Page 1 of 2
Sauce

Sydney Morning Herald reports that Australia now has more guns than before its gun law reform after the Port Arthur Massacre.

The "Gun lobby" has also grown in power due to "unintended consequences" of the reform since it is easier to get a gun if you are an active member in a gun club.

Gun ownership per household is down, gun violence is down, but there's more guns.

What are your thoughts on this?

Even with this knowledge it sounds like it would be in the NRA's interest to follow suit for the U.S. right? More power for them, more guns in hands of the right people ("sensible gun owners").
Still not as impressive as THESE guns *flexes*.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Still not as impressive as THESE guns *flexes*.

*takes out microscope*

Wow, those are an absolute leap forward in nanotechnology!
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by Rebel Scum
Even with this knowledge it sounds like it would be in the NRA's interest to follow suit for the U.S. right? More power for them, more guns in hands of the right people ("sensible gun owners").

If anything, you can argue that it arms the fanatics, as the lower guns per household, in conjunction with the quantity of guns implies that some stockpiling may be in effect.

There are many in the US that own guns responsibly that don't align with the NRA. This concept doesn't really suggest much to imply this is a better alternative to an outright ban.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Also as someone who knows many many people that own legally acquired firearms in Australia, and many that own multiple legal firearms, I really can't see this boiling over any time soon, if ever.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I think the main thing here is that Australia has very few Americans.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Rebel Scum
Sauce

Sydney Morning Herald reports that Australia now has more guns than before its gun law reform after the Port Arthur Massacre.

The "Gun lobby" has also grown in power due to "unintended consequences" of the reform since it is easier to get a gun if you are an active member in a gun club.

Gun ownership per household is down, gun violence is down, but there's more guns.

What are your thoughts on this?

It is easier to get a gun if you are an active member of a gun club. BUT

Gun clubs over here don't let in every Tom, Dick and Harry, and members who don't align with safe practices etc are often booted out of clubs. Lots of gun clubs now have a pretty rigorous vetting process where they'll do background checks into potential applicants to determine if they should be allowed into their club.
Quote by JamSessionFreak

And we don't ever plan on changing that.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Also as someone who knows many many people that own legally acquired firearms in Australia, and many that own multiple legal firearms, I really can't see this boiling over any time soon, if ever.

Most firearm owners that have multiple weapons are farmers, it's not like people stockpile caches of weapons in their garage, it's more likely you've got Farmer Joe down the road who has a few different rifles and shotguns for them to use for vermin control.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal

can i have some please?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
can i have some please?

You might want to take it from the spare popcorn, and not the one that's quite securely in my lap...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You might want to take it from the spare popcorn, and not the one that's quite securely in my lap...

Never stopped you before
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
It is easier to get a gun if you are an active member of a gun club. BUT

Gun clubs over here don't let in every Tom, Dick and Harry, and members who don't align with safe practices etc are often booted out of clubs. Lots of gun clubs now have a pretty rigorous vetting process where they'll do background checks into potential applicants to determine if they should be allowed into their club.

And we don't ever plan on changing that.

Most firearm owners that have multiple weapons are farmers, it's not like people stockpile caches of weapons in their garage, it's more likely you've got Farmer Joe down the road who has a few different rifles and shotguns for them to use for vermin control

Precisely.

12 gauge shotgun x1
.410 shotgun x1
.308 rifle x1
.22 rifle x1
.17 caliber rifle x1
.177 air rifle x3
.44 Magnum revolver x1 - DEACTIVATED
19th century martini-action rifle x1 - DEACTIVATED

You can't shoot a bell myna with a rifle (easily) and a 12 gauge is too big - solution = .410
You can't shoot a deer with a .22 and you wouldn't waste a .308 on a rabbit
Vermin come in different sizes, and to make the job easier you need the right tools for the job
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Maybe everyone should start stockpiling spears, or have a go at killing a wild pig with their bare hands
Quote by Pastafarian96
and you wouldn't waste a .308 on a rabbit
Pshyeah I would lol
Die rabbit die.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 28, 2016,
i have always admired australia's gun policy and how quickly they responded to the port arthur massacre. i remember will saying it but he might've been quoting someone, but he said something along the lines of how it was clear that america would never ban guns because there was no reaction to the sandy hook

props australia
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Pshyeah I would lol
Die rabbit die.

But you have to eat that rabbit
A .308 round would get rid of that meat

don't eat wild Australian rabbit without checking it for a myriad of viruses like myxomatosis
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Baby Joel
i have always admired australia's gun policy and how quickly they responded to the port arthur massacre. i remember will saying it but he might've been quoting someone, but he said something along the lines of how it was clear that america would never ban guns because there was no reaction to the sandy hook

props australia

tbh if America just said "no more guns that were designed with the intent to be used on human beings in the hands of unlicensed civilians" it's be cool
Unfortunately, there are idiots in said country that think they are having their rights taken away. Firearms should be a privilege, not a right

/opinion
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

yeah i agree, and i think that's the crux of it. in america the argument over gun control isn't about human safety, but constitutional rights. for some reason words on an old piece of paper are more important than the thousands that are killed every year, but whatever
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Pastafarian96
But you have to eat that rabbit
A .308 round would get rid of that meat

don't eat wild Australian rabbit without checking it for a myriad of viruses like myxomatosis
Maybe I don't want the meat.
Maybe I just want the charred ashes of its remains.
Maybe I just want the sweet taste of victory.
Maybe I just want the sweet taste of FREEDOM.
Quote by SGstriker

:

If guns are eradicated from the earth humans will simply use other methods to kill one another hammer, knives, clubs, axes, cannibalism and my personal favorite killing method death by flatulation
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Baby Joel
yeah i agree, and i think that's the crux of it. in america the argument over gun control isn't about human safety, but constitutional rights. for some reason words on an old piece of paper are more important than the thousands that are killed every year, but whatever

Based on that, we should also ban religion worldwide, no?

