I'm in need of a guitar, preferably a Jackson/Mustaine style V, that's got 24 frets but with a 24.75" scale length. I play lead guitar in a thrash metal band and on my guitar with a 25.5" length it's very tough for me to play solos on it, on my 24.75" guitar I can play solos I can't play on my 25.5". It's pretty difficult finding something with 24 frets that's a shorter length other than LTD's EC series. Any ideas?
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Budget, location, new or used?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Right now my budget is probably somewhere up to $600 used and I'm in the U.S.
BC Rich has some guitars that might fight the bill. not sure about the V style axes but a Mockingbird would have 24.6" scale so that might work (dave did use one back in his metallica days)
Used LTD DV-8. Had one, great guitar. Went broke and sold it, but miss it.

Try to get it without the active pup set.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Older Carvins are 24.75" scale with 24 frets on their neck-through superstrat style guitars. After about '93, they bumped the scale slightly to 25" (not 25.5"), but the neck-through superstrats are still 24-fret.

Current versions are being built under the Kiesel/Carvin name http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/dc127 but older used ones will be Carvin. Extremely high quality if you buy them factory one-off custom-to-you new.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
BC Rich has some guitars that might fight the bill. not sure about the V style axes but a Mockingbird would have 24.6" scale so that might work (dave did use one back in his metallica days)

I don't think Dave Mustaine has ever used a Mockingbird. He was seen A lot with the Perfect 10 Bich, But I don't think I've ever seen him play a Mockingbird.

My Washburn WV16GBG1 Anarchy V is 24.75
Quote by 21GunSalute
Used LTD DV-8. Had one, great guitar. Went broke and sold it, but miss it.

Try to get it without the active pup set.

I said NOT a 25.5" scale
Why do you find playing on a 25.5" scale so hard?

There's only a 3/4" difference between it and a Gibson scale. That's really only a marginal difference. Given that 25.5 is by far the most common scale length you'll find guitars having, I suggest that you're better off getting used to it rather than using a shorter scale as a crutch.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 26, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why do you find playing on a 25.5" scale so hard?

There's only a 3/4" difference between it and a Gibson scale. That's really only a marginal difference. Given that 25.5 is by far the most common scale length you'll find guitars having, I suggest that you're better off getting used to it rather than using a shorter scale as a crutch.

Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by n3cr0p57
Those are all 25.5. He clearly stated he was looking for 24.75

Ack! Forgot to check.

Hmmm...24 frets at 24.75" scale is going to be a hard to find combo. Especially in a V.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by n3cr0p57
I don't think Dave Mustaine has ever used a Mockingbird. He was seen A lot with the Perfect 10 Bich, But I don't think I've ever seen him play a Mockingbird.

My Washburn WV16GBG1 Anarchy V is 24.75

looks like a Mockingbird on the cover of Megadeth Anthology Set The World On Fire
I think the difficulty is in your head to be honest, I go from a 24.75 LP to a 25.5 Strat to a 7 string and don't really notice between any of them as long as I don't think about it.

The issues are more caused by the differences in neck heels and therefore upper fret access than differences in fretboard length and (in the case of the 7 string) width.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
I've played nothing but 25.5" guitars ever since I started playing and I play a 7 string 25.5" and a 5 string bass with like a 34" scale but for some reason I can reach everything better on my guitar with the shorter scale
Ltd ex 400 explorer shape but pointy enough.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Gibson v? Granted a little bit different looking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo
looks like a Mockingbird on the cover of Megadeth Anthology Set The World On Fire

Hard to tell from the cover art, But you may very well be right.

I was going to suggest the new Epiphone Brent Hinds V, but it's not pointy enough, and only 22 frets.
Last edited by n3cr0p57 at Apr 27, 2016,
I think that the easiest solution to OP's problem would be simply using lighter strings on 25,5" scale guitars. A pointy King V style guitar would be hard to find outside custom shop.
Last edited by tsc86 at Apr 27, 2016,
Not 24.75 but the 90's Jackson King V's can be found hovering around $300 or so give or take depending on condition that would leave some meat on the bone for a pickup upgrade, even better the neck-thru "Pro" series, if you can find one would probably still be in your budget and not rquire upgrades.

I have a black 93 King V Professional series upgraded with an OFR and EMG's, it's not as nice as a neck-thru "Pro" but it is a thrash machine.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

24 frets. 24.75 scale. I jammed a set of active EMGs in it. Quite a nice little guitar if you can find one.

I bought mine used, mint condition. He was asking $500 cdn w/hardcase. I told him he was crazy, no one in this area is going to pay that for it. I offered him $250, which he declined. Six months later still for sale, I gave him $160.