Hello,

I used to be passionate about playing guitar but ended up playing less and less over the years. Recently I picked up my guitar and tried to play some music and the string broke when I did a 1.5-2 full step bend. The truth is that my strings were rusty too.

I will be getting new strings tomorrow. Can someone please suggest string gauge that'll be appropriate?

My guitar: Ibanez GRG170DX.
Type of music I love to play: Metal, neoclassical metal, actually predominantly metal shredding. I also do play random stuff but I want the thing to be set up for my first preference, metal.
Amps/Effects: My PodXTLive has gone full ****** at the moment so I just use a small marshall MG10CF (10W) amp.
Strings are really a preference thing. This lighter the gauge, the easier bends and vibrato will be, but you're gonna want a little heavier if you'll be tuning down a bunch.
Quote by esky15
Strings are really a preference thing. This lighter the gauge, the easier bends and vibrato will be, but you're gonna want a little heavier if you'll be tuning down a bunch.

Are there medium gauges? Sounds like that might help with heavy riffing and also won't make bends too hard to do. I don't know the lingo. Are they classified as medium,light,strong?
Here's an article from MF that goes into it:

http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-buying-guides/how-to-choose-the-right-strings-for-your-electric-guitar

Most of the questions you have about strings can be found there.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's not as simple as just putting on any random set of strings. When you change the gauge of strings, you have to make adjustments to the instrument. More than likely, your guitar came with .009 - .042 gauge strings. You could probably bump up to a .010 - .046 without much trouble, but, I wouldn't use a heavier gauge than those unless you are prepared to have your guitar set up.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
It's not as simple as just putting on any random set of strings. When you change the gauge of strings, you have to make adjustments to the instrument. More than likely, your guitar came with .009 - .042 gauge strings. You could probably bump up to a .010 - .046 without much trouble, but, I wouldn't use a heavier gauge than those unless you are prepared to have your guitar set up.

I'll have that done by technicians. I want them to clean, re-string, set up the guitar to a moderately low action.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Dave Murray uses 9 gauge EB Slinky's I think, so that is obviously the best!

Don't know how heavy or light that is. But love Dave and his playing.
Quote by Bandit King
Hello,

I used to be passionate about playing guitar but ended up playing less and less over the years. Recently I picked up my guitar and tried to play some music and the string broke when I did a 1.5-2 full step bend. The truth is that my strings were rusty too.

I will be getting new strings tomorrow. Can someone please suggest string gauge that'll be appropriate?

My guitar: Ibanez GRG170DX.
Type of music I love to play: Metal, neoclassical metal, actually predominantly metal shredding. I also do play random stuff but I want the thing to be set up for my first preference, metal.
Amps/Effects: My PodXTLive has gone full ****** at the moment so I just use a small marshall MG10CF (10W) amp.

If you're not drop tuning a lot, I'd recommend 9's. Some neoclassical players, like Ygnwe and Uli John Roth even use 8's.

Just get the basic Daddario set - they're cheap and reliable.

Ignore all advertisements and endorsements when it comes to strings - they have a marginal impact on tone. What you want is to stick with the same set consistently after a setup so that your guitar setup remains as solid as possible.
Last edited by reverb66 at Apr 27, 2016,
Quote by reverb66
If you're not drop tuning a lot, I'd recommend 9's. Some neoclassical players, like Ygnwe and Uli John Roth even use 8's.

Just get the basic Daddario set - they're cheap and reliable.

Ignore all advertisements and endorsements when it comes to strings - they have a marginal impact on tone. What you want is to stick with the same set consistently after a setup so that your guitar setup remains as solid as possible.

Most of the time I play in standard tuning. However, sometimes I do have to drop. Like playing LOG or Symphony X or COB etc.

As for the brand, I'll have to stick to whatever is locally available. So I'm better of going by the size/gauge.
Quote by Bandit King
Most of the time I play in standard tuning. However, sometimes I do have to drop. Like playing LOG or Symphony X or COB etc.

As for the brand, I'll have to stick to whatever is locally available. So I'm better of going by the size/gauge.

9-42's or 10-46's will work fine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EB2221?adpos=1o4&creative=55397720281&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwxoG5BRCC7ezlzNmR8HUSJAAre36jLAjh8gMnsu3QfpE807W7nVbN9WVlGUCyt91VvgkhbRoCD6Lw_wcB
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If you were not playing for some time, I would recommend taking it to the store for a setup unless you know how to set the guitar up. Having your instrument set by a professional will may playing more enjoyable as the guitar would 'feel' better. I recommend gauge 9 if you are planning on 2 step bends and would occasionally downtune.
Quote by Gab_Azz
If you were not playing for some time, I would recommend taking it to the store for a setup unless you know how to set the guitar up. Having your instrument set by a professional will may playing more enjoyable as the guitar would 'feel' better. I recommend gauge 9 if you are planning on 2 step bends and would occasionally downtune.

Got these put on:

They were my only option. Things are feeling kinda.....mmm.. soft! The tension on the strings feel low. No fret buzz at all. The strings move effortlessly. But damn! Bends are soooooooooooo freakin easy.
Awesome- use these very strings. I also don't want to work that hard when I play. If you decided to go up to 10s later on, prepare to do a minor setup on your guitar, as even going up a small amount brings everything out of balance (even if slightly).
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
Awesome- use these very strings. I also don't want to work that hard when I play. If you decided to go up to 10s later on, prepare to do a minor setup on your guitar, as even going up a small amount brings everything out of balance (even if slightly).

Sure! Let me see if I can get used to them. I'm used to using more power while picking and that doesn't go well with these strings. Well, at least now I know what gauge I have on. But those bends though!
When you wear out these strings, get a different set. Do this process until you find what you like. You can experiment with material (I prefer plain steel ones) not only gauge. When you find what you like, D'Addario I believe they have bundle sets so you buy 3 set of stings or even more. These are cheaper than buying a pack each time.

I mentioned D'Addario as they are the one you got, and I have used 3packs from them. Other Companies I believe have similar packages too.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Apr 29, 2016,