Currently, i'm trying to buy a second guitar, first guitar i bought was a vintage v100 les paul but it currently needs a setup and fret dressing (it was an absolutely great beginner guitar)
Now i'm trying to find a guitar which has some good humbuckers with coil split and i also want a tremolo to experiment but i can't really find any good guitars that have this. My budget is currently under £400.

I'm currently looking at this les paul - http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid29713/cid671/epiphone-les-paul-quilt-top-pro-in-translucent-blue.asp?LGWCODE=29713;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo_y4BRD0nMnfoqqnxtEBEiQAWdA127F5uDGuCRMr1ci89zhQJTxP3XHX38-u11d_rWwY2foaAuWN8P8HAQ#product-reviews
As i love the feeling of my current les paul copy but it doesn't have tremolo which i really want to experiment around with.

I'm also looking at this squier stratocaster classic vibe 60s but i'm not sure if it will be comfortable for me and i also want to play some rock with a humbucker and i'm not sure if a strat would be able to that.

P.S
I'm not entirely sure yet what genre i would stick to, i'm currently having a lot of playing some guns n roses song yet i really want to learn some blues, and i started learning pride and joy and some blues soloing and it has been super fun but i'm not entirely sure.

Will a stratocaster be able to play some rock songs like AC/DC and GNR
Last edited by steppinfear at Apr 26, 2016,
If you aren't sure what genre you would be sticking with, a Strat or Tele are great choices in my opinion. Either of those can play most genres well enough. Obviously you won't get brutal Meshugga type riffs without humbuckers, but then again you won't exactly be playing convincing blues tones with EMG's and whatnot either.

There's a good reason you see Strats (and to a similar extent Teles) in every genre. They are versatile as can be, especially a HSS strat. Please note that I am a huge Fender fan so I am slightly biased!
strat guy myself but honestly they wouldn't be my first choice for G&R or AC/DC. even the ones with a bridge humbucker may not really give you either of those sounds (but would work if nailing it isn't an issue. i'd look at a used PRS as many of those have a trem and humbuckers and would be a better compromise to getting the sounds of the bands you mentioned. there is a LP style model available that should fall in your price range used.
Quote by steppinfear
Currently, i'm trying to buy a second guitar, first guitar i bought was a vintage v100 les paul but it currently needs a setup and fret dressing (it was an absolutely great beginner guitar)
Now i'm trying to find a guitar which has some good humbuckers with coil split and i also want a tremolo to experiment but i can't really find any good guitars that have this. My budget is currently under £400.

Will a stratocaster be able to play some rock songs like AC/DC and GNR

You are, unfortunately, across the pond.
On this side we have Agiles' AL series guitars, some of which have turned up with Floyds. I have several of these, including an AL 2000 Floyd and an AL 3100 Floyd, both of which have (unsurprisingly) Floyd Rose trems and (surprisingly) 24 frets rather than the usual 22 frets. The cheaper of the two is the 2000 series and has a 24 fret neck and a "tilted" neck heel that's almost as effective as Gibson's Axcess heck heel in making working at the higher fret levels comfortable. There may be similar guitars from LTD -- worth a look.
Here's an option: the Fret-King Esprit V.
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p2594.html

I have an older, P90 version of this guitar, made of mahogany, not agathis. Lots of fun, this guitar.

Instead of going with the typical binary coil split found on most HH guitars that split, Fret-King uses the Wilkinson Vari-Coil system: the more you turn the knob, the more like a singlecoil your HBs will sound & behave. So you get a range of tones, not just one or the other.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
For 400 quid you should be able to find a nice used PRS SE in whatever shape takes your fancy.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/prs-se-custom-24-trade-sell-/1166400410

I would buy this, like right now.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I love the versatility of an HSS strat, but GnR and AC/DC seem to run HH configurations. With the kind of money you're wiling to spend, the PRS SE should definitely be on the shortlist. The one suggested has coil spits, which would help when trying SRV stuff.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
If you can get a shot of one, try this.

No coil split, but it's HH, has a trem(and the trem on my SE Custom beat the one on my MIM Strat all to hell), LP shape and is right in your budget.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I have coil splits on two of my Les Paul's and personally never use them but I also have a Tele and a Strat so if I wanted that kind of tone I would use one of them. I am looking to buy an Epi Trans Blue myself but I want the Tribute modal with the 57 Classic pickups. I'll add a Bigsby myself. (I note that Slash and Angus don't have trems on their guitars but I like Bigsby's on a Les Paul for a nice subtle vibrato.) That PRS SE recommendation looks nice. Good luck. Nice choice of guitars.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 27, 2016,
Quote by bjgrifter
I love the versatility of an HSS strat, but GnR and AC/DC seem to run HH configurations. With the kind of money you're wiling to spend, the PRS SE should definitely be on the shortlist. The one suggested has coil spits, which would help when trying SRV stuff.

I'd agree with HH. Sadly, most HH guitars won't have neck profiles ideal for Stevie Ray's thumb shenanigans, but on the plus side the extra mids of a humbucker will help you get in his kind of ballpark tonally without a Tubescreamer mid boost.

HSS Strats are cool if that's your thing, but Slash spends so much of his time with his neck humbucker I think it'd be silly to go down the HSS route for GNR.
If you want coil splitting and a wang bar look for a Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top Pro/FX. HH configuration with coil splitting and a Floyd Rose. I own one my self and love it. It is also one of the few guitars with splittable pickups that sounds better in single coil mode then humbucker mode. The only way to find out if any guitar feels good in hand is well....put your hands on it. Sitting in the living room surfing online music stores is the worse way to shop. Every guitar player should go to music stores and play everything you can get your grubby paws on. Even if the look might not spark interest a guitar can sound and play amazingly enough that the cosmetics will just grow on you.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
The discontinued Godin Core HB would be a good option- LP styling, Canadian workmanship, 2 relatively high-output passive HBs (not splitting, but they ARE 4 pair wire, so you can modify the guitars to do that).

Here's a couple I found on Reverb.com that are in your price range AND whose sellers are willing to ship to the UK:
https://reverb.com/item/1270858-godin-core-hb-gloss-maple-top-lightburst#policies-tab
https://reverb.com/item/940038-godin-core-hb-lightburst#policies-tab
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 28, 2016,