My amp is making a sort of weird buzz/hum whenever I plug it into any of my pedals which are: Crybaby 535Q wah, Behringer em600, and Boss sd1. My amp is a Fender Mustang II on a clean tone. I tried each pedal with nothing else. My amp is plugged directly into the wall. I tried using both an adapter and 9v battery in each of the pedals. When I turn down my guitar or the level knob on each of the pedals, it still will not go away. I have tried a few different cables, so it proably isn't a bad cable, and I have no electronics plugged in nearby.
I have a much smaller amp that I keep as a backup in case of something like this. When I hook up the pedal with just my guitar (which has 3 single coil pickups, and I have tried setting the pickup selector to positions 2 and 4) and my smaller amp, there is none of that irritating hum/buzz. I would prefer not to have to use that amp because it's really quiet. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Last edited by nate8olson at Apr 27, 2016,
Try plugging your guitar into just one pedal at a time, and see if each of them hum when they are by themselves. Also check your power supply to see if you have enough power, and proper polarities.
Quote by esky15
Try plugging your guitar into just one pedal at a time, and see if each of them hum when they are by themselves. Also check your power supply to see if you have enough power, and proper polarities.

Actually, each individual pedal is making a very loud buzz by itself (not sure if the title is clear or not). As for my power supply, I have 9volt batteries in each of them now, but I have also tried an AC adapter (both give the same buzz).
Sounds like a bad cable or dirty jacks if you have isolated the power.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Sounds like a bad cable or dirty jacks if you have isolated the power.

Well I doubt it is the cables, because I tried several cables (as stated in the post). I dont believe it is the jacks either because one of the pedals is 5 months old, one is slightly newer, and the third is brand new (2 days old). All of them make a buzzing sound, including the 2-day-old one (which is true bypass, so it preserves the signal integrity).
Strats are noisy even in position 2 and 4. Their noise cancelling capability is not as effective as a humbucker. So trying a different guitar would be good for isolating the problem.

If the spare amp is so quiet that you do not like using it, maybe then the noise is not really disappearing, maybe it is so quiet that you cannot hear it, but it is still there!

If you could try another guitar with your setup, it would be good to eliminate the guitar from the cause.

Then the next step would be, to see if it is really the amp or 'dirty' power. Start by plugging your setup at a different place in your house (different story or different area). If the noise is still present then try taking your stuff at a friends house (preferably not next door or same street). If the sound is still there then you may wish to get your amp seen by a professional. If the noise goes away then you have dirty power. And you have to address that problem.
Quote by nate8olson
Actually, each individual pedal is making a very loud buzz by itself (not sure if the title is clear or not). As for my power supply, I have 9volt batteries in each of them now, but I have also tried an AC adapter (both give the same buzz).

Ah yes lol. I missed the individual part.

Can you take a video, or audio clip?
Quote by Gab_Azz
Strats are noisy even in position 2 and 4. Their noise cancelling capability is not as effective as a humbucker. So trying a different guitar would be good for isolating the problem.

If the spare amp is so quiet that you do not like using it, maybe then the noise is not really disappearing, maybe it is so quiet that you cannot hear it, but it is still there!

If you could try another guitar with your setup, it would be good to eliminate the guitar from the cause.

Then the next step would be, to see if it is really the amp or 'dirty' power. Start by plugging your setup at a different place in your house (different story or different area). If the noise is still present then try taking your stuff at a friends house (preferably not next door or same street). If the sound is still there then you may wish to get your amp seen by a professional. If the noise goes away then you have dirty power. And you have to address that problem.

Well, it appears you were right about the smaller amp being too quiet to hear the buzz. I got the volume up a bit higher and it started doing the same thing as the big amp. I haven't taken it somewhere else, because I don't have a place to take it to test it, but I will keep looking.
Quote by esky15
Ah yes lol. I missed the individual part.

Can you take a video, or audio clip?

No problem, I've attached a video, and there was one thing I forgot to mention. When I turn the treble all the way down and bass all the way up the buzz decreases significantly.

Edit: Here is the video- https://vimeo.com/164772994. Things to note: The drive on the overdrive pedal is at 0, otherwise it is so much worse, and if I leave them on past that amount of time then the high pitched squeal will spike. I also didn't even add in the delay pedal to the chain because it is unbearably loud (however the delay pedal has pretty much no buzz by itself).
Last edited by nate8olson at Apr 29, 2016,
Quote by nate8olson
Well, it appears you were right about the smaller amp being too quiet to hear the buzz. I got the volume up a bit higher and it started doing the same thing as the big amp. I haven't taken it somewhere else, because I don't have a place to take it to test it, but I will keep looking.

So your guitar into the small amp has also the noise even without pedals?

Most likely it is the guitar noise. If the guitar middle pickup is not reverse wound, it is useless to try positions 2 and 4. If you could try a different guitar it would be good. If all this fails than you should address the dirty power issue.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Apr 29, 2016,
Quote by Gab_Azz
So your guitar into the small amp has also the noise even without pedals?

Most likely it is the guitar noise. If the guitar middle pickup is not reverse wound, it is useless to try positions 2 and 4. If you could try a different guitar it would be good. If all this fails than you should address the dirty power issue.

Actually the noise only happens when I have a pedal set up, on both amps, so I am guessing it is a problem with my pedals.
What are your amps? You could rule out dirty pedals by bringing up preamp gain on the amps if you can. If it gets noisy then it is most likely the guitar.

If we are talking single coil Fender - then most likely it is the guitar. You could possibly change the pickups to something less noisy, I like Lace Sensors single coils on Fender and modded all my strat that way (back when I had strats).

Edit:
BTW - listening to the noises, not sure about the wah but the distortion/overdrive is about normal. The wah might be a touch noisier than usual but it seems normal as well.
Noise gate or pickup change will fix some of that.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 29, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
What are your amps? You could rule out dirty pedals by bringing up preamp gain on the amps if you can. If it gets noisy then it is most likely the guitar.

If we are talking single coil Fender - then most likely it is the guitar. You could possibly change the pickups to something less noisy, I like Lace Sensors single coils on Fender and modded all my strat that way (back when I had strats).

Edit:
BTW - listening to the noises, not sure about the wah but the distortion/overdrive is about normal. The wah might be a touch noisier than usual but it seems normal as well.
Noise gate or pickup change will fix some of that.

I have vintage noiseless pickups on my strat, and I thought those were pretty good. Actually, just to see what would happen, I plugged all of my pedals in with adapters in the order: wah, overdrive, echo, and for some reason most of the buzzing went away (about a third of it comes back when I turn on the wah, though). I was actually thinking about getting a noise gate, just in case this problem occured again. Any suggestions for a noise gate for someone on a budget?
If you are getting the noise when any pedal is connected, then tone of the pedals is the problem or all of them. I would think that it is not a pedal problem, the problem is from the guitar or power. Simply the pedals are amplifying the problem.

If you try to fix such problem with a noise suppressor it would be used incorrectly and not very effectively.

Try searching for ground loop hum problems/ hum eliminators.

BTW is the guitar earthed correctly?
It could be a ground problem. Try it in a different room, or in a different building entirely (if you can). I got a buzz for years, but it only affected my amp in one room of a house I was renting. Come to think of it, when I touched anything metal in that room, I got zapped. Good thing I moved out, huh?
Dave @ Seymour Duncan