall Tweed.
ebay is probably the best place to find donor modules cheap.

Quote by bobafettacheese
^ebay or from the MTS grail tone forum.

Guys there have a lot of modules and unload them fairly fast. Everyone I have dealt with on there was pretty legit and great to work with. You might be able to find the module you are looking for without donating one, which gives you one more to donate later.

Thanks guys, this has been helpful. I checked out the Modular amps and pre-amps and the Egnater M4 and the Randall RM4 have been on my mind for some time. Only trouble is finding one that can be shipped to my location.

I think getting a separate Pre-amp and Power-amp will give me more tones at a lighter package, in terms of both weight and money. Maybe something like an Egnater M4 or Randall RM4 with an ENGL Power-amp. Getting a big-ass amp and then carrying it around will be very troublesome. And it would be a sheer loss if I can't turn it up to a good volume in my house.

Multi-watts or Variable power is something I would really appreciate in an amp. That's one of the main reason I would love to get a Mesa Boogie as they have wattage selectors.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
I know it's not everyone's favorite amp but I do like my Tubemeister 36, but it does benefit from a tube swap right out of the box, the stick Chinese tubes can make the amp seen underwhelming. I ended up swapping the preamps for Tung Sols and put a Sovtek 12AX7-LPS in phase inverter and it's really brought a lot of clarity to the sound. As far as gain, I've never had issues but you could always put a boost in front of it.

I also found that the amp just didn't seem to play nice with V30s, even with the matching H&K cab. When I had the 18 I was using it with an EVH 112 (G12H anniversary speaker) and when I upgraded to the 36 a Traynor Darkhorse 212 (Greenbacks) and both of those sounded great with their respective heads.

Also if you plan on using your GT8 for effects the midi programming on the 36 is ridiculously easy. With the push of a couple of buttons you could set it up so your GT8 will not only select your stored patches but also your amp channel, powersoak level and reverb on/off.

Quote by diabolical
I have a H&K pedal that I love, which is pretty much their older 3 channel preamp section. It probably isn't best for heavy distortion but it does seem to grow on you. It is true that the H&K tone is not for everybody but I think with the Tubemeister 36 and an OD you could pretty much cover all the bases.

Frankly I have always considered Hughes & Kettner to be among the top dogs along with Mesa Boogie, Diezel, Bogner etc. It's quite a surprise that players have mixed reviews for them.

I haven't played one, but the Triamp model on my GT8 is very lovely. Always has that Hi-gain sizzle and clarity to cut through the mix when playing leads. But it loses the punch when playing riffs. Another thing I have noticed that they are voiced bright which could be bad as I want a dark sounding amp. Maybe this can be countered with the right speaker choice?

Tubemeister is really good choice because 3 channels and power-soak but the mixed reviews are a bit unsettling.

Quote by Ippon
Check with this guy: Rhodes/KSR Colossus H-100 $2500

If you're buying new from the EU and are unable to audition, I'd look at the Diezel VH4 (have) and ENGL SE E670 (had), and also H&K TriAmp MK III (haven't tried this but have the MK II).

Thanks mate. I have emailed him. Let's see if he can ship to my place. I only found a couple of videos on Youtube and none seem to do mush justice. I really want to know what the cleans sound like though. You got any links?

Thomann have the Diezel Hagen in stock, they have VH4 but the KT77 version. In ENGL they have the new Invader 2. The Special Edition is nowhere to be found.

What are you thoughts on the Triamp Mk 2?
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by sigma005
Frankly I have always considered Hughes & Kettner to be among the top dogs along with Mesa Boogie, Diezel, Bogner etc. It's quite a surprise that players have mixed reviews for them.

I haven't played one, but the Triamp model on my GT8 is very lovely. Always has that Hi-gain sizzle and clarity to cut through the mix when playing leads. But it loses the punch when playing riffs. Another thing I have noticed that they are voiced bright which could be bad as I want a dark sounding amp. Maybe this can be countered with the right speaker choice?

Tubemeister is really good choice because 3 channels and power-soak but the mixed reviews are a bit unsettling.

Thanks mate. I have emailed him. Let's see if he can ship to my place. I only found a couple of videos on Youtube and none seem to do mush justice. I really want to know what the cleans sound like though. You got any links?

Thomann have the Diezel Hagen in stock, they have VH4 but the KT77 version. In ENGL they have the new Invader 2. The Special Edition is nowhere to be found.

What are you thoughts on the Triamp Mk 2?

What's Thomann's return policy like? Maybe your best bet is to order something, try it out for a couple of weeks and then if it's not gelling with you, fire it back and move on down the list.

Also, this maybe worth looking into:

https://m.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_tubemeister_deluxe_40.htm

Apparently they've based this new one off of the Triamp MKIII. I know I'm curious to check it out when it becomes available locally.
Page 1 of 2