Hey whats up guys im about to buy a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab off a friend to go with my EVH 5150iii 50 watt. Ive been playing it out of a MG series marshall 4x12 but the mesa seems to sound alot better when I tried it out. What do you guys prefer to use when playing or maybe any other suggestions on 2x12 cabs I should check out before i buy this one? Thanks
A 2x12 is more than loud enough for any situation. Mesa cabs are damn good, so if can get a good deal on it I say go for, of course if you like the way it sounds with your amp. In the end it's a matter of preference.
There are lots of other cabs you may try before you decide, such as Orange, I hear that Avatar makes great cabs. The brand name is not important it all comes down to the cab's construction - build quality, dimensions and materials, i.e. good plywood, not MDF, OSB or other particle board, and the other thing being the speakers.
I've always liked a 2x12, a 4x12 will move more air for a heavier bass response, that's the main difference. That said, my 1967 Kustom 2x12 cab gets all the bass I need if the amp will do it. There is no difference in volume, that's a function of the amp and what kind of wattage it puts out.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Exactly, it all comes down to the criteria I said before. There are even some 1x12 cabs that are audibly louder tham a typical 4x12, sound just as good and produce all the low end you'd expect from a bigger cab.
Other suggestions?

I have two vertical Engl 2x12 cabs and they are really excellent build quality. Plus they sound great with different speakers - one of mine is loaded with V30s (ex-factory), the other one with K100s (my mod). And they are cheaper than Mesa cabs, at least here in EU.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
I have a couple 2x12s that I enjoy swapping speakers in. I bought the 4x12 because the price was great and because I wanted to have an even better bass response, which it provided. However, I still use the 2x12s all the time. They are plenty loud enough.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
4x12's sound better than 2x12 or 1x12's in my opinion .... sound fuller even at low volumes .... if you have the room I would go 4x12 and not look back
Quote by Rookd
Hey whats up guys im about to buy a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab off a friend to go with my EVH 5150iii 50 watt. Ive been playing it out of a MG series marshall 4x12 but the mesa seems to sound alot better when I tried it out. What do you guys prefer to use when playing or maybe any other suggestions on 2x12 cabs I should check out before i buy this one? Thanks

My 4x12s have been in storage for the last few years, and come out only when we need stage decoration. Sound wise, there's no benefit, and they're tougher to transport as well. You should be more than good with that 2x12. For me, it's about the speakers that are in it; I've used 2x12s with V30's and with Eminence Delta ProA's. The V30's are great for guitar "lead" stuff, and cabinets designed with the right porting and sizing for the Deltas have a lot more bass response (but you need the power to run them properly at gigging volume).
I have a 4x12 for both studio and live performances, and to be honest, sometimes I wish I had a 2x12 - the ease of portability counts for a lot live. Yeah the 4x12 has the iconic 'holy shit!' look about it, but sometimes I want to be able to actually you know, take friends/girlfriend to the gig rather than having every seat in the car filled by 4x12 and other gear.

Sure X-splitting a 4x12 with vintage and greenbacks is fucking cool and sounds rad, but literally only myself and the bassist can appreciate it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Never used a 412 personally, but I have the EVH 5150 iii 50watt paired with an Orange PPC212 cabinet and I love it. The Mesa cabs are very good as well so I think that would be a fine choice.
That Mesa 2x12 sounded much better than the MG 4x12 w/your amp, because it's a superior cab all around - better speakers, construction...everything! It's definitely worth considering if you can get it for a good deal.

As far as the 2x12 vs 4x12 argument goes, I like the portability of 2x12's, but 4x12's do have a bigger bass response/push more air live. I've used both cab types live w/plenty of volume to spare. I've used both in the studio w/no real detectable difference.

Basically, a 2x12 will get the job done, and a 4x12 has some extra mojo to it if you're okay with hauling it around for gigs (Or hire a roadie! )
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus

As far as the 2x12 vs 4x12 argument goes, I like the portability of 2x12's, but 4x12's do have a bigger bass response/push more air live. I've used both cab types live w/plenty of volume to spare. I've used both in the studio w/no real detectable difference.

Basically, a 2x12 will get the job done, and a 4x12 has some extra mojo to it

My experience is different from yours.

I don't think 4x12s have "extra mojo" and I can pretty much prove that 4x12s don't offer "bigger bass response," either. 4x12s used live beam ice-pick treble on-axis while sounding completely different off-axis. The joke has always been that as you turned up a Marshall, the bass disappeared, because at volume a 100W Marshall head doesn't have enough power to push bottom end with four speakers. Steve Lukather had to add a 600W subwoofer with a 15" sub in a big ported enclosure to get bottom end (Google the ISP Technologies Vector SL) while using a single 4x12 cabinet. I ended up building a pair of 2x12s using Eminence Delta ProA's and got plenty of bass out of those, but the Deltas have a 52Hz resonant frequency, are designed to be used in a ported cabinet, and will handle up to 400W each. I ran the pair of cabinets with a 1500W Carvin DCM1540L. No issues with bottom end there.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by tsc86
A 2x12 is more than loud enough for any situation. Mesa cabs are damn good, so if can get a good deal on it I say go for, of course if you like the way it sounds with your amp. In the end it's a matter of preference.
There are lots of other cabs you may try before you decide, such as Orange, I hear that Avatar makes great cabs. The brand name is not important it all comes down to the cab's construction - build quality, dimensions and materials, i.e. good plywood, not MDF, OSB or other particle board, and the other thing being the speakers.

