Page 1 of 2
What's the best thing about your hometown / area you grew up in?
If you had to sell it one thing that makes it different from anywhere else (locally/nationally, whatever), what would it be?

I grew up in a town called Lyme Regis, it's had Romans, a rebellion, Jane Austen and John Fowles. Also, we have a massive brick wall in the sea (an artificial harbour) that's been there, in one form or another, since the 11th century.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Nothing really.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I grew up in a few different places but I have a clear favourite: Singapore. Best food in the world, very multi-cultural & diverse, great nightlife. I think one of the most unique things about it is that you can be out in the middle of the night in practically any neighbourhood and not have to worry about your safety; I can't think of any other cities of the same size that are like that.

Also there are a bunch of unexploded bombs under some very expensive houses.
cat
I grew up in a small coastal town between the marshy intracoastal waterway and a very large swamp. The main export is humidity, Navy folks, a lot of meth, and a few golfers.

Historically it's a little notable for being the general area in which James Oglethrope went back and forth with the Spanish governors of Florida until the English won the area and treated it as a buffer colony. Then it was basically a frontier area until the railroad industry expanded in the late 1800s.

Also, there's a good chance they'll be building a spaceport in the rural north end of the county, so that's neat.
I live in The Racing Capital of the World: home of The Greatest Spectacle in Racing the Indianapolis 500!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 26, 2016,
i grew up in a village near a seaside town filled with depression and broken dreams
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I grew up in London, which is the best place in the world. Everyone knows it.

What part? Norf or Sarf?
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

I grew up in a tiny town called Gerogery which has about 50 people and nothing of interest
It was however the most important rail hub in Australia as it was the closest stop to the border between Victoria and New South Wales, which at the time had different rail gauges.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I've been to Lyme Regis. Seemed alright.

My hometown of Eastleigh was the place where the prototype Spitfire first flew (there was some memorial flight for it earlier this year). Apart from that it's a completely forgettable place.
I have nothing important to say
My hometown was a kind of half-country village in the North of England, it was like a seaside village with no seaside. It was nice, the walk to school/college meant walking through woodlands; I had a forest behind my house. I wish I was still there.

When I lived in Oxford for university I loved it there, that's a great mix of city and countryside.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Sure. If you like rain, smog, and chavs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Nowf

I used to run a pub in West Hampstead, for all my sins.
|

----

yeh i didn't really grow up in one place, but imma stand strong with mistress ibanez. london is tops.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I grew up in Oklahoma. Not much to do there, not many cultural amenities. It's gotten even worse since I left the state 25 years ago.

I guess the most interesting thing about Oklahoma was when I lived in Ralston for a couple years as a child. There are a lot of inbred people in Ralston, including a clan of people with small heads and webbed fingers. Not kidding. Kids were illegally forced to take Bible classes in Elementary School (would've been around 1973-1975).
Quote by TobusRex
I grew up in Oklahoma. Not much to do there, not many cultural amenities. It's gotten even worse since I left the state 25 years ago.

I guess the most interesting thing about Oklahoma was when I lived in Ralston for a couple years as a child. There are a lot of inbred people in Ralston, including a clan of people with small heads and webbed fingers. Not kidding. Kids were illegally forced to take Bible classes in Elementary School (would've been around 1973-1975).

Only thing I know about OK is that the Flaming Lips come from there - there's a great documentary about them/there.
|

----

Quote by Herr Rararr
Only thing I know about OK is that the Flaming Lips come from there - there's a great documentary about them/there.

Anything about Oklahoma is automatically not great.
Quote by guitarxo
Also there are a bunch of unexploded bombs under some very expensive houses.

Is this how you keep the rich people in check?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
The only real thing my actual hometown is famous for is a mostly African-American cemetery where the workers dug up old graves and put all the bodies in one mass grave so they could re-sell the individual burial plots for profit.

But Chicago, Chicago is famous for a lot of things.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by RCA1186
The only real thing my actual hometown is famous for is a mostly African-American cemetery where the workers dug up old graves and put all the bodies in one mass grave so they could re-sell the individual burial plots for profit.

But Chicago, Chicago is famous for a lot of things.

I'm from the Chicago area, too. I remember that scandal all too well.
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Quote by aig91
I'm from the Chicago area, too. I remember that scandal all too well.

As do I, it was about 1/4 mile from my house. They seem to have turned it around. At least it appears so from my vantage point.

Quote by Amuro Jay
The town I grew up in was carved out of a forest, it was beautiful.

You had trails like this all over the city, connecting all the neighborhoods

The neighborhoods looked like this:

Charming place, really.

You have no idea how jealous I am.
+More

Last edited by RCA1186 at Apr 26, 2016,
Quote by RCA1186
As do I, it was about 1/4 mile from my house. They seem to have turned it around. At least it appears so from my vantage point.

I go to that Alsip flea market nearby all the time. It was a media circus for a good long while.
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
The Swap-O-Rama, haha that place is a whole 'nother story of its own.
+More

Quote by RCA1186
The Swap-O-Rama, haha that place is a whole 'nother story of its own.

Lmao yeah I know
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Chicago is certainly a unique place. When I have people coming in from around the country, their common criticism is that it seems like we're always eating.

Chicago is a taste. It's a merging of tens of ethnic flavors utilizing flavors that exceed the usual "salt & sugar" flavoring methods of the South. Not only that, in the 30some years I've lived here, I've still yet to run out of things to do on stay-cations or weekends within city limits.

Tie the suburbs into the picture - and it becomes that much more fantastic. All the city's availability at a more relaxed pace.

Other than having to shovel snow, the traffic, and the liquor distribution channels up here - I really have no complaints. I'm going to miss it horribly when I move South.
Spent the majority of my childhood in Japan/Okinawa so the selling point would be the food/sights.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I was too poor to have a "hometown". In fact, I've moved once per year at least for so long that I ended up not having a single place that feels even remotely like "home".

That said, the state I lived in the most consistently was Washington. Personally I really love it here, but you should take that as a non-recommendation because the things I value out of life are pretty much the opposite of what everyone else wants.
If there is a God, it's me.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

>best place in the world
>leaves

(I think that was you who mentioned that. Not certain.)
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Apr 26, 2016,
Manville.

We have/had a lot of asbestos.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Grew up (and still live) in Scranton, PA. My hometown and the general area has pretty banging pizza and Italian cuisine. From majority of people that I know who frequently traveled out of the area say that they can't find many great Italian places.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by chrismendiola
>best place in the world
>leaves

(I think that was you who mentioned that. Not certain.)

You can love where you're from but still leave it.
Grew up like 20 minutes from Miami/Ft Lauderdale beach
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Rebel Scum
You can love where you're from but still leave it.

Yeah, well, obviously. I think that guy might have been kidding.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, well, obviously. I think that guy might have been kidding.

Tone and sarcasm doesn't travel well on the interwebs
Page 1 of 2