And once we do that, no one will ever kill anyone again?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Based on that, we should also ban religion worldwide, no?

And once we do that, no one will ever kill anyone again?

That's exactly the sort of logical fallacy you'd take great joy in pointing out to someone else imo.

Quote by RAB11
That's exactly the sort of logical fallacy you'd take great joy in pointing out to someone else imo.

The second sentence was pure hyperbole of course, but what logical fallacy do you suppose I engaged in?
Charles Darwin
Dunno the name of it.

But saying a solution to one problem is invalid because other problems also exist, however related they are, is silly.

Don't gun-related death rates in Australia run around 1 per 100,000 or summat? And trending downward?

A big difference between there and 'merica is that a lot of American gun-related deaths are completed suicide attempts, which probably have different etiologies than homicides

It's about time we had another one of these threads
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
But the difference is that in Australia guns are NEEDED. They have saltwater crocodiles, 7/10's of the world's most venomous snakes, spiders that can kill people, plus they have battalions of Great White Sharks circling the continent like it's a dinner table.

In the USA....not so much. Here the chief reason for buying a gun is compensation for having a tiny willy.
Quote by RAB11
Dunno the name of it.

But saying a solution to one problem is invalid because other problems also exist, however related they are, is silly.

If you're going to accuse me of something, perhaps it would be a good idea to know what the fuck it is?

R: "You committed a logical fallacy!"

A: "Really? Which one?"

R: "Dunno..."

You also read far more into those two sentences than the words suggested.

Quote by TobusRex
Here the chief reason for buying a gun is compensation for having a tiny willy.

Given that women are buying firearms at an ever-increasing rate, I'm not sure your theory can be supported...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by RAB11
Dunno the name of it.

fallacy of relative privation
Quote by Skibolky
Sun's out guns out and it's very sunny down there 🏋💪👈
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I said I didn't know the name of it.

I then described what I meant when I said logical fallacy.

Disagree with it, sure, but whether or not that line of thinking has a snappy name or not is irrelevant.

I mean I understand what you're saying I think. Guns, like religion, are only dangerous in the hands of already bad people. But I don't think banning or controlling weapons is anywhere near as bad as banning or controlling ideas, and the former would have a far more tangible impact on saving lives than the latter, in my opinion.

This post is probably full of Fogical Lallacy anyway so feel free to disregard it.

Quote by Aeolian Harmony
fallacy of relative privation

Nope. While the second sentence could be considered a red herring, it's more an appeal to ridicule than a relative privation fallacy.
Charles Darwin
Let's be clear, I'm 'taking issue' with the first sentence as the second was blatantly tongue-in-cheek.

But my time spent in America was at too young an age to really have an opinion on guns beyond 'people shouldn't have them'

People who know all the different kinds of fallacies are the worst.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by RAB11
But I don't think banning or controlling weapons is anywhere near as bad as banning or controlling ideas

Why? You've already conceded that it's not the tool that's dangerous, it's the idea. No one picks up a weapon to cause others harm without a controlling idea behind the action.

Perhaps you meant that banning the tool seems easier?

Quote by ErikLensherr
People who know all the different kinds of fallacies are the worst.

Appealing to ignorance?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Nope. While the second sentence could be considered a red herring, it's more an appeal to ridicule than a relative privation fallacy.

Yeah, that's fair. It's a moral equivalence fallacy (like you said, a red herring/problem with relevance) broadly more than something to do with comparing relatives woes.

Erik's not wrong lol

But really, let's not get too off-topic because guns kill babies. yeah
Quote by Skibolky
I said I understood what you were saying, I didn't say I agreed. It also doesn't make either of us right.

Perhaps banning the tool is easier, but why does that make it the wrong option? And why should that be the only option?

But the minute you start to ban thoughts and ideas you get on a slippery slope (logical fallacy alert!!) towards a point where certain thoughts and ideas are banned because they don't suit those in power.

You don't arrest someone for wanting to kill another person, you arrest them for actually killing, or attempting to. Laws should govern actions, not motivations.

But I'm also not going to get dragged into a massive argument about guns just because of a flippant comment about how you chose to word a post directed at someone else because I really don't have the time for it.

Last edited by RAB11 at Apr 28, 2016,
Quote by Arby911

Given that women are buying firearms at an ever-increasing rate, I'm not sure your theory can be supported...

Since women don't have willies at all I think it would lend that much more creedence to my statement!
Page 1 of 2