^ Avatars are great. The quality of build is exceptional. You get to customize everything you want about it also.

I like 2x12s more just because they're easier to move around and they take up less space around the house.
Just going to add that because 2x12 cabs are pretty fashionable these days (okay not just fashionable... they are lighter, sound great, and take up less space), a lot of folks are dumping their 4x12 cabs for 'cheap' prices on the used market. If saving some cash is a factor, and you don't mind lugging around a bigger cab... scrounge around in the used gear market for a 4x12. Seems odd that a used Mesa 2x12 would cost more than a 4x12, but trends dictate the market.

I should add, this is what I've noticed in my region. YMMV.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
a lot of folks are dumping their 4x12 cabs for 'cheap' prices on the used market.

I should add, this is what I've noticed in my region. YMMV.

This has been the case for about a decade, now. I picked up a couple of very nice 4x12s for $200 each (V30's aboard) just about 10 years ago, and they've remained pretty inexpensive in the SoCal area.

I think there are a lot of factors involved, including the size of the vehicle necessary to cart them around, the sound guys at the venues, etc. They're a bit like PA gear, too, in that you can sell them locally, but your customer base is sometimes limited and they're really not convenient to ship. They're also a storage issue. I've exceeded the value of these cabinets in storage costs over time.

They're actually a classic white elephant (the king gave rare white elephants as gifts to those who had fallen OUT of his favor. They couldn't get rid of them without offending the king, and the costs to feed and keep them soon bankrupted them). I *gave* a 4x12 to a friend of mine who kept rattling on about what a superior cabinet they were. He eventually gave it away, too, and was too embarrassed to tell me he'd done so.
Last edited by dspellman at May 1, 2016,
send your 4x12's too me ......

my 4x12 has wheels , my 2x12's don't ,easier to roll a 4x12 than carry a 2x12 .....

my 4x12 will "roll" into my Honda Fit or PT cruiser , the 2x12 has to be lifted .... again easier to get the 4x12 in than the 2x12

side by side , 4x12's sound better than any of my 2x12's , don't see how you guys can't hear the difference but I do
Quote by Fumble fingers

side by side , 4x12's sound better than any of my 2x12's , don't see how you guys can't hear the difference but I do

Your ears are special.
Quote by dspellman
Your ears are special.

Must be.

A different cab always sounds different. A Marshall 4x12 with v30 isn't going to sound exactly the same as a Mesa 4z12 with v30 despite the same speaker configuration.
A the and of the day it all comes down to preference. For example my favourite cab is an oversized 2x12 cab (basically the size of an typical 4x12), the low end is incredible.

As for the icepicky highs on 4x12, that's why I always bought straight 4x12 not slant.
Quote by Fumble fingers
send your 4x12's too me ......

my 4x12 has wheels , my 2x12's don't ,easier to roll a 4x12 than carry a 2x12 .....

my 4x12 will "roll" into my Honda Fit or PT cruiser , the 2x12 has to be lifted .... again easier to get the 4x12 in than the 2x12

Ever try to roll a 4x12 up stairs?
You can also put wheels on a 2x12, you know...
Quote by tsc86

As for the icepicky highs on 4x12, that's why I always bought straight 4x12 not slant.

Doesn't make a difference, slat or straight. Same icepick treble on axis. It's a physics thing.
I have a Mesa Roadster closed back V30 2X12 combo, and a Peavey 6505 + 120 watt with a 4X12 Loaded with Eminence Patriots, no huge difference in low end , even when I play the Mesa through the 4X12 instead of the 2X12.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Very nice. What speakers are in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Rookd
So unfortunately I didnt get the mesa cab but instead I got a 2x12 Vertical Rivera Cab. Has anyone owned or played one before? I think it sounds great I cant find alot of info on it it. I cant figure out how to put pics in this text its weird otherwise I would!

You can upload your pictures into a service like Photobucket. Then copy and paste the IMG files they produce for you. Some have editors that will allow you to crop your images, resize them and work over color and brightness as well. Does your Rivera look like this one?

<EDIT: Oops -- just noticed you finally figured out the photo thing on your own>
Last edited by dspellman at May 23, 2016,
dspellman haha yes!! I think its the same one! Do you know much about it? I tried researching a little bit but couldn't find much ive tried it with a 5150iii and a old crappy peavey valveking100 head and its awesome! I used to have a mini marshall mg and the rivera is just wayyy better all around lol how do you like yours??
The good news about an oversize 2x12 is that a vertical (like yours) will give you decent dispersion of treble and a pretty solid bottom end (assuming you have enough power to drive the low notes, or are listening to it at low levels). I have a closed back ported 2x12 with a 50W tube (6L6) amp built in, and it's pretty serious.

The bad news, of course, is that they're usually 2/3 to 3/4 the size and weight of a 4x12, so you're not reducing your footprint nor enhancing your lugability much.
Quote by Cathbard
Very nice. What speakers are in it?

When I ordered mine, Rivera 212s had the following speaker options: Celestion Vintage 30s, 70th Anniversary G12H-30s, G12T-75s, and K100s. Stock came with V30s.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 11, 2016,