I purchased the new 2016 gibson sg standard and I like it. I have played a guitar with 57 pickups and think I like that sound better. I have 30 days to change mind about purchase. I play through a DSL40C and I am new at playing. I like 80's and 90's rock, but also like blues and other genres. Should I keep the SG or go with the Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Traditional Classic. Below are specs of gibson LP and the link to zzsounds site. Please give me any advice you can on what you would do.

- Top Wood: 2 Piece Plain Maple
- Back Wood: Mahogany
- Weight Relief: Traditional Weight Relief
- Top Binding: Cream
- Neck: Mahogany
- Neck Shape: 60's Slim Taper
- Peghead Inlay: Mother of Pearl
- Nut Type: Graph Tech
- Neck Joint: 16th Fret
- Neck Joint Angle: 5.0
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Scale Length: 24 3/4"
- Number of Frets: 22
- Neck Binding: Cream
- Side dots: Black
- Inlay: Trapezoid
- Width at Nut: 1.695
- Width at End Of Board: 2.260
- Finish: All nitrocellulose lacquer (top, back and sides)
- Decal Silkscreen: GOLD LES PAUL MODEL
- Hardware: Nickel
- Tuners: G FORCE Nickel
- Knobs: Gold Top Hat
- Bridge: Nickel Non-Wire ABR
- Tailpiece: Nickel Stop Bar
- Toggle Switch Knob Color: Cream
- Jack Plate: Cream
- Electronics: Hand wired 2 Volume 2 Tone with orange drops (no coil tap)
- Neck Pickup: 57 Classic
- Bridge Pickup: 57 Classic
- Pick up Covers: Nickel
- Pickup Trim Rings: Cream
- Case: Brown Hardshell

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCSA15

Thank you all very much for any help....
Personal preferences. I personally prefer LP's sound and aesthetic to that of SG's, though frankly I'm a strat/superstrat kind of guy.

Both should have pretty decent resell value and so on.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Go with the guitar that feels right to you, if the LP does it for u with playability and aestheticly, I think you have your answer, I personally like the LP shape more, and if it sounds right to you then I'd pull the trigger on it

Just my 2¢
Problem is that there is not one to play. It is an exclusive so you can't find it in stores to try out
Mmmm that is a tough call, could always just swap the pups out for 57's. If u r happy with the feeling of the SG that's what I'd do.

Just gotta do what feels right to you, either way u r ending up with a great guitar!!
Here's something: flip a coin. Then before looking at which side landed, think about which side you want to see. In this situation there is no quantitative measure to go off of, just your feelings.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I wouldn't get the Les Paul just because you like the pickups more. Pickups are an easy change. And for the price of Gibson pickups, you can get boutique pickups. Different pickups aren't worth the $660 price difference. It's not even like the pickups in the SG are bad. If you liked LPs more than SGs, then it's worth it. But if not, keep the SG.
How about you play them before you do anything else?

Quote by JELIFISH19
I wouldn't get the Les Paul just because you like the pickups more. Pickups are an easy change. And for the price of Gibson pickups, you can get boutique pickups. Different pickups aren't worth the $660 price difference. It's not even like the pickups in the SG are bad. If you liked LPs more than SGs, then it's worth it. But if not, keep the SG.

Also, this. You can get a set of Bareknuckle Mules for barely any more than a set of '57 Classics.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
This really is a matter of preference but myself I prefer the SG shape, I would would keep the SG and upgrade the pickups, it will really boil down to which shape pleases you aesthetically.

Since you can't get your hands on the LP for a test drive and you know the SG feels and plays good, unless you like the LP shape better then I would upgrade the pups and keep the SG.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The neck on that Les Paul is listed as a 60s slim taper neck. There are quite a few Gibson models that are sold with one so just because you can't try that particular Les Paul doesn't mean you can't go to the store and find a similar one to try. At least that way, you will be able to somewhat get an idea of how the Traditional you want will play compared to the SG.

That being said, if you like your current guitar and you just don't like the pickups then I agree with what has been posted. Just swap the pickups out because it's not the easiest to replace a guitar you actually like.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I personally prefer Les Paul style guitars to SG.
Just swap the pickups if those aren't satisfactory to you, like others have said...
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

get the telecaster.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
If you are new to playing, and have not tried an LP before, be prepared for a possible significant weight difference - the LP being heavier. You will also notice that the LP has the neck mounted on its body further towards the bridge, bringing your chording/playing hand and arm closer to your body. This might affect how comfortable you feel while playing. See if you can try an LP before exchanging.
The les paul also comes with a real case, SG came with gig bag, and it comes with Gforce tuner and the 57s. Does the heavier more wood at to the tone on the LP?
Quote by Giantsfan
The les paul also comes with a real case, SG came with gig bag, and it comes with Gforce tuner and the 57s. Does the heavier more wood at to the tone on the LP?

Well they do sound different even with the same puckups so something changes the tone........
Maybe the chambering in the LP.
Quote by Giantsfan

I don't think it's the wood itself that makes the difference, I think it's the way that SG's are constructed compared to LP's. SG's typically have a big swimming pool route under the pickups and I think that makes the majority of the difference between how an SG sounds different from an LP.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee